close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Have Glock triggers changed, or is it just me?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by btmj, Feb 9, 2010.

1. btmj

btmj

I have a G17 which I bought new in 1990. It is the only handgun I have shot for the past dozen years of so, and I have not shot it much in the last couple of years. It is a Smyrna Georgia built weapon. It has a S/N prefix of “MV” indicating it was made in 1990, an early Gen-II.

I recently bought a new G19, this one made in Austria. It has a S/N prefix of “NPH”, indicating it was made in 2009: a late Gen-III.

Internally, they are remarkably similar. The main spring of the G19 is captive on the guide rod (which confused me at first), but other than that, it all looks the same.

Odd thing about the trigger pull: The twenty year old G17 has a smoother trigger pull, particularly the take-up. The G19 is slightly “gritty” by comparison. It is not a big difference, but it is there. From the reset point to the break, both weapons feel pretty similar (although the G17 may have, perhaps, a slight advantage). But with a full trigger pull, it seems the G19 is just not as smooth.

When I bought the G19, I handled and dry fired most of the new Glocks behind the case, including a G26, G22, and G23. All of them had a really similar trigger feel… I would have noticed if the trigger of my G19 was inferior to these others.

Is this just a matter of break-in ? I have shot about 1500+ rounds through the G17 over the years, and the G19 has only had about 100 rounds so far. Maybe the G19 will improve with more rounds? Maybe the G17 was not as smooth when it was new, and I just don’t remember what it was like 20 years ago.

Or is it just a matter of gun to gun variation? Maybe I happened to get a really good G17 back in 1990?

Thoughts ?

2. StanA

StanA Millennium Member

My G32 that is now around 15 yrs old was way smother than a 19 I picked up about 9 mouths ago for sure. (yes even when new on the 32).
    The answer, I am not sure what to tell you?

3. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Could have gotten smoother over the (20) years of shooting.

4. mesteve2

mesteve2

1. I put in a smooth trigger in from a full size Glock or

smooth the trigger down real smooth.

2. I put in a ghost 3.5 .lb sear.

3. I do .25 cent polish job on all moving parts.

4. Lub. properly.

5. Dry fire a bunch.

6. Then take it to the range.

good luck the above works for me.

Not a Glock armor or rich man.

5. telecster

telecster

.25 trigger job. It is easy and it works. Good how to's on Youtube

6. cciman

cciman

Yes, break -in, or polishing, will improve trigger pull over time. Improves weapon function over time too-- everything becomes smoother, even the shooter.

100 rounds is miniscule.

7. Asmodeus6

Asmodeus6

Yessir! I did mine before I ever fired it. It didn't seem like that much of a difference at first but after applying some high pressure anti-seize copper lubricant (similar to the OEM lube) and dry firing it a bunch the first couple days, the pistol really smoothed out the trigger take up.

Without firing a single round!

8. blhar15

blhar15

Glock has not changed their triggers over that period. Probably just do to loosening up over time.

9. English

English

I believe that Glock have actually improved the quality of their trigger actions over the years but the nature of the bearing surfaces of the trigger bar against the FP safety plunger, the connector and the firing pin lug are such that they wear smoother with use. The 25 cent trigger job attempts to replicate this process.

My second Glock has a brilliant trigger action thanks to about 12 hours of work and thought (I was still learning and I'm faster now!) and a Ghost Tactical connector. Apart from the lack of an overtravel stop, a G19 I borrowed from Gabe Suarez was at least as good. He had done no work on it other than fire several tens of thousands of rounds. Another very smooth one was a hire pistol at a range in Albuquerque which had also shot huge numbers of rounds. I don't think it is fair to call this process loosening up; better to think of it as wearing smooth like pebbles in a fast stream. The 25 cent trigger job give this process a huge start but is unlikely to be as good until it is completed by enough wearing smooth.

English

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Any older gun that has been shot will have a smoother trigger pull, since it basically gets polished as it wears (and springs get weaker, etc.).

11. mteagle1

mteagle1

The trigger bar is a stamped part sheared out of a strip of metal. So it is possible that your early trigger is a smoother stamping. The DVD "Making Glock's Rock" is visually a 25 cent trigger job with extras.