Has Anyone Here Marketed Their Invention?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by wavetrain75, Oct 20, 2010.

1. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

I have an idea for a device for the construction industry. Assuming it is actually an original idea I would like to pursue it. I have assorted friends and relatives who could makeup the brain trust necessary to get a prototype going.

I've heard a lot of stories about bringing a new invention to market. One is that the larger companies will just defy the patent and outspend you in court until you give up. I friend of my Dad's who claims to have invented a boat anchor that would release when you wanted it to said that's what happened to him. Another is that the Chinese will copy it with virtually no legal recourse.

And other times it works out. Wondering if anyone has been on either side of it and what happened.

2. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Frequently not that much has to be changed to create a different item which is not covered by a patent. What you need to do is to patent as many aspects of the invention as possible. A good, and I do mean good patent lawyer will be immensely helpful here.

In general I like the idea behind patents, but I have had a longstanding personal feud with some real class A jerks who in addition to being jerks, scam artists, liars and crooks, they hired some very good lawyers and got a series of patents on some pretty basic technologies and concepts which were already in the public domain...

My question is this: if a concept has been in college text books and research papers for a quarter century how can someone come along and patent it?

Regarding my "friends" :) they might be scumbags, but they are smart.