Glock Talk banner

Have you drawn your weapon in Self Defense?

• Yes

Votes: 82 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 92 43.6%
  • Came very close but gun remained in holster

Votes: 37 17.5%
21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Banned
814 Posts
Bro don’t let trolls get to you. Got some great folks on this board (I’m limited experience here since I’m still pretty new). Just ignore the negativity. Some people have nothing better to do than try to get under your skin. Your question was reasonable in my opinion but likely people will give general answers…keep Glockin bro!!
I don't feel it's an appropriate question from a newbie. In fact it's pretty suspect.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
In 2004 I was at St Louis University Hospital, my oldest had a brain tumor. I went out in the parking lot to get something and 4 members of the sideways hat society, all wearing STL Blues Hockey jackets came at me. One of them yelled at me and they started towards me, I pulled out my Browning HP and told them again not to approach me..they left. I called SLU Police and told them what happened, but they never showed up. A year or so later, I was near Christian Brothers School in Memphis at a stop light, it was hot, and my windows were down. A guy unlocked my passenger door and jumped in, when I put my BHP in his face he left immediately. Two Memphis PD saw him and chased him down. They never even asked if I had a permit to carry.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't feel it's an appropriate question from a newbie. In fact it's pretty suspect.
Then don’t answer. Your option is reasonable too. I know I’m not devulging personal info on here, even if it is a bunch of freedom loving Glockers!

·
Mr. Awesome
12,751 Posts
And the narrative is different again.
SD Encounter
Drawn weapon
Drawn and shot

So, which is it? Nevermind. It doesn't matter. I'm not playing.
All three very different questions….yet, the OP is still unchanged.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
In 2004 I was at St Louis University Hospital, my oldest had a brain tumor. I went out in the parking lot to get something and 4 members of the sideways hat society, all wearing STL Blues Hockey jackets came at me. One of them yelled at me and they started towards me, I pulled out my Browning HP and told them again not to approach me..they left. I called SLU Police and told them what happened, but they never showed up. A year or so later, I was near Christian Brothers School in Memphis at a stop light, it was hot, and my windows were down. A guy unlocked my passenger door and jumped in, when I put my BHP in his face he left immediately. Two Memphis PD saw him and chased him down. They never even asked if I had a permit to carry.
wow! I can’t believe he jumped in to your car at the stop light! I’m glad your reflexes kept you laser focused in that situation!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've had to put my hand on my holstered glock to show some thug I was serious about defending myself, but once he saw the grip he backed off.
Guess he thought I was giving him the evil eye when all I was doing was keeping watch on an extremely sketchy dude. Guy started calling me all sorts of expletives and said he was going to beat my behind as he fast walked up to me with his fists clenched. Dumb ego checks almost put this guy in a hole. Worst part? He had small children and a chick with him which made me feel terrible about the potential outcome.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Do you have any Lessons Learned you would be willing to share?
Get training. You can't win your second gunfight if you do not survive the first. As a longtime LEO that is how it is. Most LEOs (and good guys) who are killed in a shooting had it happen in their first Deadly Force encounter.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I'm assuming your question is for those who carry as civilians? Military I can say I have, yes. As a civilian in 50 years I've only had to draw against another person once, back in 2014, but the moment they realized I had drawn a weapon, all 4 of them through down their bats, got back into their vehicle and sped off. The second incident involved a pit bull who broke from it's yard and charged my father, unfortunately I did have to put the dog down, one shot to the top of the head using a 45acp 230gr JHP.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Moving this to Carry Issues.

Strong recommendation for anyone who hasn't had his situation finalized legally: don't comment in detail.
VERY SOUND ADVICE

Reactions: LocoGlockO

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Get training. You can't win your second gunfight if you do not survive the first. As a longtime LEO that is how it is. Most LEOs (and good guys) who are killed in a shooting had it happen in their first Deadly Force encounter.
This answer is the reason why I made this post. Thank you and I will follow this advice 👍

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
30 years of carrying a gun both on duty and off duty. Used my gun one time in self defense and in defense of my pregnant wife. Never had to draw it from the holster. The bad guy seen it before I could draw it and he ran. Since that incident (about 25 years ago ) my wife asks me if I have my gun EVERY time we leave the house. I live on 116 acres and I don't go outside without a gun. That one single incident changed our life forever.

·
Registered
13,005 Posts
I once hailed a cab and had the driver take me to my office. Long story, but I had to zip tie him to the steering wheel so he wouldn't drive away.

Believe it or not, 2 guys robbed the cab while I was in the office and took my briefcase.

I saw them walking away so I said, Yo homie - is that my briefcase?

He turned around and pointed his gun at me so I had no choice but to draw my H&K USP 45 and shoot him twice. I then quickly shot the other guy 3 times and noticed the first guy was still moving so I shot him again and retrieved my briefcase.

It happened very fast but luckily there was no Collateral damage and I walked away.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Oooo... now I want to change my answer.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts