Have any of you ever used a real estate agent to find you a rental?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by XDRoX, Mar 17, 2017.

1. XDRoX

XDRoX

I'm bored watching the home channel. Show called House Hunters. People are using an agent to find them a rental. Is this a common thing to do?
    I've rented before. I know a ton of people that rent. I know no one that has ever used an agent to help them find a rental.
    Anyone know how these agents get paid? Do they get a flat fee or a percentage of the rent for as long as the renters live there?

2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I get people asking me to find them rentals. We don't get paid to do that.

There are rental agencies that do that. They usualy just get a finders fee and a negotiated percentage of the rent for a month or two. In most places the owners and principle employees must have a real estate license. But they just represent landlords, not buyers and sellers.

3. nursetim

nursetim

Yup, once. We got screwed in the deal, lost $800. We will avoid using a real estate agent again at all costs.

fx77 likes this.
  4. r3dot

r3dot

Yes, a lot of people use MLS that realtors have access to, and a lot of properties are managed by rental agencies.

I used one to help find me a house but she didn't find me anything I wanted. Found my current one on zillow

5. dudel

dudel

Not to find me a rental; but yes. A rental agent manages our rental properties. He's associated with a real estate firm (Keller Williams). So while he's not a realtor; his is part of a realtor office.

It appears a good number of renters, in this area, are buyers. We've had several renters that were building, and needed a place in the school district, while their new place was completed. When we moved here, we already had property here; but it was already rented. No one was going to rent to us with four cats and a dog; so we bought a place that we later turned into a rental while our main house was being redone. Both arranged though the same real estate office.

6. yellolab

yellolab

I have a 3 rental properties in NC, and use a real estate agency as the property manager. I pay them 10%(so when they send me my rental checks every month, they take 10% out for themselves), and they collect rent, arrange repairs, show them when empty, etc etc. Basically everything.

7. XDRoX

XDRoX

Thanks for the replies. That all makes sense. I was hoping that someone would say the agent would get a percentage of the rent for as long as the tenants stayed there. Like an insurance agent does. That would be rad for the agent.

Seems like lots of these home hunter shows use agents. Maybe more prevalent in other countries as most are outside the USA.

With the internet it seems so easy for people to find their own rental homes nowadays. Same when buying. I get that an agent has to do a lot of things when buying a house, but for renting, it seems like an easy quick buck. But then again you may have to show someone 7 places and then get a new hundred bucks when they finally decide where to rent.

I will be going out their a realtor next week to see a few properties my wife wants to buy. One is a 4 on 1 and one is a 6 on 1 and the other is a 2 on 1 townhouse type house. Once the 6 or even the 4 on one is paid off that would be some serious money we'd be taking in someday. Would make for a nice retirement. But man, managing 6 units could be difficult and hard to pay the mortgage when unoccupied. I'm pretty handy but this may be over my head on what I can do and have time to do.

8. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

Yes, I've done it several times through a Real Estate Agent and had no troubles. This was in Virginia. There the agent gets one month's rent for bringing a renter I think. Anyhow, I just told them what we wanted and gave several areas where we wanted and got hooked up each time within a week with really nice houses or condos.

9. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

Renting or buying, I would, and have used a realtor.

Why?

It saves time. I tell them what I want and let them look.

It saves money. They don't want me to pay more than I have to.

Look, especially in buying, I can represent myself and keep the commission, because I'm a lawyer. Instead, I paid a professional the commission they deserved (or didn't get it for myself) and got my forever home.

By the way, I wouldn't do brain surgery on myself, either... Professions are there for a reason.