Has anybody had a handcuff key just stop working to unlock cuffs?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by KiloBravo, Jun 10, 2020.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I carry two extended cuff keys when working. My primary has always been a Zak Tool key on an enlarged split ring carried on a belt keeper. I keep a standard pen style key with a clip tucked into my uniform shirt in the space between the buttons. I just tried using the one on my keeper to unlock a set of cuffs and it didnt work. It goes into the key hole, but wont turn at all in either direction. It has never failed before. I used my pen key and it worked perfectly.

The trouble key is at least 10 years old and has been used a lot. I dont mind replacing it with a new one, but I was just curious if this has ever happened to anybody here? Does the metal get bent out of spec ever so slightly over time? I dont see any hairline cracks in it anywhere.

2. sas-G19

sas-G19

Yes, happens quite often when used heavily.
    I had to replace my HC key at minimum twice a year.

KiloBravo likes this.

3. KiloBravo

Hmm...that's strange. Okay. Guess I'll just toss it then.

4. collim1

collim1

Yes. Many times.

Sometimes the key gets bent out of shape.

Sometimes it’s the center stud in the keyhole on the handcuffs that gets bent.

Those keys are usually just soft mild steel or iron. They are very easy to bend. Especially if your keys hangs on your belt where you are sitting on it like a lot of guys do.

I have also had more than one key get stuck or break off in the cuffs and the fire department had to cut the cuff off their wrist. Not fun. Especially if the suspect is a ******* about it.

I have had the same key since I went to the academy. Two or three times now it has bent out of shape and I had to tap it with a hammer to true up the flag or reform the center hole to perfectly round.

Always have multiple spare keys on your person. Including one that is not visible and you can reach if you were handcuffed behind your back.

wprebeck and KiloBravo like this.
  5. KiloBravo

That would suck to have to get cuffs cut off. Lol. And I agree with carrying several. And I do in fact have a standard sized key hidden that I could grab if cuffed behind my back. It's funny we all think alike. I teach everybody I train to hide one on their person as well.

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

In the days when we wore uniforms with shiny stuff on them, I always kept a spare on the whistle chain, since I had no use at all for a whistle. Hidden in the back of your trouser belt would be a better plan.

KiloBravo and seanmac45 like this.
  7. blueiron

blueiron

Decades ago, they seemed to last much longer. Now that everything is made in China and the keys are made out of sintered metal, I've have them wear and one actually chipped off while in use.

The old Safariland key made out of stainless steel was the strongest key I ever used. I wish they still sold it.

sixgun2 and KiloBravo like this.
  8. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

It's not unusual at all. My rear keepers contained two hidden cuff keys covered with velcro.

Onion Field syndrome prevented.

KiloBravo and knoxvegasdaddy like this.
  9. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

It happened to me once. I had to cut the headboard in half to extricate the wife!

Joking

10. knoxvegasdaddy

knoxvegasdaddy UBER VOL !!!

First, hey KB, nice to hear from you, hope you and yours are well!

Second, keys are precision machined devices. You should expect that a precision key with much wear WILL eventually crap out.

ZERO experience with HC keys, but much experience with house and car keys that just won’t function the device they used to function. Entropy is a devil!

KiloBravo likes this.
  11. knoxvegasdaddy

Being able to escape your own trap is wise advice and good training.

KiloBravo likes this.
  12. knoxvegasdaddy

The Onion Field is old school! I haven’t seen the movie in 30 years, and I’m 50.

KiloBravo likes this.
  13. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    I had to have a pair of cuffs cut off me once. Nothing would open then except a saw.

KiloBravo likes this.
  14. billorights

billorights

Yeah, extra keys are a good idea. I kept one on my whistle chain too when in uniform. I practiced a lot opening cuffs with a paper clip too. Very easy to do if not double locked. Anybody else do that?

KiloBravo likes this.
  15. KiloBravo

Thanks. All is well. Good to hear from some old friends here. I took a long break but have started creeping in the reloading section again lately. I just tossed the problematic key. No longer a concern. Still have my other pen key and a spare one like it in my patrol bag.

16. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Yep. Easy to do.

17. Ftttu

Ftttu

I’ve never had a key fail, and I don’t think I’ve ever had a set of my cuffs fail. The closest I have been to that was transporting another officer’s prisoner and their cuffs had to be cut off at the jail since they wouldn’t unlock.

In uniform, I carried a key on my whistle chain, a key on my unit key ring which I kept on my right front belt keeper and one on my personal key ring. In plain clothes duty, I carried one in my wallet. I still have a key on my key ring after almost 5 years being retired.

18. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Really? Were they double locked? If not double locked even if key areas damaged a thin piece of metal should slip it.
    I may have used a hammer, anvil, punch to drive out rivet. .. It took 5 hits. If allowed to hit with angle grinder first I bet 3 would do it. Plastic stuck inside, dribble water, short cuts to prevent heat buildup...

19. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    No, they weren't double locked. Just a cheap pair of peerless cuffs. I was a MP at the time. We were doing self defense/handcuffing techniques. We tried several things only for them to get tighter when we tried to put a shim in. Finally went down to engineer unit the cut them off with a grinder.

20. Ftttu

Ftttu

Our county jail uses a large bolt cutter. Takes just a second.