Glock Talk banner

Have you drawn your weapon in Self Defense?

• Yes

Votes: 82 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 92 43.6%
  • Came very close but gun remained in holster

Votes: 37 17.5%
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Prefer to not answer the question but I will say this. If you decide to get trained and feel you have the mindset and skill proficiency to carry concealed, and not accidentally shoot an innocent bystander in front of, near, or behind the BG, then carry every day. You won’t know when you may need a gun. “If you did know ahead of time just stay home that day” (common firearms instructor quote).

Secondly, IMO you should be able to shoot a standard LEO POST qualification (testing yourself) from your concealed carry weapon and whatever concealed carry method you use. Add one second to each of the times to account for the extra time to draw from concealment. Most in my experience, don’t train enough from concealment. When I was involved in a church security team, we had quite a few retired LEO’s that could easily qualify a AZPOST from open carry, but failed at concealed carry. I’m not suggesting you shouldn’t still carry regardless of qualifying or not on a POST as having a gun may still save your bacon but if you want to lower your risk of not being able to quickly access your concealed weapon (the guy in the Texas church shooting that was killed while trying to get his concealed gun out for example) you should be able to pass a POST from concealed carry. You will also want train under some stress so you lower your risk of shooting the wrong person a face criminal or civil charges which can ruin your life both emotionally and financially. And the tragedy of the victim and family.

I totally agree on getting into competition matches. Especially IDPA. Many will snub this as just “gaming” which it is, but anytime you can get trigger time while under time pressure and with ROs watching you closely for safety is a good thing IMO.

Personally I think it was good you posted this. Getting a dialog on SD or concealed carry on any gun forums is a good thing, especially if new to shooting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
My wife drives me nuts, she had absolutely no situational awareness - which is why I like when she goes out and takes the dog with her. The dog is aware, and keeps her aware (and protected).
@Tvov - we are in the same boat. My wife has zero situational awareness and every time I bring it up she just tells me I am over reacting and inventing scenarios that probably wont happen and am being paranoid. Its frustrating because I can CCW all i want but when she is out and alone running errands with the kiddos its on the back of my mind. But i think thats a topic for a different thread :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I totally agree on getting into competition matches. Especially IDPA. Many will snub this as just “gaming” which it is, but anytime you can get trigger time while under time pressure and with ROs watching you closely for safety is a good thing IMO.
@down-range Yes i suspect you are correct about "trigger time under pressure". I know this is not the same but when I go to the Indoor range the individual stalls are separated by thin walls. I usually try and move to the furthest area I can since I do see many folks crowded in there at times with several people wanting to take their turn to shoot their hardware. Each time this happens I feel more "pressured" and uneasy since my focus is now on the folks next to me. And lets just say that in many of these situations its not just the smell of lead wafting thru the air but also the "Essence of Cannabis".

·
Registered
117 Posts
@down-range Yes i suspect you are correct about "trigger time under pressure". I know this is not the same but when I go to the Indoor range the individual stalls are separated by thin walls. I usually try and move to the furthest area I can since I do see many folks crowded in there at times with several people wanting to take their turn to shoot their hardware. Each time this happens I feel more "pressured" and uneasy since my focus is now on the folks next to me. And lets just say that in many of these situations its not just the smell of lead wafting thru the air but also the "Essence of Cannabis".
Also, in my experience as an instructor and RSO, many that train at indoor gun range are too concerned about shot placement in small groups (looking good) with others watching rather than working on fundamentals and combination of speed and accuracy where shot placement may not look so good (actually may look rather bad) if you are pushing yourself to failure - that point where you exceed ability to make accurate shots (center mass size) and need to slow down a bit.

Personally I like stapling 6 paper plates onto a large cardboard where I can staple 6 more over them. Some I work on slow smooth draw one shot, some controlled double pair and some faster (controlled) double taps. Most people shooting at paper targets are just wasting ammo because they can’t tell where controlled double pairs or faster double taps are hitting. Also good if your range allows drawing from open or concealed holster after showing you can do so safely.

And as I’m sure you know, you can practice most fundamentals at home with dry fire. Sorry my instructor mode kicked in and I am probably not saying anything you don’t already know. And beginning to ramble….

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
…Also, in my experience as an instructor and RSO, many that train at indoor gun range are too concerned about shot placement in small groups (looking good) with others watching rather than working on fundamentals and combination of speed and accuracy where shot placement may not look so good…
Yup….guilty as charged, boss! Thanks for all of this very good info!

·
Registered
144 Posts
We are having an epidemic of shootings on the roadways here since 2020. Within the last year, a car pulled along side mine on the freeway and the driver pointed a stainless 1911 at me through the passenger side window. I quickly reduced speed in case he actually fired. He then did the same moving back toward me. I believe at that point I would have been justified to fire if he had got back in position to fire at me. Instead I took evasive action and cut across a couple of lanes and exited the freeway before he could follow. Shooting someone if you have another viable option just isn't worth it these days.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Good shot ! Was the dog charging ?
It was indeed charging, shooting a moving target is akin to hitting a baseball, you make things sort of slow down and take your shot at the right moment. This is the same owner who the year before put down 6 pups in his backyard with a 22 because they kept getting out and neighbors were complaining. They did not like the local PD attention.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
We are having an epidemic of shootings on the roadways here since 2020. Within the last year, a car pulled along side mine on the freeway and the driver pointed a stainless 1911 at me through the passenger side window. I quickly reduced speed in case he actually fired. He then did the same moving back toward me. I believe at that point I would have been justified to fire if he had got back in position to fire at me. Instead I took evasive action and cut across a couple of lanes and exited the freeway before he could follow. Shooting someone if you have another viable option just isn't worth it these days.
whoa. what caused him to mess with you in the first place? Thats crazy!

·
Registered
144 Posts
whoa. what caused him to mess with you in the first place? Thats crazy!
I think he was driving at a very high rate of speed and making abrupt lane changes passing everyone and I probably inadvertently got in his way. I looked in my rear view and out of nowhere he was inches from my bumper. I thought he was going to PIT me at 65 mph. I eased over to the next lane and that is when he pulled next to me and pointed the 45 at my face. I am glad the way it turned out and he was unable to exit behind me because I was not going to let him follow me at that point or shoot me on his terms. My next move would have been call it in and then take a defensive position off the road. Like I said, it is crazy and we have had a ton of road shootings.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
This one time in ■■■■■ my ■■■■■ ■■■■ and then ■■■■ ■■■■■ ■■. So, we just ■■■■ ■■ ■ ■■■■■. The cops were really understanding about why ■■■ ■■■ ■ ■■■■. He said it could have been a lot ■■■■■■.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a private citizen. I carry three Ruger LCR concealed hammer snub noses. You don't have time to clear a jammed automatic, fumble with a safety, or snag on clothing. I got car jacked & my wife was with me. I was 71 years old. With Jesus help I shot him twice at less than arm's length within 3 seconds. He lived and went to prison. He was already a 3 time felon. Happened so fast I did not have time to get scared. I will NEVER DRAW unless I have to shoot. Then draw and fire quickly.
I pocket carry, inside suit jacket pocket with pinned pocket holster so it does not tear through the pocked. I also carry in BOTH FRONT PANTS POCKETS with pocket holsters. I also carry a flick-bIade knife in rear pants pocket. I also have a holster attached to my center console so my hand drops from steering wheel straight down to 357 snub nose revolver. Thugs will attack when you least expect it so have your mind set to fight if you & your family want to survive. ALWAYS CARRY EVEN AT HOME. HAVE A GUN ON YOU.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Never draw your weapon unless absolutely necessary and you intend to use it. Macho display of it can be considered "assault" in some locations.
When carrying, it is best that others do not know. The element of surprise can be very helpful when defending yourself.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Never draw your weapon unless absolutely necessary and you intend to use it. Macho display of it can be considered "assault" in some locations.
When carrying, it is best that others do not know. The element of surprise can be very helpful when defending yourself.
Hell, I've been carrying concealed since the very twilight of the 80's and the only person to this day who knows I carry is the wife and the Hospital Administrator who I work for as I had to get written permission to bring my weapon onto hospital grounds, hospital system doctors' offices and clinics and outreaches and nursing homes. While on said property's the weapon is locked up in a welded all steel vault in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Ahhhh Jim, that explains it, I was working the ER one night, it was in the wee hours o tha morning when the paramedics brought in a duck with a wing wound.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Or it’s considered “brandishing” here in TN. Next act, after reholstering, would be to call local PD with your side of the story before the BGs beat you to it and what you thought was case closed, ends up with you being proned out in flashing blue lights…

·
Super Moderator
Glock 45/19X
10,428 Posts
Multiple times, both on and off-duty.

Reactions: 1L26 and LocoGlockO

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
My answer is "yes" but I'll say barely yes.

Next door neighbor beats his woman. One night she flees their house crying and screaming while running to the neighbor's across the street seeking sanctuary. Neighbor takes her in as boyfriend runs up to the good neighbor's home to get her back. Good neighbor orders boyfriend to exit the property. A brief shouting match ensues. Boyfriend returns to his house and reemerges about 15 seconds later and again approaches the good neighbor's home. I have to presume the abuser went back home to retrieve one of his guns.

I live next door to the abuser and across the street from the sanctuary neighbor's home. I unholster the G23 and stand in my open doorway with the Glock concealed from view by the doorjamb. I live in a deep blue county and didn't want to risk a brandishing charge. I considered potential shots, backstop, and so forth. The abuser never produced a weapon, and he relented and returned home.

Epilogue: She went back to him, he kept abusing her, drained the equity in her home, her 401K and bank account. She lost her job due to missing so much time. Assets were sold off until they were foreclosed on. So so sad.

Reactions: LocoGlockO
81 - 99 of 99 Posts