close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has this happened to you or anyone you know?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Michael Savage, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Michael Savage

Michael Savage

What I'm referring to is someone living in an apartment (where obviously there are neighbors involved) who gets the police called on them for having their TV or music playing too loud, and are subsequently arrested at the door? Basically being arrested in your own house for a simple disturbance complaint.

I ask because both my father and friend have had this happen in the past couple years. I understand the courtesy you need to show your neighbors, and personally have never really had a problem with it, but this just seems a totally inappropriate response. If it's happened to 2 people I know I'm sure it's happened to MANY more.

All due respect to the men and women of law enforcement, of course.

2. strangepork

strangepork

A couple questions:
    Did your father and/or friend tell you what it is they were charged with?
    Do they live in the same state?

3. Kabarred

Kabarred

we had the cops called on us at my apartment for a noise complaint (party). They just scolded us and it was over.

Arresting them seems rather out of hand to me.. but then again not a lot of details were provided.

4. jp3975

jp3975

I wish they wouldve arrested my old neighbors.

I didnt mind them making noise during the day. But they liked to fight starting at 3am and occasionally sleep with music on.

I let it slide a lot and called the cops 3x. Eventually the apt owners said they had to go.

I even left a note on their door that the walls were paper thin and we could hear everything and to please keep it down after 12am.

She was a screamer during sex too. good thing i dont have kids...lol

5. jp3975

jp3975

6. Kabarred

Kabarred

the drug addicts that live above us like to vaccume and move furniture at 4 in the morning. God I wish their meth lab (or whatever) would just exploded and end it..

7. jp3975

jp3975

Sounds just like the song i posted:tongueout:

8. Michael Savage

Michael Savage

I would have to find out the specific charge. I do know that my friend spent 2 hours in jail, and had a court date or two. And not having been there myself, I'm kind of giving him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't act out of hand with the cops giving them a reason to arrest him. That's what he said anyway and he's relatively level headed.

They're both in IL.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  9. John Galt

John Galt Anti-Federalist

That would explain it. :supergrin:

10. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

The variables are numerous, so no way to give a complete response. Things like the number of previous calls to the same residence, warrants for occupants, level of the distrubance, attitude of the occupants, etc.

I worked LE in a college town for a decade. Have I ever arrested anyone for a noise disturbance? You bet your *** I did. Did I also give some a verbal warning and leave? Yep. Even when a call can appear to be the same each time to the complaintant, there are always different factors in play that the LEO will notice.

11. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Can we have the rest of the story?

Like what they DID or were WANTED FOR that led to arrest? Simply coming to the door and politely complying to a request to turn the music down is usually NOT gonna get a pair of nice bracelets.

"**** YOU, PIG" or that pesky outstanding warrant for stealing a freezer from Dairy Queen, more likely can be a problem.

12. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

I have a few times, usually during the afternoon hours before 5pm. Kind of retarded. The cops come and apologized to me and said they have to respond to the calls. I invited them in to hang out but they politely declined. That was when I was in a suburb of Pittsburgh.

I was jamming out on rock band and one of the officers asked about it because his kid wanted it for Christmas or something. I played a quick song for him and told him all about it and said I will keep it down and that people are a pain in the *** some times. They understood the 3 times it happened. I was pissed off at my neighbors though.

13. SheepleNoMore

SheepleNoMore

Not enough information to make a judgement. It is obviously possible, what they did to warrant it is not known by OP. We could play 20,000 questions, but I'm too tired. There is a long list of actions that could get a person arrested at the front door. If a person doesn't cooperate and wants to play stupid games, they will win stupid prises.

14. elsolo

elsolo

At one apartment I lived in, the four (18-20 yr old) neighbors in the adjacent unit liked to party every night until 3am with exceptionally loud music blasting, the front door wide open, and a dozen or so underage friends getting drunk and and obnoxious.

I should point out they were very proud of their extensive bong collection, so they kept it on a shelf in the living room, visible from the front window.

One night they got arrested when another neighbor lost his patience and called the cops with a noise complaint.

I wonder what parts of the story they leave out when explaining to others that they were arrested because of a noise complaint.

15. Michael Savage

Michael Savage

I could see my dad possibly having an existing warrant and wanting to leave that part out of the story. However, my friend I can say for sure in effect got arrested for listening to Tool too loud on his computer. He had no warrant.

16. Michael Savage

Michael Savage

I could see my dad possibly having an existing warrant and wanting to leave that part out of the story. However, my friend I can say for sure in effect got arrested for listening to Tool too loud on his computer. He had no warrant, and was home alone. They searched around the immediate inside of the front living area as well. Knowing this guy quite well I could pretty safely say he would not have tried to egg on the cops. As I said before though, I'll admit I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

It just seems like at the end of the day, you CAN be arrested in your doorway for a relatively mild noise complaint (TV in my Dad's case, 6 inch desktop computer speakers in my friend's). And if that's the case it makes answering the door to the police kind of a scarier thought to me than it was before.

17. farley45

farley45

Like others have said it all depends on the variables.

You could get arrested in your vehicle for a relatively mild traffic violation depending on the variables. Drunk, warrants, drugs, etc...

That's where you would need to know the charges and what actually happened besides just knowing that they were arrested when the police responded to a noise complaint.

18. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

You were pissed at your neighbors because you played your music loud enough that they felt it was necessary to call the police? Not sure I get what they did wrong that you should be pissed at them.