Has anybody finished a Rosetta Stone Language?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by thatoneguy92088, Oct 17, 2010.

1. thatoneguy92088

thatoneguy92088

I'm a 22 y/o engineering student and I've be trying to learn german for a little over a month now. I took spanish in school up until high school, but never really liked it and didn't really have the drive to learn it so i decided to switch to german. I decided to go with rosetta stone as it seems to be the easiest and I heard it works well. I'm about halfway through level 2 and I'm liking it so far, but has anyone successfully learned a language this way? Did you feel fluent after you were done with all the levels, or could you just follow the jist of what people were saying? How long should I be using rosetta stone per day? an hour or more? What else is good to supplement rosetta stone?

2. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

I'm waiting until I master English.

3. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

i got the ebonics one , but after a month my family could not understand a word i said and left me . :crying:

i then sold the set at local gun show for some beef jerky and a southern rebel flag and lead fishing weights .

4. thatoneguy92088

thatoneguy92088

Thanks for the advice guys.

5. metrogruntual

metrogruntual o__O

your only hope = long haired dictionary

6. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Rosetta stone isn't bad practice for some things, but I found the Pimsleur courses to take me much farther in terms of the "road to fluency". germanpod101.com is the German version of a program I found to be just as helpful for my own learning in Japanese.

Just keep in mind that the "road to fluency" is an ongoing path, and that no one course or learning method will get you there. Immersing yourself in the language and the culture that comes with it is the key--and with the internet, that's easier than ever for a person learning at home.

7. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

I have the Rosetta Stone Italian. Went through a few levels, came to Italy, found out that a lot of what I was taught isn't the way people speak over here.

It still got me far enough ahead that I can communicate a bit, but I'm certainly not fluent. Perhaps if I'd completed the entire course I'd be able to speak well.

I got lazy with the course, and it became easier to learn from just spending time here.

8. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

Yep. The only way to truly learn a language is to live in the area for a while...but I'm sure RS will give a good start...

9. FTSolutions

FTSolutions

I've used Rosetta Stone for approximately two years now while studying arabic. I would not describe it quite as highly as the commercials do but I would say it should complement any language learning process.

As somewhat stated above Pimsleur is quite effective also. I have found that a combination of different sources: software, formal classes, audio programs and native speakers combine to give you a satisfactory learning experience.

Good luck with your language learning. Auf-Wiedersehen