GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Patrol Corporal
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine on my squad is getting a bolt action in .300 Win Mag. He wanted a scope that would give him good imaging in low light.
I had always had good luck with Nikon scopes and found them to be extremely bright with amazing light gathering lens systems.

He said he did too but that Nikon had stopped making telescope sights.

Does anyone have any info about this?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Yes they did. I for one will not buy any on the shelf because I'm unsure that they will repair them. I like Nikon scopes, but I don't like their ways.

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
8,794 Posts
They quit making scopes within past year. I didn’t like it either, they had good scopes.

For me, Vortex has filled the void at about the same price.
Me, too. I’ve owned a lot of Nikon glass.

I went to buy another one for a rifle I have on order, and I ended up with a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 BDC instead. I have high hopes.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Yes, they wussed out and got out of the hunting optics biz. I have several Nikon scopes and have always found them to be clear and durable. Natchez has a good supply still and at good prices. I just got a nice fx1000 4-16x50 there for my .338 win mag.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I think a lot of the guys that built scopes for nikon started swamp fox optics.

·
With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,876 Posts
You can still find some available and at decent prices.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Nikon did quit making scopes and it's a crying shame. I have two rimfire scopes and they're fantastic. You can still find some on the web, though.

·
20,876 Posts
Yea, but as someone else already stated - how long will they actually warranty a problem now...
The company isn't going out of business, so they should cover the warranty in full.

·
20,876 Posts
When they get out of that business totally, do you really think they are going to have parts and what not? I disagree with you
Of course nobody (including you and I) can predict the future, but they are still in the optics business so they should. If they don't then it could cripple their business if potential buyers won't purchase because they think the company won't stand behind their products.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Academy did a recent clearance sale of all Nikon scopes, the prices were insanely cheap.

·
20,876 Posts
Like the lifetime deck warranty on my Snapper Lawnmower? Yeah, Right
Hasn't the Snapper brand been sold and resold and gone through bankruptcy? If that happens to Nikon then let me know. Nikon has been around for a hundred years. They will likely honor their warranties.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have a Monarch BDC on my .300 win mag. I wanted Swarovski or Leupold but the Nikon was great glass!

It has been stellar on my rifle. If buy another scope it will be a Leupold or a Nightforce.

·
M62/76
12,124 Posts
I’ve owned a few solid Nikon scopes over the years, I didn’t realize they stopped manufacturing them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts