close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has anyone worked at Wal-Mart?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bob_fuller, Apr 2, 2012.

1. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

I know Okie does, and a few others around here maybe. Long story short, I'm probably taking the next semester or year off of college to save up some cash and avoid mountains of student loan debt. Walmart is hiring, and I'm thinking of applying. Just wondering what it's like!

If anyone has comments, advice, or rude remarks, I'd love to hear them. Suggestions for "better" jobs are always welcome too.

Thanks! :wavey:

- Matt

2. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

If you can get in at a Costco, the pay is much better. (~40% better)

3. Restless28

Restless28

I worked part time for 5 years. I worked in the photo dept and assembled bikes, grills, displays, etc. I liked it a lot.

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

I have no personal knowledge of working there. And I have no rude comment either. As big as they are and as many people as they have working for them, they can't be all bad. My limited experience suggests it is often easier to get a job when you already have a job. As I get older, I also believe there are no menial jobs only menial people; any job well done is a good job. Finally, if you elect to work there best of luck to you, and I would suggest if you end up there that you might want to inquire about what if anything they can do for students. I know there are a few big corporations that range from allowing flexible hours all the way through tuition reimbursement for college students.

5. grmnracing

grmnracing

I worked at Walmart doing loss prevention. That was a great job. It was considered management level. Guaranteed 40 hours a week. Flexible hours. If I had to go out durning the day I would work an overnight doing surveillance on the employees while they worked. They never knew I was there in the office watching cameras.

I also worked in the Walmart Tire Lube Express. That was a fun job also!

When I worked there the economy was better and we would get great store bonuses. The discounts were decent.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  6. brob2425

brob2425

I work at a wal-mart distribution center. After being in the military too long, being able to wear what I want, lax grooming standards, 3 day weekends, good pay, and good benefits is great. I have a physical job so it keeps me in shape as well. You'll have your occasional dumbass with a childish mentality that looks down on you for working for wal-mart, but screw 'em.

Don't really know anything about the retail side, though.

7. michael e

michael e

Twice. 1st time was 17, worked in the toy section. Every parent though it was a playground and we should babysit them while they ran around and torn crap up. After 3 months of not being allowed to leave on time ( state law says students in HS have to get off at a certain time) I turned in two week notice and was told not to worry about working it.
    Second time lasted 2 weeks. Was a second job, part time. They had me working 40+ didn't want to let me off on time for my real job, and was working 3 days a week from 6 am till 1am, not counting drive time. 2 days a week working 10 hours a day, other 2 working 12+, told them if they didn't move me to part time like I was hired for I was done. They didn't want to I was just working two jobs to pay cash for my motorcycle, I quit and just waited 2 extra months.
    It could have just been the managers I delt with but they acted like WM was the only place that mattered and wanted you to dedicate your life to them and didn't give a crap about anything else.

8. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

I put on a blue shirt and pretended too and when people kept coming up to me about where something was I sent them all the way to the other side of the store :supergrin:

:50cal:

9. jp3975

jp3975

Overnights will offer the most hours and pay. There's also less customers to deal with...with the only down side of it sort of killing any weekend plans. Id stay away from stocking. It was lax when I did it for the most part, but now they have time limits for working a dept. If you run into someone you know, or a customer wants something, it can be a pita to get it done on time. And Id hate working under a stop watch anyway.

Here are the jobs Id go for in that order:

Loss prevention
    Maintenance
    Tire/lube
    Cashier
    People Greeter.

10. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

I never worked at Wal-Mart, but I did work my way thru college and I've had several retail jobs.

Instead of "taking a semester off" consider continuing college part time, maybe only one or two courses at a time, while working full time. Meet some chicks.

It doesn't even have to be at your main college, just make sure the credits will transfer. This may work best for easy junior college type courses, maybe basic English or a language or history or some other basic courses, or even just fun electives like tennis or ballroom dancing.

Select "pass-fail" if all you want is a few credits to your, um, credit.

[​IMG]

11. Averageman

Averageman

No, you have to drop and kick Salami if you do.

12. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

haha I think I'd at least be a slightly better worker than that one! :supergrin:

13. l0_0l

l0_0l beat that beat

DO NOT QUIT COLLEGE for any period of time/leave.... with few exceptions, you'll never go back.

14. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

Why would you quit school to work at Walmart? Make them work around your school schedule. If you absolutely must quit school to go to work, at least go into a job where you'd learn a skill. Go work construction for a summer or a semester.

And yes, I've worked at Walmart. Would never consider it (or any other retail) for a full time job unless I had no other option.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  15. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

THIS...he speaks wisdom.

16. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Good benefits. And you get insurance and stuff for working over {IIRC} 28 hours a week. Can even maybe fit into your school schedule and still be considered full-time.

17. okie

okie GT Mayor

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

18. okie

okie GT Mayor

This:supergrin:

19. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

Do you think you would be better served by taking on a semester of student loan debt in order to be ready for your "dream job" six months sooner, or indefinitely delaying your graduation in order to go work for Walmart?

If you quit school, you will probably never go back. Life begins to happen when you leave campus. Mortgages pop up, wives start nagging, and kids appear out of thin air. You'll always want to go back, but it will always have to wait until next year when you can save up enough to take off work. Then you'll need a new transmission in the car, or your heater will crap out in the middle of winter.

And Walmart is never going to pay you enough to save that kind of money anyway, nor is it going to give you any skill that will qualify you to get a better job. Walmart (or any retail place) will take your time and your life and only give you back the bare minimum amount of money needed to keep you showing up.

I'm not knocking those who have to work there out of necessity; we all do what we have to do to get by, but I cannot for the life of me see why someone would willingly give up college (which at least would qualify you to apply to be an assistant manager) to go work retail for what will most likely turn into forever.

20. rpew1

rpew1

I would stay in college and let the loans pile up. You wont be killed with interest on student loans. Better off getting that degree and paying the loans off with increased salary then to put it aside and save up (you never put aside money like you think you will).