close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has the economy effected you personally?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by w30olds, Nov 27, 2012.

1. w30olds

w30olds Magpul whore

Just was thinking about this today. As I look around I see more and more people losing their jobs, homes, businesses, etc. The housing market is in shambles and unemployment here where I live is very high. My neighbor lost his house this month due to losing his job.

It's scary as hell right now and not looking much better down the road for the economy.

The few jobs that I've looked into ended up being a joke. Employers want skilled workers, but don't want to pay you a decent wage to survive. Has this become the new norm?

Just wanted to ask others how, or if the current economy situation has effected you, or someone you know?

Sent from my iRotary Phone

2. Detectorist

Detectorist

Yes, it has 'affected' me. Unemployment is much, much, worse than what the government wants to admit.

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

For my own family? No.

But my brother was out of a job for a little over a year. We (my retired parents and I) were able to help him with the mortgage so that never became an issue. But psychologically it was difficult for him and his family.

I just heard on the radio that "experts" are saying people are starting to be less pessimistic about the economy. They're NOT optimistic, just LESS pessimistic. WHOOPIE!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  4. w30olds

w30olds Magpul whore

I agree. I live in Georgia and I believe the unemployment rate here is one of the higher ones in the country. Even the skilled labor jobs are low and hard to find lately.

Sent from my iRotary Phone

5. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

Some of my family has been effected, but not anyone under my roof. Having a mortgage free home makes a huge difference, and the bills I have going out, are only a quarter of what I have coming in. If things were to go south for us, I could regain by cutting down on perks such as satellite TV, internet, etc. I live by a pretty simple rule, if I can't afford to pay cash for something, than I will wait to buy until I can.

6. Adjuster

Adjuster

No effect on me or anyone I know or any apparent effect in my area. I attribute this to not really having any type of manufacturing industry here. Have not heard of any hotels/resorts doing so bad that they have laid off or shut down. New restaurants always opening although there is also a restaurant closing down just as fast as a new one opens. Car dealerships are still in business. A huge amount of education jobs public, private and higher education and they are all full of students and employees. Housing prices are on the rise and we are even having a housing boom comparatively speaking. My job and income appears to increase as the economy worsens although if the economy hit rock bottom or collapsed then I would most likely instantly be out of work. I find with the poor economy homeowners file more insurance claims then they do when times are better. In good times a homeowner is more likely to pay for repairs out of pocket as opposed to go for insurance. In bad times a homeowner needs to rely more on insurance for those same repairs.

/

7. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

It will when they raise the tax rates.

8. JDennis

JDennis

In my line of work which is Sales it has. I keep track of my annual sales and have for over 10 years. This year has been down accross the board and on top of that, the market has changed in a way that the cost is up but not the values. So less profit to be made as well.

9. Travelin' Jack

Travelin' Jack Misinformed

Things have never been better for me, but its had a noticeably negative impact for many of my family and friends.

10. rj1939

rj1939

I was put out of work about a day or two after the election. A good many people at work were surprised to see me get it, but somebody had to and it isn't going to stop there (they had been getting rid of people that had missed a lot of time etc.........I hadn't missed any time or used any sick days)(my boss didn't even know I had been layed off til I wasn't there)
    I am kind of glad to not be there now, they are just looking for any reason to send somebody home.

I am ok for some time, have been getting things in better shape for just such an event.

It isn't what you make, it's what you spend.

Don't be counting on me for the financial recovery. I'm in miser mode.

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

No effect on me personally.

I'm retired

When working, the job was dangerous enough that my Wife and I knew I would not live to retire.

With this in mind I did my best, so hopefully my Wife could make it financially the day I didn't come home.
    Everything paid for and enough in 401K, etc, so even though she wouldn't be buying a new car ever year she would be comfortable.

Well life sucks.

I did live to retire but within months of my retirement my Wife suddenly died.

So now I'm comfortable but I wish the original plan had taken place.

I can think of only one fellow that lost his job in past months.
    He died of a heart attack recently.

I hang out at the local gun store. A number of people have been in trying to sell their guns because of being laid off.

12. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

Sorry to hear you lost your wife.

13. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Wife was laid off two years ago, now making 20% of what she used to make.
    Had to put off building our house. Now we might be selling our current house and put a double wide on the property until we can build.

14. deputy tom

deputy tom

Yes. I've resorted to selling and trading away things I thought I'd keep forever. This economy sucks.tom.:steamed:

15. Patchman

Patchman Florist

My belated condolences.

My wife is ready to retire after 30+ years from the county hospital. Sudden, unexpected death (either her or me) after retirement was something we talked about yesterday and will continue tonight.

16. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Well I lost my job back in August and have been sending out resumes. I see the same jobs posted every few weeks with positions not being filled. A lot of the jobs now require you to basically have 3 degrees to work their one job. Seems they are compressing positions that used to be 3-4 jobs into 1.

I am making do and my kids are still going to have a good Christmas. Helps they figured out the Santa thing too :)

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

YES!

In 2007, I was pooping $. Life was good. Business was rich. I decided that fall to buy a small lakeside cabin. Looked like the perfect time to do it.

12 months later, my quarterly billing didn't cover my bills. WHOOPS!

Four years later, I'm still a bit behind where I was back then. Plus with financial reform and some upgrades at work, my fixed costs have risen.

Am I on the foodstamps? Heck no! But has it affected me? Yes.

18. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

My girlfriend's bank has been losing money the last couple of years and they have started laying people off and downgrading their pay. They finally got to her a month ago and downgraded her. Several of the other smaller banks are doing the same thing.

One brother's CPA firm is doing about ten percent less business because of the downturn (with many of his clients going otu of business).

One of my best friends got laid off a year and a half ago and had to ask to be activated full time in the National Guard to pay his bills.

Another brother sold his construction company three years ago, because he could see where things were heading and the people he sold it to are just about to lose it.

You see buildings for rent everywhere. I stayed at a Hilton in Florida over Thanksgiving, and if it was 1 per cent occupied, I would be surprised.

You see it everywhere you look, if you look. They were all hoping Obama was gone.

19. klmmicro

klmmicro

I still have my job and my family is OK, but everywhere I look it is bleak. I am in appliance repair and the number of households with one or more people unemployed is disconcerting. The news keeps babbling about things improving, but it is the stealthiest recovery ever.

It does have an effect when you see the down side regularly.

20. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

I'm grateful to still have a job but as a government employee in a state that balances the budget, I'm bringing home less money than I was 4 years ago. My wife is a county employee that is bringing home less than she was 4 years ago also.

In the same 4 years, gas doubled, food prices have gone up about 20% and nothing else seems to be cheaper either.

I know we are much more fortunate than those that lost their jobs but the economy is hurting us. It is also hurting those whose goods and services we used to pay for that we had to cut back on.