Has anyone used 800-X in 45 Super loads???

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by G20gunner, Mar 19, 2010.

1. G20gunner

G20gunner

I'm getting a G21 and already ordered a LW barrel and heavy spring so I can fire 45 Super out of it. I bought 4lbs of 800-X for my 10mm. I thought that should work well for the 45 Super also, but I can't find load data ANYWHERE:upeyes:. I also have some HS-6, is that usable?
    Thanks for any input.

G20gunner:wavey:

2. 21Glock

21Glock

Hi buddy,
    I'll check around for you, too. I've some .45 230gr. Rainer JHP slugs(only a 100) coming in today from Midway. I'll be so glad when this crazy run on components is over. Maybe in Nov. when the DEMS get "taken out to the wood shed" at the voting booths, things will get back to normal again.
    The powders I've seen most are Power Pistol, AA#7 and Blue Dot and maybe another one or two I can't remember at the moment. I was wanting to use some AA#5 I had and I heard it was too fast and would spike up too much for .45 Super loads. I use it with my 45ACP stuff and it does great.

3. G20gunner

G20gunner

Hi 21Glock:wavey:. I know, most of the powders I see are the ones you've mentioned. I guess if there's no data for what I've got I'll have to make another order for a suitable powder. I just hate to get hit with another HazMat fee after making an order not too long ago:upeyes:.
    Thanks for the helping hand, my friend:supergrin:.

G20gunner

4. 21Glock

21Glock

I wonder if there is a local gun shop or gun show in your area soon. I get all my stuff at the local gun shows or gun shops, primarily gun shows. Primers, they are scarce everywhere you look. Either way, no hazmat fee
    to pay.
    It really gets me how the price of powder and primers is almost or over doubled with the hazmat fee thrown in. It is such a ripoff!

5. G20gunner

G20gunner

I do have a couple of gunshops I could check out. I haven't been to them in a long while, so I don't know what their prices are now. But I guess I could pick up at least a pound of powder if the price is right.
    Thanks, 21Glock.

G20gunner

6. 21Glock

21Glock

Just trying to save you some money. My UPS guy just brought the 230gr. Rainier JHP 45 slugs from Midway. If they're accurate, I'll get 500 next time instead of just 100. I won't be shooting that many .45 Supers in the near future, but when get a good deal on JHP slugs or any components for that matter, you'd better grab 'em these days.
    Where do you call home? It would be great if we lived close enough to get together to shoot sometime. I'm in the Atlanta area.

7. G20gunner

G20gunner

I'm in Philadelphia, Pa., a good jump fron Ga. I guess the peach trees will be budding soon in good ole' Ga.
    BTW: Do you think a good hard cast bullet (Laser Cast, maybe) would work well in 45 Super loads in the aftermarket barrel? I'm like you, I don't intend to feed my G21 a steady diet of Supers, just when the magnum mania strikes me:supergrin:. Don't the Rainier bullets have to be kept to a certain velocity? I thought you couldn't push them much faster than target lead loads.
    I wish the FMJ bullets weren't so expensive. Remember the good old days when you could get FMJs really cheap at Midway and other places? I think those days are gone forever. Montana Gold jacketed bullets are really nice, I can get them on auction for like $75.00 for 500. That would last me a long time if I just used them for Super loads.
    Have a good day 21Glock.

G20gunner

8. 21Glock

21Glock

The buds are coming out, if we don't have more snow. For about 10 years or so we really didn't have much snow here in the winter. Nothing naturally like you guys have in PA. It has snowed in at least one day in each of the last 3 months since the year has started! That is very rare! Rough winter for us, at least.
    The Rainer slugs got some real good reviews on Midways web site. There is one guy on there that shot them in a .45 Colt lever action rifle to 1400fps and it took a nice deer quite well, according to him. Accuracy is reported to be very good as well.
    Well, we'll see how my 21SF likes them at around 1100fps. They should be good. They look like Hornady's XTP,only cheaper. They are $79 for 500. I bought a 100 to try them out , about $18.95. Probably the best deal that Midway has on their site for .45 JHP slugs.

9. Snapper2

Snapper2

Not sure if 800x will get you there. H-6 will according to Hodgdon's website in their loading data. Realguns website has 45super data(mostly powerpistol and unique). Handloads.com has more data also. I've used 800x with 225gr cast but just for target practice. Loaddata.com is another good site but cost around $25 a year.