close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hastings replacement barrels?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Glock1963, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Glock1963

Glock1963

I did a bunch of Google searches, but I couldn't find much in terms of reviews regarding Hastings barrels. I was looking for an extra barrel for one of my 870 shotguns and saw a few Hastings.

From what I have seen, they are made in France for a U.S. company? I don't really know much about French craftsmanship when it comes to firearms but, hey, at least it's not China.

I am interested in a 26" vent rib smooth bore barrel for an 870. Hasting's own choke tubes and wrench are included. It's pretty much like new for $125.00. Is that a good price or would it pay to go with something made by Remington?

How is their quality?

2. Glock1963

Glock1963

3. jjsobba

jjsobba

I don't know a whole lot about them other than my dad has one on his Browning A5 and has had not problems with it. It has been on for probably five hunting seasons. He likes because all he had before was a fixed full choke so now he can run steel in it. As for the $125 I think that is a very good price. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

4. Glock1963

Glock1963

Thanks for your input. I am a little surprised that there's not a lot of feedback on them. I couldn't even find much on the major shotgun site.

It seems to me that the company has primarily gone the way of the rifled slug barrel and not as much into the smooth bore scene.

5. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

One additional point...Hastings went bankrupt and was sold at auction this February, by Krull Auctions.

6. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

As far as I know my 1962 German marked Walther PPK 32 was made in France and it's a little beauty. Don't worry about French craftmanship.

7. noway

noway

same here, EU is good to go

On hastings, I have 2 bbl and had a 34" turkey bbl at one time. They are all for a 870 model. bbls have held up, with std wear and tear I guess. just as good as remingtons or better. I'm also reverted back to a remington 21" turkey cantilever on my main turkey cannon but that was not due to the hasting quality or performance, I just got tired of carrying 13" of extra bbl ;)

Their smooth barrels have a wadlock design , which helps with tightnes of patterns for most field loads and don't seems to effect rifle slugs for certain type of slugs. I found my brenneke solid slugs accuracy improved , but the foster and buckhammer style slugs did not and where actually worst when compared to a remington factory bbl. But all bbl shows different gains or loss depending on load.

For example, the brenneke MP and knock slugs that uses to group at 5-7" off a bag rest @100yrds, now group 3-4", with nothing being changed outside of a bbl.

Buck shot loads out of the hasting wadlock went from 12-16" @25yrds to a nice 7"-10" consistent if I may add. I should bold that consistent part.

Could be numerous factors from the wadlock designs or different forcecone or bore ID down the tube.

Bottom line, I'm happy with all 3 bbls and the performance gains where worth it. The money I made on selling these items here and on ebay, offset the hastings coast but they are not cheap.

8. TonyT

TonyT

I have used a Hastings barrel on my Browning Double Auto - no problems.