Glock Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
woo woo
31,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before football, I ran by the pistol range today.

I brought a few 9mm's and my .22 revolver.

H&R 999, S&W 3913 and Star BM

Ammo was Wallyworld Federal 9x19mm 115 ball and CCI Minimag 36gr HP's.

All the shooting was done offhand, indoor range from 21ft to 60ft.

At 21ft, I shoot the revolver DA, about 1/sec, a little faster with the nines, DA first shot on the 3913.

The first was the H&R, a top break 9 shot DA revolver. Too bad they don't still make guns like this.

THe gun isn't especially great as a DA because the trigger is long and heavy-ish, with lots of hitch and a long trigger reach. In single action, the trigger is pretty light and crisp....no complaints.

At 60 ft I strung things up and down a bit, can't blame the gun here, did the same thing last time out with my MKII...and I KNOW it's not the gun.
I did have a couple flyers on No 6, oblong holes told me the bullets were yawing a bit.

This gun is always a fun shooter; plenty accurate, good SA trigger.

Also, the cylinder pops off easy for cleaning under the topstrap and around the forcing cone...not usually easy with hand ejectors.

·
woo woo
31,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next gun was the Star BM, still a work in progress.

THis gun started out a basket case, bluing worn off, cracked plastic grips, corroded barrel and broken firing pin.
I have replaced the barrel and firing pin with new ones, installed custom grips and refinished the gun matte black....so it LOOKS pretty good.

The bummer is, it still struggles to get through a mag without FTE, FTF and general nonsensicality. It needs an extractor, I think.

Aside from not functioning, it's great!
When it shoots, the boolits go where I line up the sights most of the time.

I had a few 124gr Win PDX +P left over, ran those in No 3. About three jams per 7 shots (magful), each mandating I strip the magazine, clear brass from chamber and correct double feed (top round in mag). So no real rapid fire with this one.:supergrin:

A couple 3-something inch groups at fifty feet.

So, the BM still needs work. I have tried several types of ammo, it just isn't getting good extraction. Feeding is iffy with longish jhp's like the PDX/SXT, but good with Sierras and Gold Dots (115gr).

I'll probably pull the extractor and fiddle with it first, see how the spring looks and check the claw....wish me luck.

·
woo woo
31,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THe 3913 still shines, never an issue in this gun.

I've become decently proficient with the trigger/hammer decock system, it works very good for me.

Shooting quickly at 21ft, a little faster than 1/sec. The Novak style sights help, offering lots of light, and the gun doesn't move around much under recoil. Each dot is a mag full, 8 rounds.

At 30ft, still shooting a brisk pace. Pooched one a little high on No 3.

At 60ft, strung it a bit side to side on number five (dammit). I used the last few odd rounds I had on dot six, 3 PDX +P's a PMC 115gr ball and a Fed 115gr ball.

The icons on the corners, I drilled from 21ft.

Among the very best of S&W autos, right here.

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a 3914, love the feel of it, but it's always shot a little low for me, even at 7 yards. Same Novaks on it. Anyone have an idea why (besides that I'm an idiot :whistling:

·
woo woo
31,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've always wanted one of these, and for a long time I actively looked for one in decent shape. I finally gave up, but after seeing this, I may start the search again. Thanks for the report.
Not 100% sure, but DJ's in Bothell has an H&R top break .22 like that.....not sure if it's the Sportsman model or not, could be an older generation....but you might look them up. About $200 IIRC.

·
woo woo
31,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 3914, love the feel of it, but it's always shot a little low for me, even at 7 yards. Same Novaks on it. Anyone have an idea why (besides that I'm an idiot :whistling:
It's not unusual to pull the first heavy DA shot low with guns like these if you're not really practiced at double action triggers. You basically dip the muzzle when you get through the heavy pull and the trigger breaks.
If you're doing it every shot, just make sure your grip is good and you're not letting the trigger stroke affect it ( many/most shooters tend to have sympathetic tightening of hand muscles when one finger is working).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.