Has Anyone Here Ever Seen The XB-70 Valkyrie At The Museum Of The USAF In Dayton?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Charley C, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Charley C

Charley C

When I was watching G19Tony's video today of a U-2 landing on an aircraft carrier, I ran across this marvelous video of the XB-70 Valkyrie when it was still undergoing flight testing.

Before I moved away from Ohio I only lived about an hour's drive from the Museum Of The USAF and I used to spend a lot of time there, so I have seen the only remaining copy of the XB-70 many times, and once while it was in the air. In spite of having studied it and read several books about it, I actually learned a few things about it that I didn't already know from watching this video. If you ever have a chance to visit Dayton, Ohio, I highly recommend visiting the Museum of The USAF and take a look at this unbelievable airplane.

Vintage documentary about the XB-70 Valkyrie aircraft.

The North American XB-70 Valkyrie was the prototype version of the B-70 supersonic bomber proposed for the Strategic Air Command of the United States Air Force . Designed in the late 1950s , the Valkyrie was a large aircraft propelled by six turbo-reactors and capable of flying at Mach 3+ speeds at an altitude of 21,000 meters, which would have allowed it to avoid interceptors , the only effective anti- at that time.

The introduction of effective high-altitude surface-to-air missiles, high program development costs, and changes in the technological environment with the introduction of intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) led to the cancellation of the B-70 program in 1961 . Although the proposed fleet of B-70 bombers was canceled, two prototypes with the designation XB-70A were manufactured and used to conduct supersonic test flights from 1964 to 1969 . One prototype crashed after a mid-flight collision in 1966 ; The other is on display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Ohio .

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  2. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

We spent a day there in 1979 during our move west. I would love to spend two or three days there.

3. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

4. DonD

DonD

Gee, feel like I'm a real contributor lately with the aircraft threads. I was in NROTC at Miami University and would occasionally go to Wright Pat and stay in the bachelor's officers quarters over the weekend to get away from things.

One time I got the WP a few days after the B-70 landed. They parked it in the grass near the runway. No one was around so anyone could wander around it. I was surprised any pilot would have flown it there. Later I was briefly in the F-4 community and any pilot I'd fly with would have downed the bird. Brake lines were badly frayed, seemingly a general lack of maintenance in terms of replacing worn out parts.

But...it is certainly a wild looking bird, glad I got the opportunity to see it. Don

5. WT

WT Millennium Member

I've been there but I don't remember it.

I do remember seeing the B-29 tanker they used in Vietnam for mid-air refueling. Also the monster B-36 inside the building. The tires on that thing were enormous.

6. eagle359

eagle359 Glock Fanboi

I have been there twice. Will go again if given the chance. If you like military aircraft this is one place you must go.

7. 3rdRRU_PhuBai

3rdRRU_PhuBai ABQ detour 8/06 CLM

I'll be there wih a reunion group in June, thanks for info.

crockett likes this.
  8. mp95b

mp95b

My father is a retired CMSGT , we as a family were stationed at Wright-Pat. Used to visit the museum every time we had family visiting. Great Place.

9. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Stationed at WP for 18 months; spent a lot of time at the museum.

wp

10. canis latrans

canis latrans

I was there a few years ago. spent two days there.

AMAZING place! SOOOOOO many things to see! and it's FREE!

and yes, saw the XB-70 Valkyrie. one of many astounding aircraft.

(my personal favorite was the SR-71)

11. Taft93730

Taft93730

Yes, visited there when I went to the Indy 500 a few times in the 90s.

That plane was amazing, along with the SR 71, Stealth Fighter, and a few others you would never get a chance to see in person elsewhere.

The Valkyrie seemed like a technological progression, but the SR 71 looks like a leap into the future, ir someone came back from the future and shared advanced technology.

These things are a good reminder of what people can do when they put their minds to it.

12. bipe215

bipe215

First impression is that's it's really big!
    Joe Walker was NASA's golden boy when he got killed in the mid air with the other XB-70.
    I always wondered how different our 'space' history would have been.

13. Al Czervik

Al Czervik

I still remember the first time at WP, back in the 70s. I could spend days there.
    The XB70 is one of my favorites....looks like you could shave with that wing.

14. Mr981

Mr981

First trip was in '85' the last in 2005; a very impressive museum.
    The B70 is a huge plane, very impressive looking and had the performance to go with the looks.

Having said that, standing next to an SR71 is an experience. It's a large plane and looks like something you'd expect an alien to come out of.
    Even today, everything about it look futuristic, 50+ years after the first flight.
    As the above poster mentioned, it was the product of a great team of designers and led by a guy (Kelly) that wrote the book on how to get the impossible done.

15. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Been through the museum quick time when I was doing work at the structures lab at Wright Pat.
    Wish I had a week to go through the displays and read everything, but I didn't ... :frown:
    I DID get a personal tour of the 'good stuff' in the hangars that weren't on display at that time ... :supergrin:

deputy tom likes this.
  16. amd65

amd65

Like the Roswell saucer and the freeze dried aliens?

huskerbuttons and tous like this.
  17. MulletLoad

MulletLoad

You know you just drove this thread off the rails now that you've seen the little green men in those hangars. :supergrin:

18. aircarver

There wasn't any problem until you TOLD 'em about the little green men .... :frown:

(Of course most of the little green men from Roswell still live out in Hangar 11 at Fort Worth NAS .... :whistling: )

tous likes this.
  19. aircarver

I know na-thing ... I say na-thing ..... :whistling:

tous likes this.
  20. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

That has always been my favorite military plane, what a beauty! Been to WP twice, and always spent the most time walking around it.