Has COVID-19 Screwed Ammo Prices?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Operator_AF, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Operator_AF

Operator_AF

I'm seeing WWB 9mm FMJ going for $.32 per round, other brands high too; .223/5.56mm is also up. Probably some price gouging, but once ammo prices jump, they seldom return to the previous "normal". I've been in this game since 2004 and this was by far the worst panic buying spree that I have ever seen. Far worse than any election. I'm afraid all the panic buying may have screwed the affordability of some cartridges. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think consumers may have shown how willing they are to pay $$$ for items that used to cost $$ (because of a perceived need to buy as much as possible) that now we're generally going to be struck with paying $$$.

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Of course prices will drop again eventually, it's called competition. Until this disaster happened prices were better than they've been in a long time.

I think inflation will be a bigger problem.

Blanton, Valmet, nerr and 2 others like this.

3. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Supply and demand.
    It isn't a new concept, but expect the pricing to go up from where it was. Probably not much, but still.

4. Operator_AF

Operator_AF

So, I guess you would charge $10 for a single N95 to a hospital that needs them? Supply and demand, right? There's supply and demand and there's also right and wrong. Jumping the price of ammo by $.10 per round is excessive. But, that's my opinion.

5. B C

B C

Earlier I revisited the walmart clearance thread from Nov to remember the good times when ammo was cheap.

This was my pic from then
    20191106_144800.jpg

Clips N Glock, FullClip and theory9 like this.
  6. Evan008

Evan008

I actually thought the same thing. It'll probably take a awhile for it to return to "normal".

7. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

There is such a mad rush of new gun owners right now.

Demand is high because there are a lot of people scrambling last minute.

Demand in local stores are stripping supplies and stores are buying to keep up with demand. Online retailers are seeing demand, too, plus shipments are going to get delayed.

It’s just supply and demand economics.

Typically, the already established shooters and owners have enough supply to weather the short term. I typically acquire 1000-2000 rounds at a time, long before this hysteria kicks in.

9 mm is scarce because it’s the most popular caliber.

People like me, adopt 9 mm, 40 S&W , and 45 ACP altogether which helps with transition from caliber to caliber easily. It is why I stayed with Glock pistols since operation, mechanics, and maintenance are consistent from caliber to caliber.

Shoot other 9 mm for pleasure but they’re not my carry or defensive guns.

A store was liquidating reloading supplies so I bought everything I could want for powder and primers I could ever want for a long, long, long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram
    Muzzleblast_MD

Lowcountry_Glocker and fredj338 like this.
  8. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

COVID-19 hasn't screwed ammo prices, HOARDING and panic buying screwed ammo prices.

9. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

I won't play troll games with you.

Syclone0538 likes this.
  10. fredj338

fredj338

Give it 6mos. A lot of people are losing jobs, maybe 5m by next month, & once the money dries up, people stop buying. I dont buy factory ammo so dont really care but feel for my friends that do.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Macc283, AdamRodgers, Gokyo and 2 others like this.
  11. fredj338

fredj338

Well a lot of it is first time buyers & casual, shooters dont keep much ammo. So they hear it's flyng off shelves, they go buy a few boxes. Million x anything is a lot. I don't think its a lot of hoarding, but that term is a moving target.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    MedicineBow and LostinTexas like this.
  12. SilentRecon

SilentRecon

Patience. Virus will diminish, Trump will be reelected and then enjoy cheap ammo again like we've never seen. Don't fall for the trap

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Valmet, triggerjerk and Jeff S. like this.
  13. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I only go shooting once every few years. I think, all told, I've got about 400-500 rounds of ammo total. In calibers .40 S&W, .38 Special, .357 Mag, .22 LR, 9mm, and 7.62x39. I've got the most in 7.62x39, and close to 100 rounds of .357, and over 100 rounds of .40 S&W.

If I can't defend myself with that on my quiet little street corner, then an extra 500 rounds isn't going to matter. Thankfully I'm in an area where I can quickly bug out if I absolutely have to.

14. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Oh yea, I cleaned out my garage, and checked my stash of over (thousands of rounds) (insert caliber here), only wish I had was more Wolf .380 target FMJ.

15. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

This is actually a good and necessary infusion of cash for the arms industry. It was getting dire there for a little bit.

. . . and if you're stocked up appropriately, its not affecting you at all.

16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Boy oh boy...

I could care less about Covid and the ammo prices! On 'this subject,' I reload! Case closed there.

My concern, NOT FEAR, is my wife and daughter, 'serving as Medical Professionals out on the front lines' pouring out their lives for others! 'I know,' we're over here on GT for entertainment purposes, and it is not even greatly entertaining most of the time, and one reason I stay away for long periods of time, and then, as recently, show up in spurts for a season. But While other folks may be shut in freaking out over all manner of things, my family is out in the thick of this plague on the earth, and this concerns me, NOT SCARES ME, more than anything else...!

I'm not ranting on anyone, Just Sayin...!

John 14:6

CanyonMan
    :horse:

benben, nerr and fredj338 like this.
  17. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

...... and that is why I had been stocking up on components for years......

nerr likes this.
  18. fredj338

fredj338

Well thats pretty optimistic. It took 4-5y for ammo prices to fall to jan 2020 levels after obummer 2012-13. I agree though, things will return but to a new normal.

SilentRecon likes this.
  19. CBennett

CBennett

I dont think so I just got and by just last week monday...9mm for $8.99 a box and a brick of Remington Target for $27

20. fredj338

fredj338

You are fortunate, that is far from the norm.

CanyonMan likes this.