Haulin a long laddder in a short truck

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by spotco2, Mar 6, 2010.

1. spotco2

spotco2

I've got a short bed (6') pickup truck with a camper shell. I've got a 12 ' fiberglass step ladder and a 28' aluminum extention ladder that I need to haul.

I really don't want to hook up my trailer just to carry a couple of ladders and I've seen guys do it inside the bed of their trucks.

What is the best way to tie these things down so that they dont fly out going down the highway?

2. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Tied on top of the truck with roof rack and put red or arange flags on the ends of them. Otherwise, put them inside and tie them to the inside and place falgs on the ends of them. But be careful or you will lose them.

3. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I'm going to tell you something that I saw once. I'm not recommending it, but you could at least fool around with the idea for use with the long extension ladder. The step ladder can probably be carried in the bed of your truck.
    OK, I'm at the lumber yard and this guys has bought several 20' lengths of rebar. He has no overhead roof rack. He proceeds to center them up on his truck and drive over them until an equal amount is extending beyond each bumper. He then gets out and ties them up tight to each bumper, front and rear. The rebar is now slung beneath the frame of his truck. Then he drives away like it's just the most common thing in the world. I was like..........:faint:

4. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

A few weeks ago I almost ran over a nice, long aluminum extension ladder on RT 4 north of Dayton.

If it were me I would make a simple ladder rack of wood to put in the stake pockets of the truck and strap them down. It wouldn't take long and then you would have it when you needed it.

5. chris in va

chris in va

That's a tough one without a roof rack. I have a 24 and 28 on my Cherokee for work but use a Yakima for that purpose.

Safe or not, I see a lot of guys will put down a couple towels on the roof and strap the ladders down with ratchets. Don't go fast though, the wind will skew them sideways and/or send it skidding behind your truck. Don't ask.

6. BEER

BEER bad example

either take the camper off your truck or figure out some way to tie the ladders onto the roof of the camper..

i never did see the point of buying a truck and then neutering it and turning it into a really crappy suv, and those stupid bed covers are ever worse.

7. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

I'd haul them like a canoe. Over the roof and tied to front and rear bumpers. Cushion the roof, of course.

8. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i agree the bed covers are useless,

but until you have a camper shell you dont know its benefits ..

and if you reallllly need a full truck bed back, it takes 5 minutes to undo the 4 bolts holding it on and take the shell off, and it takes 2 people to lift a full size glass shell off

9. Glenn129

Glenn129

Tie it on the top of your truck and get your wife or girl friend to ride on top of the ladder to hold it down.:rofl:

10. 22GlockTx

22GlockTx

I would simply open the camper shell window(the one over the tailgate), slide in the ladders, climb inside and tie them down. Hop in the truck and go, they wont go anywhere that way.

11. handyman

handyman

If you have a trailer hitch, I got an extender that fits into it.

12. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

:shocked:

This....

Just make sure you put a red flag on each end hanging off.

13. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Unless of course one of those bed covers suits your needs perfectly.
    :upeyes:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

If you try to haul a 28' ladder in a 6 (6.5"?) truck bed you WILL wreck your ladder (and likely cause some damage to someone else's car) IIRC 4' overhang is most allowed most anywhere. If you camper is taller then cab of truck look at putting a "carrier" to match height. Then fasten down (including to front bumper)

Maybe they want a truck that DOUBLES as a camper at times? I have looked hard at those (pop up) pickup campers more then once. Uses what I have and easy to remove.
    Regards "Those stupid bed covers" I put one on. I LOVE it. I can have stuff in bed and it rains/snow and it stays dry. If I want to load larger stuff I roll it forward/strap it and have full bed. (ok maybe a INCH narrower)
    IMO 18' is longest you can haul in a full size bed. (8' plus tailgate is just under 10') and you still need to weight/strap it down.

15. spotco2

spotco2

Y'all have talked me into just hooking up the trailer and going to pick up the ladders.