Hardworking smart phone?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by eXistenZ, Jan 26, 2010.

1. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

So with all this debate between the Droid and iPhone is the Blackberry line dead or something?

Due to my new job I'll have to get a smart phone (oh yay :upeyes:) so I'm kicking around my options. I don't care about what's "trendy" I care more about functionality. Main requirements are standard work phone needs, scheduling, multiple email sources, web browsing, pretty much everything I would do on a laptop.

I realize this thread is akin to asking "what's the best carry gun?" but some first hand accounts of people using the main smart phones would be appreciated. Thanks! :wavey:

2. pal2511

pal2511

I'd go with bb for business and Droid for dumpster from my Droid

3. CCGLoCKer

CCGLoCKer G31 Owner

Love my BB 8330. On it right now. The small qwerty is a challenge to get use to. But I imagine its that way with any smart phone cosidering their size. If you can go with a carrier that gives a time period to switch phones. I originally got an LG titan, 15 days later traded it for the BB. Couldn't be happier.

4. PDXShooter1981

PDXShooter1981 Computer Geek..

BB is still one of, if not the best, utility business phone. The droid and iPhones are fun toys, I have had the opportunity to use all 3, BB is still the one I carry for work.

5. BobbyT

BobbyT

The Pre's software is the most intuitive of any phone out there. Contact and message handling is seamless--it brings everything from a contact into the same conversation, and handles multiple email accounts and alerts beautifully.

The Droid's hardware kills everything else. If I had my way, I'd put the Pre's software into the Droid.

6. FPS

FPS

IMHO, If you are going to be typing alot of emails back forth to people in real time the BB is tops. It also works great with Outlook, which many companies use.

If web browsing is most important then you may like the iPhone or Android phones better. The BB browsing is good but the screen is small compared to the others.

The iPhone and Android phones have many more Apps to download, but for most busness users this doesn't matter much.

7. jjcool

jjcool

I've been a bb user for a few years and am typing this on my Storm2 now. Its a good mix of a business and consumer device. You can customize almost anything and aren't locked into doing things the way that Apple thinks you should do them. As mentioned before the browser isn't as good, but RIM is in the process of overhauling that now. The Droid isn't ready for primetime IMHO. In the next year or so Android phones will improve and be a real contender. If your company has a BES then the BB is a no brainer. But even if you have to use BIS to get your emails it still works really well. I say go with a BB and you won't be disappointed. There are a few quirks but in the end you'll have a superior smartphone. Also, the battery life is much better on a BB and they're more durable.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  8. Resqu2

Resqu2

Love my BB 8900, great for dealing with e-mails (I'm running 3 accounts) Camera is great the only thing I'm not real happy about is the wed part but just because of the screen size. For business you can't go wrong with a BB

9. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

I defected from a Storm to a Droid. It is a dual purpose work/personal phone. Email is actually better on the Droid. I've used BB for years and years, too.

The droid trumps BB and the bi-phone in every class. Except trendy.

10. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE] NRA Member

I would go with the Droid or Iphone versus the BB, UNLESS your company is running Blackberry Enterprise Server, in which case the BB will do nicely. My main complaint with the BB is that unless you are running BES on the mail server, you cannot sync calendar and contacts items via wireless, you need to plug in and use the BB Desktop Manager.

11. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

I just got tired of hourglassing and memory leaks.

12. crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio 15 or 30?

I've had an iPhone for 2.5 years and honestly don't know how I'd run my business without it now. Highly recommended.

13. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

I just synced my Droid to my Outlook AND Google accounts it also integrated both calenders and it does not freeze up like my BB does ALSO the PDF interface is much nicer with the Eris.

14. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

Droid or BB because they have normal keyboards for me. If I had to type out a long email on the touch screen I'd be there all day. I have a G1 with both touch screen keyboard and a physical and the physical is so much easier to type on.

15. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

Thanks for the opinions!