Harley-Davidson Halts Electric Motorcycle Production

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nemesis., Oct 14, 2019.

1. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

I thought they ran out of playing cards to stick in the spokes?

Camdenbullit52, R*E, FullClip and 3 others like this.

2. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

Harley sold out and jumped the shark. I see them dying off as quickly as their customer base is.

3. oldmick

oldmick

Interesting to see the world change. I remember when Kodachrome ruled the image world. And teletypes were the go-to equipment for hard copy communication, particularly between the U.S and Europe. American cars set the standard for private transportation.

Don’t get me wrong. I had my last HD for 19 years, but the company seems to be following the path of other, once giant leaders in their market.

Time marches on...

4. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

All they need is another government bail-out. But we don't do that anymore.

railfancwb likes this.
  5. berto62

berto62

They are on track to sell 200,000 + motorcycles this year. They probably have a few more years left

Slackinoff, CAcop, oldmick and 5 others like this.
  6. Rotn1

Rotn1

I don’t get it.

“Bikes” are inherently fuel efficient compared to cars......... but that isn’t good enough.
    Also “bikes” are already virtually invisible to auto drivers now..... and you take the sound away?

An electric Motorcycle..... what a dumb idea.

Tell me did the VRod sell well? And that was a beauty.
    Electric bike = Wrong product to the wrong customer base

Intolerant, nrajeff, Ofc.JL and 10 others like this.
  7. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

An electric bike should be able to play a recording of a real Harley. Just find a way to charge them....................

R*E and railfancwb like this.
  8. indie_rocker

indie_rocker

CAcop, HollowHead and railfancwb like this.
  9. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

With all the people crashing the Tesla's because of the almost instant acceleration how many people that can't ride will they be scraping up ?

Intolerant, nrajeff and railfancwb like this.
  10. Cooter!!

Cooter!! Permanent Noob

1) they do actually make a specific HD 'engineered' noise as well as vibrate for you (yes, really) :freak:
    2) No, and that should have been one of many, many, lessons for them. Their customers don't want "better". Never have.
    3) and that is the sound of the nail being hit on right on the head... In their coffin:harley::notlistening:

The Company should stick to what they do. HEY-look-at-me!-chrome-sound-paint-cost bragging, then die off quietly. Just like their customer base. Adapt or die? Their own customer will NOT let them adapt... so...

$35/share (HOG) and a 'neutral' rating? Ugh.

Don't plug your ears and think I'm a Harley hater, I've had my share of them and frankly enjoyed the experience. For what they are, they do it very well. The Livewire is just a comically sad idea for HD.

11. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Fashion is never timeless, no matter how attractive the notion.

Rotn1, oldmick and railfancwb like this.
  12. railfancwb

railfancwb

I have read that an electric motorcycle is among the fastest on the quarter mile drag strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotn1 and WeeWilly like this.
  13. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

Not sure about now, but my car gets nearly the same mileage as my motorcycles used to back in the early 2000s, and they were smaller motorcycles. My 250 got about 55-60 (and for a little while 75 when it was way out of tune due to uncompleted upgrades) and my 600 got 45-50. My current car gets 42-45, my previous car got 45-50mpg.

Harley spent a very long time with no new technology, then finally got off their butts and started making some new stuff. They lost a lot of market share when they were overpriced and outdated tech when imports like Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki (my favorite) were all advancing steadily and adapting to changes in the markets.
    I do agree, the iconic Harley Davidson name doesn't lend itself well to electric motorcycles, no matter how well you dress them up.

Intolerant, nrajeff and Rotn1 like this.
  14. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

I don't doubt it. Electric motors make the most torque at stall (no spin) where most motorcycles don't start their power until you're up in RPMs quite a bit.

I remember one time doing a short street race my Ninja 250 vs some ricer car. In first gear we were about even, probably even close to RPMs, because he had to shift about the same time as I hit the bottom of my power band, which didn't start until about 6k rpms. (redline was 14k, and this was a bike from 2001)

pgg00 and Rotn1 like this.
  15. Rotn1

Rotn1

That would be the single reason to get one for a certain target customer. It will not be the current HD customer and I guess could potentially broaden HD's customer base but I not enough to move the needle.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  16. fxstchewy

fxstchewy

A motorcycle to me is a MOTORcycle, old CBX inline 6 cylinder, 4 cylinder, V Fours and Twins, Triples and singles, electric motor....NO

Intolerant and Bus007 like this.
  17. army_eod

army_eod US Army Retired, EOD, PM, PMP

I said it was a bad strategy. First off; HD can never execute a successful business plan except for selling boutique clothing. That did not work out either. The electric bike was priced at 30K when there is an established electric bike mfg out there selling them for 15K. The management is clearly to blame. Let HD learn the lesson of the free market and file for Chapter 11.

I have owned six Harleys. I got rid of the 2018 because I had three issues within 1500 miles. They lost the bubble. No loss. I have a Honda and a Kawasaki.

18. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

Wow. Well said!

19. screwman

screwman

About 20yrs ago, I was gonna buy one of those leather vests at a Harley shop, you know, the one with the laces on the sides so you can fatten up if you want. 150 bucks. On the label, it said “Harley Davidson, An American Tradition”... made in China. See ya!