Has anyone ever dealt with FEMA???

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by CarbineKid, Mar 30, 2010.

1. CarbineKid

CarbineKid

Last night was a disaster...or to be more accurate, a federal disaster. My finished basement is flooded and the water just keeps on coming in. Sump pumps are sold out everywhere...I've given up trying to bail out the basement. Anyhow FEMA declared my area a federal disaster site. I have insurance and I believe it will be covered....but if not I think I have to go through FEMA. Has anyone ever dealt with them...if so please share your experiences along with any tips, tricks or rants
    Thanks

2. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Do you have flood insurance? Normal homeowners policy might cover some of this if you have a sewer backup rider. Not sure of the circumstances you have. There is nothing wrong with starting the paperwork with FEMA. They will let you know if you are covered with them. I am on call to go to RI or Long Island for flood with NFIP program. Good luck with your damages, take lots of photos before you throw anything out. Be careful of working around electrical in the water.

3. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

hey, if they let you post from Gitmo, please PLEASE give us the details regarding the FEMA death camps.

I'd talk to my insurance agent they might have a disaster coordinator that could help. Also, FEMA publishes a 'post-disaster' guide for home owners that's worth checking out:
    http://www.fema.gov/assistance/process/guide.shtm
    and their number is #800-621-FEMA

The guide covers the disaster assistance process, eligibility, eligible losses, insurance, case review and other topics that could be helpful for you in this case.

best of luck,

4. CarbineKid

CarbineKid

Thanks. My policy has a water back up provision. My sump pump burnt out/couldn't keep up with the amount of water. So according to my agent I'm covered. I'm waiting on the adjuster....I hope hes honest and doesn't try to screw me over.

5. MstrPara

MstrPara Go Loud.....

Best of luck to you......and sorry to hear about your situation.

I had my basement flood several years back, but fortunately my renter's ins policy covered all my losses.......stupid LL (who neglected to inform me of multiple flooding in the past) had to suck down damages to the property.

6. themiller

themiller

sorry to hear. No advice on FEMA. However - having had something similar happen - invest in a second sump pump (set a bit higher in the hole + with a higher flow rating) + auto tended battery backup system. Two pumps > one.

7. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

It won't hurt to start paperwork with them, like someone else said. On St. Croix after Hurricane Hugo they were a huge help. My brother and I stayed on my mother's property after the storm to start rebuilding and guard what was left. They delivered food and the ubiquitous blue tarps and coodinated loans and outright grants to help people start rebuilding. We were basically alright since we had an apartment on the property still livable even though the main house was basically destroyed and access to food through a wholesaler we knew. He put armed guards around the his warehouse and let customers in by invitation only. Even though it's a huge federal bureaucracy the individual people we dealt with were great.

8. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

ATL Peach Girl has. Her place in ATL flooded not all that long ago. From what I can gather, FEMA was pretty responsive.

9. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Let us know how comfortable are those body bags.

10. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Follow FEMA's paperwork regs to the letter.
    :supergrin:

11. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I'm very surprised that your homeowners policy covers rising water. This is the first time I've heard of this -- EVER.

Someone has to say it: Interesting to see people jump so quickly to government assistance.

12. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

Got hit by Ike in 09/08, a nine foot storm surge wiped out our house. Fortunately, we had flood insurance and the total loss was covered to the policy limits.....My fault for not setting the limits higher, but at least we were covered.

FEMA came out, did their assessment, and a few weeks later I got a notice I was eligible for a SBA disaster loan. Didn't need it, didn't apply for it, and we sold the remains of the property last May after paying off the mortgage and buying a house 275 miles away from the hurricane zone.

FEMA will most likely not provide you assistance, excluding the SBA loan application, if your insurance will or should cover your loss.

Good luck with your recovery.

13. CarbineKid

CarbineKid

My policy covers water back up, not seepage. So since my pump failed I'm covered. The pumps failing is what saved me, as long as the adjuster sees it that way. As far as going to the government goes, I've paid taxes all my life, and I never received or asked for a think from the goverment. I'm young enough to know I will never get a dime from social security, and I pay aa hell of alot of taxes for that.... so yeah Its about time I get SOMETHING for all the taxes I pay.

14. CarbineKid

CarbineKid

I'm still waiting on the insurance adjuster...what happens if the insurance turns me down...will FEMA help...besides giving me a loan application?

15. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I'll be interested if I can get mold clean-up paid by either my flood ins. or FEMA after these storms. We got some water in the basement and it created/exacerbated the "damp basement" mold problem. (Hard to tell which is really old and which is new now.)

If not, that'll be a couple-thousand at least to get it cleaned and mold-resistant materials put in.

16. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

If the water strictly came thru your sump pit, you should have coverage under your homeowners policy. If ground water came in from outside the dwelling then it would be denied by homeowners, but covered by flood insurance (NFIP). There is one Glock Talker, probably 2, heading to RI for flood work.

Flood insurance will only pay for what is physically touched by water, they don't cover mold.

****As always, these are generalization, all policies are different. Not to be taken as legal advice. Etc. etc. *******

17. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

Maybe, if you can get a rejection letter from your insurer, and depending on your income level. Make too much by their guidelines, they'll give you a SBA loan application. If you fall below their guideline level, you "may" qualify for a grant, but it'll take a while for all the paperwork processing. You may have to pay out of pocket initially for some repairs to make the house livable.

If you get the SBA loan application, complete it, and, if you're not approved for the loan, FEMA will usually provide you a grant to take care of your necessary repairs.

Again, good luck. I fought the insurance company for about three months before they settled the flood claim. Just accepted a settlement offer on the wind claim two weeks ago, had to file suit to get them to pay what they should have paid 1 1/2 years ago......:steamed:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  18. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

We dealt with FEMA when Ike destryoed a large swath of Houston we happened to live in the middle of.

While we didn't end up needing their assistance we worked with them from day one until the insurance adjuster gave us the green light for our repairs and some other expenses.

They were probably the most empathetic, responsive and meticulous government agency it has ever been my pleasure to deal with.

As I've always said, I don't go looking for a way to get a handout from the government but, if fate puts me in a situation that is covered by my tax dollars, I'm happy to reap some of the rewards from my years of payments.

It's one thing to say we (the general we) don't want entitlement programs and I, for one, would be happy to se the vast majority of them end.

Until that day I will use the services I pay for when the need arises.

19. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

yep....Southern Gal is correct.

This past Sept. I had 3 feet of water in my house when Georgia got over 20 inches of rain in 2 days time. The creek came in my house.....and many others. I lost pretty much my entire lower floor.

I went to the FEMA.gov website, got a case # and then the agent came to my place, measured and saw the damage, by the time she came my lower floor was gutted, but the evidence was there that a flood had happened. She was in my house on a Sunday afternoon with her wireless laptop, punching in all kinds of things, and I had several thousand dollars deposited in my bank acct. the next night (Monday night). FEMA really came thru for flood victims in my city......

I have several pics of the mishap. I am nearly rebuilt and keeping all my receipts for work done and supplies bought (you have to for three years in case FEMA wants to see them).

get ahold of FEMA by calling them, they will tell you what to do and will send an agent over. You don't need to have flood insurnace to be covered, in fact their help is for people who get flooded who don't have flood insurance and are not on a flood plain. I wasn't considered on a flood plain, and I am still not on a flood plain......seriously. it was considered a 500 year flood or perhaps a 1,000 year flood.

Now before someone jumps on me about "taking from the Gov't"......and I asked BEFORE I bought my house about flood insurance and was told "you don't live in a flood plain, so no, you don't need to have it and it is harder to get if you don't live in a flood plain" so I never got it. I suspect most of you do NOT carry a flood policy on your homes either. ---- But I do now!!!!!! :supergrin:

I asked about this assistance when I met with the FEMA folks and was told "do NOT feel guilty for this, this is WHY FEMA is here....to help people who don't live in a flood plain and get flooded"........what happened in my little town was unexpected, and extraordinary. It was in fact unreal, and I still shake my head wondering if it really did happen to me.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  20. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Carbine........I was OK'ed and approved for an SBA loan over the FEMA money I got......I got X amount of dollars from FEMA, and it is required you also apply for an SBA loan in case you need money over what FEMA gave you. I was approved for 2.75% on that, but I never took the loan. It is still sitting on the shelf in case I need to use it, I say the word and they deposit what I need to borrow.

The only time FEMA gives you money is if you are living in the damaged property and it is your primary residence, which it sounds like you are doing. If you are a landlord and the property is rental in nature then you are required to take an SBA loan, and I was told that landlords are considered "business people" and their SBA loan is loaned at 4 percent, not 2.75% like a private individual. I had to show FEMA my loan papers, my homeowners insurance papers and some utility bills showing my address and name showing I lived here full time and was not renting the property out.

Edited to add: PawDog is right.......I also had to show my income too. They base what you get as a grant on what you make as well. It is all a huge equation.

if you need any other info answered, get ahold of me in PM.........

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010