close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have humans ever gone backwards in convenience?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mr00jimbo, Nov 10, 2012.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

Think about it. We're used to progressing through time and coming out with a more convenient (albeit less quality) way of life. Microwaves, DVDs, yadda yadda.

But have we ever gone, "Oops, we can't do this any more, you're going to have to sacrifice?"

I mean, cars have given us freedom and in cities people are often encouraged to talk public transit, which is, IMO, a step back in convenience.

Any others?

2. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Marriage.

That's all I got time for...have to go fold laundry.

3. Berto

Berto woo woo

For me, entertainment, phones and banking are still pretty much stone age compared to most.
    I don't own a TV
    I don't bring a phone with me (most of the time)
    I bank with a teller, never use a debit card or online/ATM. I pay in cash, etc.

It's not really a big deal, I prefer it that way.

4. Z71bill

Z71bill

They clear the trash from their table at the fast food place themselves. :whistling:

Pump their own gas.

Check themselves out (self scan) at the store.

BTW - I actually like pumping my own gas & using self check. so IMHO it is not really a step back - but sort of is. :dunno:

5. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

The funny thing is I think the "Progressives" are the most regressive when it comes to the conveniences of modern technology.
    Air drying your laundry after using those POS 'eco" washing machines.

Eating "organic" veggies...depite how small, nasty looking and expensive they are.

Driving slower, smaller cars....or even giving up cars altogether.

Could go on and on, but seems that some people look at real progress as an evil.....and they ain't all Aimish.

6. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

I love the self checkout at walmart. Great for paying for the embarrasing feminine hygene products the wife put on the shopping list.:embarassed:

7. Altaris

Altaris

I think the cars really depend on what city/location you are talking about.
    In a place like Tokyo, I could get just about anywhere I wanted with the subway, and it was cheap, and I didn't have to worry about driving. To me, the act of driving is a huge inconvenience, so having someone else(the train), do it for me, is a step up imo.
    Now take a place like pretty much anywhere in Texas. Everything is so spread out you need a car to be able to do anything, so in that case trying some type of mass transit would be a giant pain.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  8. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Don't know the answere to the question, but I do know this...................get ready, we're all about to find out.

The slow growth, almost non existant economy, high unemployment......and most people want these things as was proved a few days ago, yeah.....we're in for quite the ride.

Backward.

9. JerryVO

JerryVO

Shaving. I started in high school with an electric razor and as I got older I want with a Mach 3 and a can of gel shaving cream. Took longer but gave a better shave. Now I use an old school safety razor and a badger brush and bowl. Takes even longer but a great shave. I am even looking at straight razors now. All were technological steps back but much better in quality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

10. OrangeJoe

OrangeJoe Machetes & Guns

Timekeeping. From a centralized system where you could go lookup what time it was, to pocket watches, to wristwatches... Back to pocket watches (cellphones) most of which get their time from a centralized system.

11. Annhl8rX

Annhl8rX

While my iPhone makes a lot of things very convenient, it is definitely less convenient to make a phone call than it was on older, non-smart phones.

The technological development of automotive engines has made them more difficult to work on at home. I suppose that could be considered a step back in convenience.

12. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Driving somewhere so you can lift heavy things and run. It really makes no sense whatsoever. HH

13. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I gave up my plasma rifle for a Glock. The place that supplied the batteries went belly up a few weeks ago.

14. CAcop

CAcop

It does if you realize the vast majority of people do not farm with handplows or shovel dirt in and out of trenches.

People go to climate controlled offices or businesses, plop down and work for 8-12 hours sitting on their butts. They need to have physical activity or die sooner. Either they put down the mouse and pick up a shovel and start digging or they go to the gym.

15. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Fountain pens.

Still have ballpoints everywhere, but if available, I'm pulling my Lamy out of my pocket.

16. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

A simple example would be the Roman aqueduct. For several centuries the Romans built/used/maintained them to provide an abundance of fresh water to create thriving cities in places where it would otherwise have been impossible to do so.

Eventually, the bread and circuses crowd (the takers--a.k.a. proto-Obommunists) would end up gutting each other while fighting over mud puddles... Sometimes in the shade of those very same aqueducts; and all without the slightest clue as to what those structures were, much less how to build/use/maintain one.

Human history is filled with the stupid and pathetic overwhelming--and often destroying--the people around them who make life more meaningful than a fight over a mud puddle. It will never change, at least not so long as there are humans.

Over 100 years ago a man much smarter than myself warned of what follows in the wake of the Hope-A-Doped hordes:

The wise build upon greatness that already exists. The Hope-A-Doped (in their inimitable arrogance) believe they are simply entitled to greatness. No matter what happens, they will stand around the most meager puddle, and convince themselves they have conquered the sea.

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Absolutely beautiful!

18. captainstormy

captainstormy

Happens pretty much every time a great empire falls.

But if your talking about by choice, some people do it but most don't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

19. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

The progressives believe that the human race must use fewer resources. You can achieve that one of two ways. One of them is for everyone to consume less, the other if to have fewer people using resources.

It never occurs to the idots to go look for more resources.

20. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

Not only will they not look, they restrict others from doing so.

All while claiming that butterfly farts and puppy dog kisses can feed and power the world.