close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hardware trouble shooting advice.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mfackler, Mar 10, 2006.

1. mfackler

mfackler

I have completed my second self-built computer and am attempting to install FreeBSD 6.0. FreeBSD installed with some difficulty. While attempting to configure networking I discovered my on board LAN was DOA. Disabled that in BIOS and installed a 3Com NIC, worked like a top.

FreeBSD now has major problems building ports. I have been racking my brains out trying to make it work. Last night I did an install on an old P2 I had lying around. It worked just fine. I am now 95% certain I have a hardware issue.

I am very suspicious of the MoBo. It is a MSI K8TM/K8MM MS-6741. It was purchased on e-bay as new in the box. “Only opened for inspection.” Yet it arrived sans manual, disk, cables and back plate. I did flash the BIOS to the latest version.

The socket 745 AMD Sempron 2800+ processor was also purchased from E-Bay, but it arrived and a sealed AMD retail box.

The 512meg memory (256x2) was purchased along with some other misc items from Tiger Direct. I don’t even remember the brand. It was whatever was on sale at the time.

I am about to order a new MoBo but before I do I wanted to check with the fine hardware guys here at GT for any advice. Does that sound reasonable or is there maybe something I could simply turn off in BIOS? Should I be more suspicious of the other components?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

PS: I started out wanting ot learn something about BSD and upgrade my web server. I sure have been learning about BSD. Can’t wait till something goes my way.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mike,

Apparently you haven't seen my postings worning youse guys off using eRape for PC components.

This is the result over half of the time, guy. People offload their trash there.

A decent video card, bought there at a low price, almost always gets the 'Lucky Winning Bidder' a card that was overclocked by its last owner until it would give artifacts and distort the picture when running at anything over stock speeds.

When buying PC parts, always buy new...both for the warranty service and for the knowledge that the seller wasn't lying through his/her teeth.

Better luck next time. Try NewEgg or ZipZoom Fly, and save until you can afford their prices.

There are very few good deals on ebay anymore. It is more like a Barrio Swapmeet most of the time.

Anyhow, see if MSI will give you a replacement board; that sure sounds like the problem to me--but I'd test it with Knoppix or some other LiveCD like PCLinuxOS beforehand.

Could be a kernel issue you can fix by DLing a module or two and recompiling.