Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just installed a set of Aro-Tek Trijicon night sights on my G30, love them. Installation was easy and straight forward.

This past weekend I took her out in the back and put some rounds down range. Sweet, she was dead on the money.

When I took her back inside to clean, I noticed blue gas markings all around the front sight. Then with closer inspection, I could see that the new sight was not quite wide enough to completely cover the tenon hole in the slide.

When the gun was fired, the gas blew up from under the sight. It did not cause any problem, and the gun shot better than it had with the factory sights.

I took a caliper and measured the two sights. The Glock factory sight is 0.152" wide, and the new sight is 0.125". That's a differense of 0.027", which is 0.013.5 on each side of the sight. Yea it's tiny, but I've never seen this before.

I contacted Aro-Tek about it, but have yet to get a response.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I will appreciate it.
Here is a photo. Hope you can see what I'm talking about. If you look close, you can see the edge of the tenon hole.

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is not limited to Glock, that is typically for all .45 ACP.
Also this comes from the front and not "out of the gun".
Normal thing, keep shooting!
Sorry brother, but I think you missed what I was saying. The blue gas marks blew out from "under" the front sight. The oval shaped tenon hole, that the sight blade mounts into is exposed. The gas blew out from that hole, as well as the muzzle. Of course the muzzle creates a similar gas burn, that is normal, but this is different.

If you look close at the pics, even enlarge them, you can see the edge of the tenon hole. The new sight is not wide enough to cover that hole completely. It's just weird, and I'm not sure I like it, even though it shoots fantastic.

·
MDW Guns
3,745 Posts
Very little gas comes through the inside of the gun, most goes out in the front of the barrel.
Matter a fact I just took my barrel out of my G31 I fired about 300 rounds since the last cleaning.
The screw of the front sight is as clean as can be while other parts are dirty.
let me ask you this: Do you have any of the powder residue on the front of the pistol?

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have any of the powder residue on the front of the pistol?
I did not notice powder residue, only the blue gas marks all around the front sight blade. It was pretty obvious where it came from. I still wonder if you understand what I'm saying. But I also appreciate your input.

The gun had been cleaned when I took the photos.

·
MDW Guns
3,745 Posts
It seems this is not so obvious to you. This comes from the barrel and not through the front sight.
I will prove it to you: Put some oil all around the front sight next time you shoot.
Shoot one round (wear safety glasses) and then look.
Lots of the oil will just fall off by the cycling of the slide, but there will be a fine line still around the sight.
It comes from the front out of the barrel.

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand what you are saying MarcDW, and I agree. I've shot this gun plenty before the new sight install, and never noticed that much blue gas burn on the slide area, all the way back past the sight.

I will try your oil test, if you will look at the photo's one more time. I marked the spots with orange arrows to show the tiny open space under the sight. The new sight blade is obviously narrower than the factory one, which leaves that tenon hole exposed.

The space under the sight is there, maybe it's not the issue, maybe it means nothing at all. I just never noticed that much gas burn, until now.

Man, I appreciate your input, I really do. I will do the oil test this Friday, and let you know the results.

Thanks...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Never noticed any gas burns on the front of my G30 but there is a lot of soot after good range session. Wipes right off. Since the end of the barrel protrudes through the end of the slide and the slide retracts back away from the end of the barrel, it cannot be gas burn. Maybe some oil or cleaning solution residue turned color due to heat. The slide gets mighty hot in that area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is something else to think about, the screw that hold the front sight in place covers the hole. If it doesn't, then its not tight and the sight probably not secured.
Plus, if there were hot gases swirling around inside the slide, then the old style glock front sight that just fit in with the small dowel would be blown out every time the pistol was shot. If you pistol truly has hot gases escaping from around the front sight, it is not the sights fault. You need to cease shooting it and send it back to Glock for repairs.

·
Adirondacker with a Glock
2,830 Posts
It's not a ported barrel, is it?

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, you guys are like a fountain of information, and I am grateful for all the responses. Several of you brought up very good points, that may very well explain what happened. But the fact remains that the tenon hole is still exposed, from the top of the slide, under the sight.

DocWills...No, I do not have a cut barrel.

Rangerwt...The screw that holds the sight in place does cover the hole, and fits tightly and flush inside the slide.

Scrappy...Good point, but again, the screw fits perfectly. Love your avatar.

ADK 40GLKr...No, the barrel is not ported.

Scott30...You probably hit the nail on the head. I really think it's a combination of soot and cleaning solvent that caused such a blue looking burn on the slide. I did clean the gun after installing the sights, it needed it. And it was pretty oily. That's the only logical explanation I can actually swallow. We all know that gases do not travel back into the slide under recoil.

Even though the fact remains that the hole under the front sight is ever so slightly visible, that retaining screw inside the slide is tight and flush, and covers the hole from the inside completely.

Besides all of that, the gun shoots like a dream and is dead nut accurate. The front sight is still tight and has not moved any.

Maybe I jumped the gun with this one huh? But hey, I really do appreciate every one of you guys, and respect all of your opinions.

I think I will just keep sending rounds thru it, and be happy. If anything changes, I will let you all know.

You guys are the best.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Do you have the same space visible on the other side? Was the front sight loose before you tightened the screw? If it was loose before tightening down, I would put some loctite around it..then loctite the screw on.

As stated above its not gas coming through the hole. It's probably residual alcohol (did you use alcohol to degrease for installation?) that heated up combined with what's coming out the front of your barrel.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Ok, so the hole is covered with the screw so then nothing is coming up and out of your tiny holes.
The only thing you can do is get different sights so its covered!

·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you have the same space visible on the other side? Was the front sight loose before you tightened the screw? If it was loose before tightening down, I would put some loctite around it..then loctite the screw on.

As stated above its not gas coming through the hole. It's probably residual alcohol (did you use alcohol to degrease for installation?) that heated up combined with what's coming out the front of your barrel.
Yes, the space is identical on both sides of the sight. No the front was not loose before tightening. It fit nice and firmly into the hole. And yes, I used loctite on the screw. I did not loctite the bottom of the sight to the slide, only the screw, and it is still tight.

Yes, I did use alcohol to degrease the tenon hole before installation. Never thought about the alcohol causing the blue soot look around the sight after firing, but that does make sense. Makes very good sense matter of fact.

Thanks for taking your time to respond to my silly delima.

·
Observer
1,923 Posts
Width of the front sign corresponds to the opening of the rear sight from the set, I cannot find the numbers for this particular sight, IMHO you are having something in the numbers between .125" and .90, that's why you are probably shooting it better and thinner front sight will fit the way you are describing it.
There is no way gases will escape trough this "hole" simply because gases have no business to be there and even if they get there from the chamber site they don't have enough pressure to blow around the head of the screw.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the same Aro-Tek night sights on my G19 and G26. Yes, there is a barely perceptible gap on each side of the front sight.
Perhaps the blue dust is from the threadlocker used during installation. If you used Loctite Blue 242, did you let it cure the full 24 hours before shooting it? It might be all cured the next time you shoot.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.