close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Harkins Theatres in AZ now posted

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SlammedDime, Aug 19, 2012.

1. SlammedDime

SlammedDime G23 Member

Was surprised this evening on my visit to Harkins with my wife to see a small, almost inconspicuous sign on the entrance doors disallowing firearms on their property. Sucks because this is the reason I've chosen to patronize them instead of AMC over the past 7 years. I guess I'll be finding a new place to see movies in town.

I've left them a nice message on their Facebook page as well expressing my displeasure.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. K00R

K00R

EDIT: (bumped the send button early) I would take my money else as well but, if there isn't any alternative... In some states these signs/policies are not backed by law. In said states the most they can do is ask you to leave... If you refuse then law enforcement is notified. And I say concealed is concealed.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight

Sign?

What sign? I didn't see no stinkin' SIGN.

4. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Signs in AZ do have the force of law: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

5. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Yes, but as in some other states (like Texas) the signage, size, location, wording etc has to be very specific, or is considered invalid under the law.

Furthermore, signs in AZ that carry the weight of the law applies to a very narrow type of businesses.

http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=4/00229.htm

Given that, if one is asked to remove onself from someone else's property, with reason stating you are armed, to refuse to leave would be breaking the law.

6. whoops dude

whoops dude

That sucks but how the law is written in NC, we can't carry into theaters posted or not.

7. southernshooter

southernshooter

If the theater killer had seen the sign, he would have been disappointed. Would have just gone back home to watch tv or read a book instead. That's what the libs would have us believe.

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

He went thru an side door, propped it open and returned to shoot. I doubt that signs were on the side/rear doors.

Signs for criminals are about as effective as order of protections for those intent on bashing in the heads of their partners.

9. Brucev

Brucev

The owner has every right to determine policy for customers who wish to use his property. He is not obligated to seek to pacify the interest of all patrons. It is incumbent upon customers to comply with that policy or take their business elsewhere.

10. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

Our society is based on the "rule of law". Unfortunately, we have in general bought into the false premise that the law will protect us from harm. It doesn't! The laws only protect us from possible acts by law abiding citizens. WE are responsible for our own safety in cases of immediate danger to our selves.

Economic pressure is one way to end gun-free-crime-zones. It can and does work. I present the case of Apple Jam. Apple Jam is the name of a company in and around the Dallas-Fort Worth area of Texas. Apple Jam owns ~6 Applebee's Restaurants. Some years ago they posted all of their restaurants with legal NO GUNS signs. A bunch of us from this group and several other gun-related web sites wrote to the owner of Apple Jam. We educated the gentleman about what it takes to obtain a CCW license, about how law abiding CCWers are, and that we would not patronize his restaurants if he cared so little about our safety.

The owner (sorry, I've forgotten his name) re-considered his decision in light of his new found knowledge, and the threat of lost income, and DE-posted his establishments. He even e-mailed many of us, and welcomed us with arms to his restaurants. I hope his business has grown.

11. ICARRY2

ICARRY2 NRA Life Member

Same here. Thanks for the info. Ill call and let them know signs dont stop criminals or crazy people from killing innocent people, just innocent people from protecting themselves from criminals and crazy people.

12. K00R

K00R

Thanks for the info! While I never claimed to know whether they do have weight of law behind them in AZ.

I've never understood these signs. They're always so small and on one front door that you have to stand their examining the front doors just to spot it. Knowing that a law-abiding citizen will look for them... I guess. While criminals won't care (obviously) so I guess the goal of the sign size is to remove CCW holders business while not advertising with a giant eye sore of a billboard to criminals that none of the employees are allowed to be armed?

13. Z71bill

Z71bill

I just posted this in another thread - this one seems like a better fit.

The theater we normally go to now has the Texas 30.06 sign - which allows a business to ban CC even if you have a CHL.

I noticed the signs on the way out of the theater - after the movie.

I need to check - but IIRC the letters used must be at least 1 inch tall - and the sign must be "conspicuous".

The letters looked a little small - but didn't want to stop and measure them - the sign was posted below waist high - I didn't see it until we left - but they did have a picture of a gun inside a circle with a red line through it - about eye level on the door - that I did see - but they carry no legal weight.

Guess I need to find a new theater - but am guessing most will now have the no gun sign posted - you know - to protect people from gun violence.

14. K00R

K00R

Within the protectionists cult... I'm almost surprised they didn't just Ban the showing of Batman... Cause you know it obviously provoked someone into a murderous rage.

15. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I like our SC sign law:

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.
    (A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.
    (B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:
    (1) clearly visible from outside the building;
    (2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;
    (3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
    (4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;
    (5) a diameter of a circle; and
    (6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door.
    (C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:
    (1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;
    (2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
    (3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;
    (4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;
    (5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.

16. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

First off, 99.9% of all people who want to go see a movie will go despite what stickers are on the door, so it is rare that there will be any "financial repercussions" for the theater or business. It CAN happen, it just usually doesn't. Second, considering the litigious society we live in, coupled with the recent multiple shootings, businesses are at the mercy of their insurance companies. If you insurance company tells you to post these signs, you either find another company or post them.

That said, everyone here is worried about "the weight of the law". What about the "rights of citizens"? Whether the signs have "weight of the law", or are posted in smaller letters than the law requires, why not respect the rights of the owners. If they don't want guns in their business, leave your gun out, or don't go in.

17. Gallium

Gallium CLM

There is a very wordy thread on this in Carry Issues. We don't all worship the same God (if at all), or have the same mores, threats against us, deep pockets, training etc.

In my opinion the 1st bright line is the law. Everything else (again speaking for myself) is conditional and contingent on a whole bunch of metrics.

18. Roger1079

Roger1079

I just love how they think that sign is going to make any difference. I can assure you it would not have stopped that D-bag in Colorado.

I could see it now.

Lunatic buys ticket to see new movie with the intention of shooting a bunch of people.

Lunatic approaches the door and sees the sign barring firearms in the facility.

Lunatic decides to go on a shooting spree in another place because the facility has barred him from bringing his firearms inside.

Is this really the thought process these places use? Actually, come to think of it, it is probably nothing more thna an attempt to avoid liability in a lawsuit if a shooting does occur.

19. RustyShackelford

RustyShackelford > OD Glock 32

I agree. Bringing your arms in, while knowing it is frowned upon by the owners, doesn't do much to help the good fight.

20. Roger1079

Roger1079

Jeez. Talk about specific. I love how if the place doesn't have doors the sign has to be about the size of an average sized child.