Glock Talk banner

Have you drawn your weapon in Self Defense?

• Yes

Votes: 82 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 92 43.6%
  • Came very close but gun remained in holster

Votes: 37 17.5%
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
5,672 Posts
Oh Thanks for taggin me RussP... :oops:

There is a mindset that you can project.

My main component is to move like you have a purpose... Look oncoming walkers in the eyes when possible while smiling... The message is I'm watching YOU, I SEE you... if they rapidly look away, or the ball cap dips down to cover their eyes my neck goes into swivel mode checking my SIX.

If you are not carrying deep cover, perform a couple of pistol presentations / draws to prove your dress is not just concealing, but also will not hamper your draw stroke. Check the mirror for any possible tells that might give you away...

IF you are using Thunderwear or Smart carry, practice often to get your dress and draw stroke as smooth as you can.

Dryfire whenever you get a chance. I work from home and have a Glock or the S&W640Pro on the desk for dry fire practice between conference calls. All of MY Glocks have the same trigger press using the 3.5 connector and the Grey 'spring' installed for consistent and more forceful reset pressure (may be helpful when the adrenaline hits!).

Shoot competitions as often as possible - You are exposed to adrenaline dumps when a group of people surround you and you know you are on the clock. Embrace the pressure - You will adapt to the feeling over time, and you will see how your hits land under stress - Plus, it's a ton of fun! :cool:

Confidence matters!

And confidence comes from embedded traits instilled by muscle memory for most of us.

Hope this helps someone out...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Excellent!!
Wow yea that was some very good info! Especially the note about the Thunderwear. I always thought that was a joke? Thunderwear is real? And 1000% agree on Confidence. You look someone in the eyes and you let them know you “see” them and I think that would help with not being selected as a victim.

With respect to Shooting Competitions - is there a basic level of firearm proficiency someone needs to be at before signing up?

·
NRA Life Member
5,672 Posts
Wow yea that was some very good info! Especially the note about the Thunderwear. I always thought that was a joke? Thunderwear is real? And 1000% agree on Confidence. You look someone in the eyes and you let them know you “see” them and I think that would help with not being selected as a victim.

With respect to Shooting Competitions - is there a basic level of firearm proficiency someone needs to be at before signing up?
Nope, no requirements except the typical "New Shooter" indoor or "Square Range" visits. Know the Four Laws of Firearms, as you progress further instruction and Range Officer training is optional, and available.

People don't understand competition shooting - "I'm gonna look foolish... I'm not a good shooter... what if I don't do well"...

That is the farthest thing from the TRUTH - The competition shooting community is always, Always, ALWAYS looking for the next top shooter that will push the envelope and have new moves that will change the sport.

New shooters are the life blood of these sports, and it is the RIGHT PLACE for a new shooter as there are hundreds of hours of experience and knowledge - and MOST of the top shooters will give you advice if ya just ask... but they do squad together - High level competitors need to continually sharpen their edge, and the other high level competitors are up to the challenge...

Case in point - Rob Leatham was visiting a local range promoting a brand of ammunition for a local gun store. So I asked my girlfriend if she would like to go - She's a babe, and Rob asked the crowd if anyone would like to test out some of the ammo... I said 'My girlfriend says she would like to do some shooting'... Ex Army girl, drop dead gorgeous, and she shot with Rob Leatham using all four of the pistols he used for USPSA! As far as I know, she had never fired a gun before... Yet Rob was patient and guided her through the whole experience. :D

And that girlfriend is now my wife... :love: Shot IDPA, some USPSA and has her CCW...

Dyed in the wool demcrat, now voting conservative... :sneaky:

Action Pistol is a great starting point - At the local club, shooters Can Be Coached in the Action Pistol match.

The side bennies of competition? Group purchases of reloading components AND feedback on ammo loading, got my first Dillon 550 for a song from another member... and HUNDREDS of years of knowledge on the range walking around for you to tap into.

Yeah, you got the fellows who are full of 'Bull Pucky' and don't really have good advice, but the good advice is there when you are watching the shooters move through the stages.

You will learn by drinking from the Fire Hose of knowledge:
+ Action Pistol - Optional Pistol Rifle / 2 gun using pistol & 9mm Carbine or 223 pistol or carbine
+Coaching Allowed
  • GSSF
  • IDPA
  • Man on Man Steel
  • Steel Challenge
  • USPSA

Get out there and Git you Some Son!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Nope, no requirements except the typical "New Shooter" indoor or "Square Range" visits. Know the Four Laws of Firearms, as you progress further instruction and Range Officer training is optional, and available.

People don't understand competition shooting - "I'm gonna look foolish... I'm not a good shooter... what if I don't do well"...

That is the farthest thing from the TRUTH - The competition shooting community is always, Always, ALWAYS looking for the next top shooter that will push the envelope and have new moves that will change the sport.

New shooters are the life blood of these sports, and it is the RIGHT PLACE for a new shooter as there are hundreds of hours of experience and knowledge - and MOST of the top shooters will give you advice if ya just ask... but they do squad together - High level competitors need to continually sharpen their edge, and the other high level competitors are up to the challenge...

Case in point - Rob Leatham was visiting a local range promoting a brand of ammunition for a local gun store. So I asked my girlfriend if she would like to go - She's a babe, and Rob asked the crowd if anyone would like to test out some of the ammo... I said 'My girlfriend says she would like to do some shooting'... Ex Army girl, drop dead gorgeous, and she shot with Rob Leatham using all four of the pistols he used for USPSA! As far as I know, she had never fired a gun before... Yet Rob was patient and guided her through the whole experience. :D

And that girlfriend is now my wife... :love: Shot IDPA, some USPSA and has her CCW...

Dyed in the wool demcrat, now voting conservative... :sneaky:

Action Pistol is a great starting point - At the local club, shooters Can Be Coached in the Action Pistol match.

The side bennies of competition? Group purchases of reloading components AND feedback on ammo loading, got my first Dillon 550 for a song from another member... and HUNDREDS of years of knowledge on the range walking around for you to tap into.

Yeah, you got the fellows who are full of 'Bull Pucky' and don't really have good advice, but the good advice is there when you are watching the shooters move through the stages.

You will learn by drinking from the Fire Hose of knowledge:
+ Action Pistol - Optional Pistol Rifle / 2 gun using pistol & 9mm Carbine or 223 pistol or carbine
+Coaching Allowed
  • GSSF
  • IDPA
  • Man on Man Steel
  • Steel Challenge
  • USPSA

Get out there and Git you Some Son!
Sweet Mother! If you wrote a book, sir, I would buy it! Thanks again for going outta your way to drop all this knowledge:)

·
NRA Life Member
5,672 Posts
Sweet Mother! If you wrote a book, sir, I would buy it! Thanks again for going outta your way to drop all this knowledge:)
Much of what I have learned came "freely''... I just had to supply the 'Sweat Equity' and the requisite budget... Just my way of giving back - RussP instigated the 'mental dump'... :D

The shooting communities across America are AWESOME resources that new shooters Must Tap to get the full experience of Firearms Ownership... The 'square range' HAS NUTHIN on the 'Run N Gun' stages that will really take you to the next level!

When the Range Officer goes from calling out your hits from 'C or 'D or 'Mike (Miss) to 'Two Alpha' / 'Two Alpha' when your targets are being scored - It's a Really Good Feeling - and it will come quickly for most shooters!

Left out one key point - If you feel like you are getting the 'side eye' or being held at arms lengthy - Be aware that we are all suspicious that the 'new person' might not be who they represent themselves to be... Give a club 6 months if possible to get 'warmed up' to you...

Make no mistake, shooting clubs will increase your skills tremendously in that six month period and you will be glad that you have made the investment!

Oh Yeah... I was previously certified NROI and the Public Relations Officer of our club for a while... :cool:

Might as well promote the Club Website - Western Nevada Pistol League

Carpe Diem!!!

·
Registered
13,178 Posts
A much more important question: has anyone here had a truthful letter published in Penthouse Forum?
Is Penthouse Forum still a thing?

• Haha
Reactions: Pierre!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yep. Had to show that i was carrying and ended that situation

Before i had my ccw I had to take care of 3 south of the border guys that were following my15 y/o daughter and had her trapped in an isle at Walmart. It's amazing how their faces looked when they saw the fine silver line on my trapper.
Looked the one guy in the eye with it open and nodded at him. He turned real pale and they left

That's been 15 years ago. Now the 1911 would speak for me.

I'm not law enforcement. Was medical in the military. I pay attention and if I see something weird going on with anybody I will wake up and tell them. I figure it's what we are supposed to do. It's what the Good Book tells us to do.

We are living in an evil, evil world

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been reading all the caliber debates and snubby vs semi posts as well. I know this forum is a mix of past/present LEO’s as well as active/ex military and many private citizens (like me) that are trying to carry out daily lives while also being responsible CCW holders.

With all that being said - how many of you here have truly ever had to draw and shoot in self defense? Do you have any Lessons Learned you would be willing to share?

[Moderator Note:] The Poll is for two questions.
1. Have you ever had to draw your weapon in a self-defense situation?
2. Have you displayed your weapon or otherwise made it known you are carrying but not drawn?

That is the Poll.

The text of Post 1# poses a new question, "Have you fired your weapon in self-defense?" Don't answer this if you don't want to.
All this is voluntary.
You are under no obligation to respond with your personal experience.

Last he asks, "Do you have any Lessons Learned you would be willing to share?"
Here is the chance to educate others if you want to.

Let me repeat what Sam Spade said.

RussP [/Note]
civilian, not LE or military - I used a gun only once. Driving from UT into AZ back in '92 to visit my folks. Left after midnight and couldn't go any further so stopped in a pullout to sleep a couple of hours after crossing Hoover Dam a ways. I woke up in the wee hours of dawn to see an arm wrapped in a coat getting ready to break my driver's side window. I sat up, put my gun to the window at his face level and heard him yell 'GUN', then saw him turn tail and dive into an open window of a beat up old car and the car sped away. Went back to sleep but never slept in the car on a trip again unless someone else was driving! I was in my mid 20's and didn't know better, if that's any kind of an excuse. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
I understand the desire to not talk about events while in the military or law enforcement; BUT, in all other circumstances there is a saying that is really relevant now. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." Most people that are anti-2A are that way because they have no idea how often guns are used in a defensive manner. All they ever hear about is when someone was shot. People NEED to hear about EVERY time that a gun was used defensively; even and especially when the gun wasn't even drawn/presented. I'm not saying to post it everywhere unless you live in a state like Texas but you should at least be telling all your friends, relatives, etc. YOU need to be the squeaky wheel about how a gun may have just saved your life.

I have never had to draw, I have had my hand on my pistol when another driver started getting very aggressive at a stop light but that was all that happened. If I do ever have something happen I will be telling everyone, I will be a squeaky wheel.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Nope, not even close. But I'm also a "homeboy", don't go to the big cities much at all. And when I travel, it is usually to the standard touristy places that are usually safer than some bad part of a city.
These days, crime is not only in "big cities",,,It's just as likely in small towns or in the country. That's what makes it so unexpected when it happens. There have been shootouts and hostage situations in my town, which at last count has a population of just over 1200 people. Yes, twelve hundred, not 12 thousand. If you're going to carry, it should be everywhere....the grocery store, the ATM, in your car, at home, etc. I carry just like I wear a watch. It's a tool I might need anywhere, at any time.

Reactions: LocoGlockO

·
Registered
13,178 Posts
These days, crime is not only in "big cities",,,It's just as likely in small towns or in the country. That's what makes it so unexpected when it happens. There have been shootouts and hostage situations in my town, which at last count has a population of just over 1200 people. Yes, twelve hundred, not 12 thousand. If you're going to carry, it should be everywhere....the grocery store, the ATM, in your car, at home, etc. I carry just like I wear a watch. It's a tool I might need anywhere, at any time.
Very much so. Just in the last couple years my little wealthy Connecticut town has had a bunch of cars stolen, cars searched through for whatever, and shoplifting in the last year is getting out of control.

I have never had to draw, but I very much keep my eyes open to what is going on around me. My wife drives me nuts, she had absolutely no situational awareness - which is why I like when she goes out and takes the dog with her. The dog is aware, and keeps her aware (and protected).

61 - 80 of 99 Posts