Has the "Carolina squat" made it to your town yet?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RPK Clone, May 24, 2019.

1. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

I can't answer the question directly. IF the truck left the factory with the 35's, and all of the suspension geometry, drive-shaft length, axle gear ratio's (ring & pinion sets), pinion angle(s) were designed for those specific tires then-NO, it should not be a problem.

BUT... If the tires were added AFTER the truck left the factory... you are driving a magic trick.. That trick is the disappearing $$ from your wallet. Easy thing to do is check the manufacturers sticker in the drivers side door jamb, or it could be on the leading edge of the drivers door down below the latch. That federally mandated sticker will have the tire size indicated that the trucks suspension was designed around. Some "add-on" dealer packages have the vehicles being delivered with factory size wheels & tires, then the dealer "bubba's" the truck to sell them. I had one Bubba arguing with me that his truck left the factory with 35's... I pointed him to the sticker in his door jamb... That shut him right the F up... It would be a federal offense for a MANUFACTURER to falsify info on that sticker.. Once delivered to a dealer though-all bets are off.

In regards to your (C)raptor... I think you should just leave it alone and not think about it.. I'll be here to put humpty-dumpty back together again when the time comes. Or, trade it off as soon as it starts to have problems. When the lifted trucks come into my shop it's usually a slew of issues all at once that originated with the lift kit & 'tard 'tars.. They come in needing ALL of the front end suspension components replaced.. I mean EVERYTHING between the 2 front tires, from one side to the other.. and the trans... and the chain inside the t-case will be stretched.. and... and.... and...

ZekerMan, larry_minn, 63Bravo and 3 others like this.
  2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

My mental capacity is fine , your sense of irony and humor are lacking.

Lighten up Francis.

FYI a well developed sense of sarcasm is liked with the upper levels of mental capacity , not the lack of it.

The more you know..../
    https://www.lifehack.org/303037/researchers-find-3-reasons-sarcastic-people-are-more-intelligent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    G30SF/F-250 and pgg00 like this.

3. DaverZ

DaverZ

I just call it stupid,i grew up in tampa

IamtheNRA and RPK Clone like this.
  4. DaverZ

DaverZ

I have known guys that jacked up their trucks and put the big tires on but they trailered them to the mud pits.I would venture to say that most jacked up trucks with the tard tires never see mudd pits or even go offroad,it's more like look at me I have tiny man parts but my truck is bada**.I can see very few reasons for me to own a 4X4 that is 1- I live in the country and go on un paved roads 2- I live up north with ice and snow or 3- I use it for hunting and go off road doing so.Since none of those apply to me,I live in Florida and my knees are shot so I don't hunt.I went from a 2003 Silverado extra cab to a 2018 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner crew cab.Funny thing is that my Frontier has a higher ground clearance than the Chevy did and came from the factory that way.From a small v8 to a v6 I.m not looking back.

Attached Files:

ZekerMan likes this.
  5. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

It is not IF Raptors leave the factory, they do leave the factory with equivalent 35s (they actually use metric size and 35 means bigger than 34.. a 35 inch tires is likey not exactly 35 but under)

Hummer H2s also had 35s stock. H1s have 37s stock.

ranger1968 likes this.
  6. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Most 4WD do a lot more mall crawlin than anything else.

I doubt more than 10% of Rubicons are taken off road more than a few times in the vehicles lifetime.

pgg00 likes this.
  7. HarlDane

HarlDane

Maybe it's just the group of guys I go wheeling with, but every single one of us knows the consequences of lift kits and mud tires and we upgrade accordingly. I've got fully rebuildable 2.5 ton steering components, extended sway bar links, adjustable drag links and control arms to get suspension geometry back inline, heavy duty ball joints, etc. Of course nobody I know would be caught dead bringing their Jeep or truck into a shop for suspension work so I suspect there is a some degree of selection bias going on.

ranger1968, G30SF/F-250 and pgg00 like this.
  8. Kith

Kith

RPK Clone likes this.
  9. Kith

Kith

bold will get you a fixit ticket in pa if officer is in a feeling nice mood. else you can pick up your vehicle with a tow truck or bring four legal tires to impound.

dime test: drop a dime straight down from the fender. if it hits rubber you broke the law, son. pa says tires must be contained within fenders - pa is made of stone, nobody likes stones tossed at windshields.

ZekerMan, Rizzo and DonD like this.
  10. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

harldane-I completely agree with what you are stating. Most of the people that bring their lifted 4x4's in for work are NOT hard core crawlers, or mechanics, or even people that usually do their own oil changes. They thought the lifted truck & 'tard 'tars was a "kewl" thing to do and by way of sheep-think, they Bubba'ed their truck. These same people use the cheapest shop in town to install the cheapest china made lift kits they could find.. You know those kits that have NO MEANS included in them to fix pinion angle... The instructions with those kits do not even mention checking, or correcting, pinion angle, drive shaft length, shimming of the carrier bearing (on 2 piece shafts), wiring extenders for the wheel speed sensors, longer shocks for the added length between shock mounting points, extended rear brake flexible hose, or any of the other things that are altered/affected when doing the Bubba Shuffle.. Please don't get me started on the "dealer installed lift kits". They are some of the WORST ones you will ever see.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "selection bias". There is no "selection" on my part, nor is there any bias. I just work on what comes through the door. A "bubba'd" truck is a "bubba'd" truck-regardless of brand, or owner. Yes, we have had our fair share of Jeeps come through here with BIG! BIG! drive-line angle problems.. That super-short drive shaft in the rear on some of the Jeeps makes getting driveline angles darn near impossible when a 6" body lift is performed. You have to essentially change the engine angle by modifying the engine mounts, the transmission cross-members, modifying the mechanical levers for the t-case, and swapping to electric fans due to clearance between mechanical fans and the radiator, and lots of other fun stuff.. Yes, they look goofy as **** when done but Bubba wants what Bubba wants.. Bubba will not be denied.

What kills me is the "mall crawlers" who Bubba their truck and then cry and complain when you show them all of the damage that their vehicle has sustained through the problems created from a cheap lift kit, and/or poor installation. Of course few of them were told when they Bubba'd their truck the consequences of those poor choices.. They just think I'm the criminal for trying to charge them a fair price to fix the stupidity that was perpetrated by some other shop (that got paid promptly & happily) that butchered their vehicle.

I had one in recently where they did a rear axle flip to lower the rear end... The pinion angle was so bad that just pushing the truck by hand with the trans in neutral would result in a binding up/release/binding up/release feeling.. When we racked the truck up the nose of the rear diff was pointing at the underside of the bed..... Yes, a "shop" did this installation for him and they got paid to do it.. It only came to me because the first time they tried to drive it on the freeway-leaving the shop that did the drop-it broke the transmission bell housing due to extreme vibration. So, it's not just the lifted trucks that can be troublesome when not done right.. The lowered trucks are just as bad and present a completely different set of problems to be addressed.

-Long Live Bubba!

ZekerMan and RPK Clone like this.
  11. Misunderstood 1

Misunderstood 1

My wife and I just returned from Myrtle Beach where we bought a house while we were down there we saw many trucks in the squat position I thought to myself what the heck is this all about I am very open-minded and I don't follow Trends much my toys are very much out of the box I have a chopper and I drive in El Camino I listen to punk rock still at the age of 60 and I usually raised eyebrows whenever I open my mouth but when things just simply don't make sense I got to wonder what the heck are they thinking I guess there will always be people who will jump on any stupid bandwagon, so long

RPK Clone likes this.
  12. DonD

DonD

What's much worse are the ricers who put insane camber on the rear wheels, maybe 40 degrees. Destroys handling, braking, ride and causes extreme wear on the suspension but these clowns think it's cool. Don

Edited to add a comment about monster exhaust tips. Inversely proportional to the IQ of the owner. Don

IamtheNRA likes this.
  13. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Lifted trucks are absolutely pointless. You lose all of the utility and it’ll only cost you several thousands of dollars for the lift, the rims, and the skins.

DonD likes this.
  14. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Oh, yeah...I've seen plenty of those guys around here.

Enjoy buying new tires every 3,000 miles, morons!

DonD likes this.
  15. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I was searching my memory banks and at first thought we used to call that dagoed. My bad, a dagoed vehicle is dropped in the front with a higher rear end.

Gfive45 and RPK Clone like this.
  16. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Good! It keeps Vato Zone workers and suppliers and discount tire shops in business.

DonD, RPK Clone, TBO and 1 other person like this.
  17. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Vato Zone... :laughabove:

18. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    If you are doing any offroading, a bit of lift is beneficial, as it allows the vehicle to clear obstacles without high centering or otherwise stopping or damaging the vehicle; a good lift setup will include modifications to the driveline and steering components that prevent undue wear and which maintain the utility of the vehicle....

RPK Clone and ScarFace88 like this.
  19. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Yup.

20. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

The problem here is that you're advocating for moderation. That kind of thing has absolutely no place on GT. Any sort of philosophy or development needs to be firmly founded in wildly hysterical extremes.

RPK Clone and ranger1968 like this.