Glock Talk banner

Have you drawn your weapon in Self Defense?

• Yes

Votes: 82 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 92 43.6%
  • Came very close but gun remained in holster

Votes: 37 17.5%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have been reading all the caliber debates and snubby vs semi posts as well. I know this forum is a mix of past/present LEO’s as well as active/ex military and many private citizens (like me) that are trying to carry out daily lives while also being responsible CCW holders.

With all that being said - how many of you here have truly ever had to draw and shoot in self defense? Do you have any Lessons Learned you would be willing to share?

[Moderator Note:] The Poll is for two questions.
1. Have you ever had to draw your weapon in a self-defense situation?
2. Have you displayed your weapon or otherwise made it known you are carrying but not drawn?

That is the Poll.

The text of Post 1# poses a new question, "Have you fired your weapon in self-defense?" Don't answer this if you don't want to.
All this is voluntary.
You are under no obligation to respond with your personal experience.

Last he asks, "Do you have any Lessons Learned you would be willing to share?"
Here is the chance to educate others if you want to.

Let me repeat what Sam Spade said.
Strong recommendation for anyone who hasn't had his situation finalized legally: don't comment in detail.
RussP [/Note]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I highly advise no one answer this newbie with anything remotely truthful. That is a very personal question.
why is my question so controversial? If the mods want to delete it then they can certainly do so. But why encourage members to openly not tell the truth?

And yes this is a personal question so noone needs to feel compelled or obligated to reply.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bro don’t let trolls get to you. Got some great folks on this board (I’m limited experience here since I’m still pretty new). Just ignore the negativity. Some people have nothing better to do than try to get under your skin. Your question was reasonable in my opinion but likely people will give general answers…keep Glockin bro!!
thanks man - just trying to ingest as much good info from the members here(y)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
In 2004 I was at St Louis University Hospital, my oldest had a brain tumor. I went out in the parking lot to get something and 4 members of the sideways hat society, all wearing STL Blues Hockey jackets came at me. One of them yelled at me and they started towards me, I pulled out my Browning HP and told them again not to approach me..they left. I called SLU Police and told them what happened, but they never showed up. A year or so later, I was near Christian Brothers School in Memphis at a stop light, it was hot, and my windows were down. A guy unlocked my passenger door and jumped in, when I put my BHP in his face he left immediately. Two Memphis PD saw him and chased him down. They never even asked if I had a permit to carry.
wow! I can’t believe he jumped in to your car at the stop light! I’m glad your reflexes kept you laser focused in that situation!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Get training. You can't win your second gunfight if you do not survive the first. As a longtime LEO that is how it is. Most LEOs (and good guys) who are killed in a shooting had it happen in their first Deadly Force encounter.
This answer is the reason why I made this post. Thank you and I will follow this advice 👍

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I didn't respond to the poll. The poll and the 1st post together struck a raw nerve with me. It reminded me of something I, and I'm sure others here, have put up with. For example...
November 10th, every year, I wear one of my Marine Corps t-shirts to celebrate the birthday of my beloved Corps. On no other day of the year do I wear anything to demonstrate my military service, nor do I have stickers or such on our cars that say this.
A couple of old-acquaintance neighbors walking their dog came by when I was out at the mailbox, stopped to talk, and started questioning me about my shirt and my service. Within 3 or 4 minutes came "The Questions":
Did you see any action?
What wars were you in?
Did you ever kill anybody?

To the OP:
These are very personal questions. They often (usually?) come with some very emotionally charged memories. Nobody here knows you, and the trust necessary to share these experiences mostly doesn't exist on a totally anonymous Internet forum until people have had interaction with others for a long time, not with a newcomer as others here have stated.
If you have questions about how to deal with a situation where a weapon might be drawn and how to deal with it, come directly to the point and ask about training, tactics, and classes for these situations. As you have hopefully read here, many people have looked at your post with suspicion. Getting to the point where you made the comment,
"This answer is the reason why I made this post. Thank you and I will follow this advice 👍", could have been accomplished by asking different questions and not using the poll.

@Rock_Crawler_Jeep thank you for your service and for your detailed reply. As a fellow Jeeper (JKU on 35’s #JeepWave) I did not consider the emotionally charged memories this post could have triggered. That definitely wasnt my intention and for those folks that it did offend - I can only offer sincere apologies.

With respect to the poll, I work with analysis and metrics for a living so this was just my way of giving people an opportunity to cast a vote without necessarily having to divulge any info. The interesting thing here is that as of this moment there are more Yes than No results. I would have expected the opposite.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Excellent!!
Wow yea that was some very good info! Especially the note about the Thunderwear. I always thought that was a joke? Thunderwear is real? And 1000% agree on Confidence. You look someone in the eyes and you let them know you “see” them and I think that would help with not being selected as a victim.

With respect to Shooting Competitions - is there a basic level of firearm proficiency someone needs to be at before signing up?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Nope, no requirements except the typical "New Shooter" indoor or "Square Range" visits. Know the Four Laws of Firearms, as you progress further instruction and Range Officer training is optional, and available.

People don't understand competition shooting - "I'm gonna look foolish... I'm not a good shooter... what if I don't do well"...

That is the farthest thing from the TRUTH - The competition shooting community is always, Always, ALWAYS looking for the next top shooter that will push the envelope and have new moves that will change the sport.

New shooters are the life blood of these sports, and it is the RIGHT PLACE for a new shooter as there are hundreds of hours of experience and knowledge - and MOST of the top shooters will give you advice if ya just ask... but they do squad together - High level competitors need to continually sharpen their edge, and the other high level competitors are up to the challenge...

Case in point - Rob Leatham was visiting a local range promoting a brand of ammunition for a local gun store. So I asked my girlfriend if she would like to go - She's a babe, and Rob asked the crowd if anyone would like to test out some of the ammo... I said 'My girlfriend says she would like to do some shooting'... Ex Army girl, drop dead gorgeous, and she shot with Rob Leatham using all four of the pistols he used for USPSA! As far as I know, she had never fired a gun before... Yet Rob was patient and guided her through the whole experience. :D

And that girlfriend is now my wife... :love: Shot IDPA, some USPSA and has her CCW...

Dyed in the wool demcrat, now voting conservative... :sneaky:

Action Pistol is a great starting point - At the local club, shooters Can Be Coached in the Action Pistol match.

The side bennies of competition? Group purchases of reloading components AND feedback on ammo loading, got my first Dillon 550 for a song from another member... and HUNDREDS of years of knowledge on the range walking around for you to tap into.

Yeah, you got the fellows who are full of 'Bull Pucky' and don't really have good advice, but the good advice is there when you are watching the shooters move through the stages.

You will learn by drinking from the Fire Hose of knowledge:
+ Action Pistol - Optional Pistol Rifle / 2 gun using pistol & 9mm Carbine or 223 pistol or carbine
+Coaching Allowed
  • GSSF
  • IDPA
  • Man on Man Steel
  • Steel Challenge
  • USPSA

Get out there and Git you Some Son!
Sweet Mother! If you wrote a book, sir, I would buy it! Thanks again for going outta your way to drop all this knowledge:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
My wife drives me nuts, she had absolutely no situational awareness - which is why I like when she goes out and takes the dog with her. The dog is aware, and keeps her aware (and protected).
@Tvov - we are in the same boat. My wife has zero situational awareness and every time I bring it up she just tells me I am over reacting and inventing scenarios that probably wont happen and am being paranoid. Its frustrating because I can CCW all i want but when she is out and alone running errands with the kiddos its on the back of my mind. But i think thats a topic for a different thread :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I totally agree on getting into competition matches. Especially IDPA. Many will snub this as just “gaming” which it is, but anytime you can get trigger time while under time pressure and with ROs watching you closely for safety is a good thing IMO.
@down-range Yes i suspect you are correct about "trigger time under pressure". I know this is not the same but when I go to the Indoor range the individual stalls are separated by thin walls. I usually try and move to the furthest area I can since I do see many folks crowded in there at times with several people wanting to take their turn to shoot their hardware. Each time this happens I feel more "pressured" and uneasy since my focus is now on the folks next to me. And lets just say that in many of these situations its not just the smell of lead wafting thru the air but also the "Essence of Cannabis".

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
…Also, in my experience as an instructor and RSO, many that train at indoor gun range are too concerned about shot placement in small groups (looking good) with others watching rather than working on fundamentals and combination of speed and accuracy where shot placement may not look so good…
Yup….guilty as charged, boss! Thanks for all of this very good info!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
We are having an epidemic of shootings on the roadways here since 2020. Within the last year, a car pulled along side mine on the freeway and the driver pointed a stainless 1911 at me through the passenger side window. I quickly reduced speed in case he actually fired. He then did the same moving back toward me. I believe at that point I would have been justified to fire if he had got back in position to fire at me. Instead I took evasive action and cut across a couple of lanes and exited the freeway before he could follow. Shooting someone if you have another viable option just isn't worth it these days.
whoa. what caused him to mess with you in the first place? Thats crazy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts