close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has Anyone Here Ever Read The Sten Series?

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Eric, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Have any of you ever read the Sten series? This is a sci-fi series, written by Allen Cole and Christopher Bunch, based in an empire where the Emperor holds things together by being the only person who knows where the Empire's supply of anti-matter comes from. There are seven or eight books in the series and they primarily revolve around a group of characters who are in the Emperor's Mercury Core. Mercury Core is the secret intelligence arm of the Empire and Sten in his buddies are in a covert ops section of Mercury, known as the Mantis section.

This is easily my favorite science-fiction series of all time. One of the writers was in the CIA and the other was in the Army, in some Special Forces unit or other. Their experience permeates every page of the series. The slang they use, the tactics, everything about these characters and plots rings true.

As good as this series is though, I have only met a handfull of people outside my family who have heard of it. Are there any others out there? Eric

2. Bilbo Baggins

Bilbo Baggins

I have read them Eric. they are a good read, I think my favorite little sideline is the Emperor and his quirks

3. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

I see I have a new mission.

I've never heard of the series, but I would rather track down a good book than watch so-called actors waste electrons in my living room.

4. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

I am gnawing my way through them now. Thoroughably enjoyable. Eric confirmed my belief concerning the Emperor.

The COBRA books weren't bad.

There was one called PHULE'S COMPANY. I don't remember who wrote it, but it was funny as hell.

About the time of MARK OF THE BEAST was a good era for science fiction. Some of the best I've ever read was from that time period. My first science fiction was Edgar Rice Burroughs, and it almost turned me away from science fiction forever. Even as a small kid I could not handle propellers on space ships, and screen doors and porches.

5. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

It didn't occur to me that my comments on the Emperor was probably a spoiler. Sorry about that.;f Eric

6. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

I read them and liked them quite a bit. Too bad the writing team seems to have broken up.