Harley - Davidson to go after "E" Bike Market

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock-O-Rican, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

Obviously you did not ride the Buell 1125R or CR. When Buell went away from the stupid, insipid potato-potato engine, it ran great. Plus a superior chassis design.

that was what happened when the Motor Company didn’t throw its support behind the race team. Racing costs money. You can have the best riders but not having a developed bike and that was that.

how did Ducati do with Stoner, Rossi and Lorenzo and their crappy carbon fiber frame race bikes? The three most talented racers in the world couldn’t do squat with it.

Awesome Italian stallions ain’t cheap.

norton likes this.
  2. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

No bike sounds as good as desmo-Quattro...

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

They still run a dry clutch? HH

4. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Desmo-Quattro did.

5. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

I was cruising alongside one of the HD Nightrain models once.

A beautiful bike, black out, 18ct gold trim, bikini canyon racer's nacelle, black oxide pipes all tucked up high and clean, etc.

I was pushing a full-on Vetters against his bikini though. It wasn't totally fair since he could lie down out of the wind and all I could do was put my feet on the rear pegs --- big deal!

We both nodded and turned it on. We ran full throttle out the Artesia Freeway, now called the 91, all the way to Corona. We ran 160 MPH + and I couldn't really pass him, he couldn't really pass me. We yo-yo'd for miles that way.

Pulled over for coffee at a 24 hour Alpha Beta- it was 5AM and I had just gotten off work at a hospital in Hawthorne.
    We talked bikes, gasoline, tires, coffee and road racing the Ortega from Capistrano to The Candy Store above Lake Elsinore.

Well... coffee gone, all talked out ... I said I had to get home to my wife in Costa Mesa and he said: "I need to call a flatbed tow truck".

I wondered why .... until he showed my by pushing his kickstarter by hand.
    Whoosh, whoosh and whoosh.
    No compression. ​

He had destroyed his engine running so hard that he didn't get a chance to burp the baby (engine) and get the oil back into the crankcase.

I pushed my starter button ... whirr, whirr, vroom! I drove away to home.

It was a pretty HD though.

6. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Sometimes.

LinuxLover likes this.
  7. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

8. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Because it's all about speed, right? I have fast bikes and I have slow bikes, my Harley isn't at the bottom of the list.

9. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Seriously ... there is 1) speed, 2) durability, 3) comfort, 4) confidence and 5) reliability that are all factors. There are more factors but this small list is sufficient for my stand here.

HD misses out on #s 4 & 5 and prolly 1 & 2 too.

Although ..... 140+ behind a Vetters is really kewl!

Do that from Yuma to Los Angeles on a June day, and let's see which bike makes the run without riding in the back of a chase-truck.

10. norton

norton

I always thought Eric Buell's original design was a good chassis in search of a decent engine. Too little, too late.

I think HD saw the handwriting on the wall and realized they could not spend enough money to make the VR competitive. So they abandoned the project. I was rooting for them. Saw the bike at Mid Ohio. I love underdogs.

Boutique bikes like the MV are never going to sell in volume. Don't know why Harley decided to go that route.

11. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Funny even if not true.

I mean how hard is it to make it 25 miles (typical Pirate road trip).

12. PBCounty

PBCounty

I keep hearing on Glocktalk about how Harleys are for men in their 60's. Is that the experience outside of South Florida? Here, they are popular with all ages. I am one of the few males in my social group (20's - 40's) who doesn't own a Harley, and I see all ages on the road every day.

13. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

Well for years there have been articles about how Harley - Davidson has work hard to capture the Millinel Market, old Harley - Davidson riders are getting up in years, and the Mellinal are not into the H-D Brand.

Many years ago I went to Arizona Bike Week, got to Demo Ride a Buell, it was a great bike to ride, but because of joint problems, I found it very uncomfortable for me.

I decided to not ride motorcycles no more after my last experence going down, nice lady turn left in informant of me. I did everything ride to avoid the crash, until I hit some loose gravel, and down I went. It was a H-D that I wound up under when the dust spelled.

Now I ride a bicycle three days a week, it's safer IMHO. Just got a 500 LIMEM FLASHING LIGHT so folks can see me better. Seems to help, sort of.

cruz lee likes this.
  14. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Kickstarter?
    ...oil back in the crankcase?
    HH

15. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow Custom Title Goes Here

160MPH? On a Harley? I cry foul on that.

16. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

Well I Search E-Bike Chopper, Harley Davidson missed the boat again, this is cool.

image.jpeg

cruz lee likes this.
  17. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

Motorcycle speedos are generally optimistic.

But 160mph with a full vetter fairing would require probably around a 130-140rwhp. Maybe more.

Keep in mind these were just over 160mph motorcycles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_Tomcat_ZX-10

https://ridermagazine.com/2006/04/20/honda-cbr1000f-hurricane-1987-1988/

And small frontal area and low drag are required to go fast. Unless you just start piling on HP. But adding HP to faster is diminishing returns..

18. QuietAnarchist

QuietAnarchist

HD is in a tough spot. When they have tried to diversify their market offerings, they have failed. A lot of bad and ill-timed decisions for sure. I don’t think they will completely disappear, but neither do I think they will dominate the way they did in the market. They are still the benchmark when it comes to classic cruiser design. They still have over 100 years of pure Americana nestalgia for marketing purposes. Who knows? Maybe that will be cool again someday. They are still very easy to customize from the factory and the aftermarket support is substantial. I’m a sport bike guy. I have never owned a Harley. I own a modern Ducati and BMW. I’m rooting for them. I hope they remain a force in motorcycling for years to come, electric or otherwise.

19. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow Custom Title Goes Here

I was gonna say, bring back the old 883 Sportster and then the 1200cc version of it, but it looks like that is what H-D now calls their "Iron" 883 and 1200.

Yeah, if they can't sell motorcycles anymore, they need to change with the times or get out of the way.

(Sorry, any H-D fans, just being real.)

20. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

If Harley-Davidson were to bring this beauty back, I’d buy three!!!

66B29B20-6FEE-4FB3-9B99-0527E2FCEDED.jpeg