Has anyone competed in the Olympics? How about a National competition?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

What sport? Time/results?

2. rohanreginald

rohanreginald Novice

I have a cousin who swam for Canada in the Olympics. I have family members that played professional baseball and professional hockey. My brother has two state championships for ice hockey. I wasn't that lucky. Yes luck does have impact.

I always wanted to know what it took to race the luge or the sled in the Olympics. I hear those positions are simply bought.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I competed in sectionals in the 400m hurdles :)

4. Detectorist

Detectorist

Times? One of my all time fav athletes is Edwin Moses.

5. PBCounty

PBCounty

The girl in the pic to your left was a wrestler on a national level. She was in the running for Olympics but there was no team from the U.S. at the time or some BS like that. I myself compete on an immediately local level only (not wrestling).

6. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

About 59 seconds :)
    A fast guy in my county, on a different team, was around 57. Never could catch him.

Obviously I never went very far, but it was nice to win a lot of track meets. I took first place in about half the meets. Most of them against 1 or 2 teams at a time. Our team won the county championship and was undefeated, so it was nice to contribute to that.

But once you hit sectionals going against runners from several counties, I might as well be standing still. That's a good life lesson. There is always someone better than you. Very few people who can say there is nobody better than them at some event.

What does it mean? What is the point of competition if you can't win? I can tell you that I'd give a lot to be able to run 59 seconds flat again, no matter the hurdles. So I guess I've learned you do it because you can! And I no longer can :)

This thread motivates me to get back to losing weight, staying on my diet, jogging each morning, and getting ready for the next 5k. My time in that will be terrible, but it will be better than if I didn't do it!

7. Filhar

Filhar

My son just became 2nd person in Wisconsin authorized to train Olympic Archery Instructors. I'll be going to Competitions in our area. Looking forward to it.

8. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Not me! I played HS sports and was maxed out...

Years ago I worked for a company - using main frame computers. One of our operators came from Puerto Rico or Cuba or some island nation was a (silver) medalist in boxing. I don't remember the weight class - or even his name. I didn't deal with him much and it was a long time ago..

Nice guy, smalish, didn't look tough, unassuming, always a smile. A real sleeper...

I looked at medalists for 1972, 1980, and 1984, and 1988 but didn't recognize any names...

As I posted on another thread (this guy killed his wife), I worked with a 1st alternate Olympic steeple chaser.

9. HarlDane

HarlDane

Nope, but my swim coach had an Olympic Gold Medal from the '68 games and my wife's uncle competed in the '64 games in volleyball.

10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Wow! Did you get to see that medal?

11. HarlDane

HarlDane

Yeah, he would bring it out during his speech before big meets.

And now that I thought about it, it was the Rome games in '60 not the '68 games.