close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Has anybody tried a Gerber Hinderer knife?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by cuervo, Sep 28, 2006.

1. cuervo

cuervo

2. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

I was just looking at getting one of those. Thanks for the link to thefirestore, I was looking at a site called knifeworks and they had the same price as knifecenter. Knifeworks has a better selection of Benchmade knives though, thefirestore doesn't have the one I want. I emailed knifeworks about discounts for group buys, if they do it I'll see if I can put one together for my department. But I haven't gotten a reply yet.

3. Glock-A-Roo

Glock-A-Roo

According to this review the Hinderer knife is a winner.

4. cuervo

cuervo

I saw the review at about the same time I had decided to go ahead and try one.

It has arrived. My impressions: Very well made but with a few minor complaints.

On the good side, it is very solid and heavy. The liner lock feels strong and the blade is sharp.

The tool kit is kinda neat, but not really necessary. The one bit it is lacking is the hex bit that is the size used on the knife itself. If you're going to carry it in a pouch, you'll probably want to remove the pocket clip.

The blade's only cutting surface is the serrated portion; the smooth portion in front is squared off and compeletely dull. A partially sharpened surface would have been nice for boxes and things.

The tank wrench opening is open to the blade, so you may bottom out against the blade when using the wrench.

I haven't tried the swing-out cutter, but it seems sharp. It is held in place with ball-bearings and a detent in the arm.

5. Charlie Fox

Charlie Fox

I haven't seen one in person yet but IMHO these kinds of tools are jacks-of-all-trades, masters of none. Get a Leatherman tool, a pair of EMT shears and a decent pocket knife and your set.