close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hardware, software disappeared

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by hogglock, Jan 30, 2006.

1. hogglock

hogglock

I'll try to keep this brief. Basically, I've got this computer screwed up beyond beleif.
    In device manager, no listing for my display
    no listing for my graphics card.

Here's what happened. I decided I wanted to get rid of the xp home that came preloaded on my emachines computer after I had upgraded my monitor, which caused me to have to upgrade my graphics card (to a fx5500, some of you may remember THAT horror). I got that all working well, when I noticed some funny power issues, so I took the guts from the old emachines case and installed them in a new case w/a 500w power supply. All was well for a few days, then I started to get 404 errors in my browser (firefox), often a browser refresh would cure it, then it started taking a windows reboot to fix it, it was getting more and more nuts, so I said the hell with it, and decided to upgrade the os from what emachines put on here to XP pro. (at least I would have a genuine XP install disk, instead of those stupid recover disks).
    I chose the upgrade option, as I was hoping to make things as smooth as possable. WRONG!
    XP pro couldn't find my driver files for my LAN card. Finally got xp to find them ad got that to work. Next xp reported that I had a nonfunctioning LAN (DSL) connection to my isp.
    Called tech support at my ISP, and after firmware updates, and trying everything else, switched the computer to router cord to another port on the router. Worked great. according to isp tech one of the ports on the 4 port router was bad.

So I'm finally on the net, try to install new drivers that will make my monitor work properly, like I did before. Somewhere in this process, I screwed up.

Went to uninstall my graphics card, there was no listing for it in devices, said ok, I'll skip it, myabe xp just didn't detect it, so if xp doesen't think its there, no need to uninstall was my logic.

So next, I go to uninstall programs, uninstall nvidia graphics driver.

download the driver that I know works, as well as driver clean. Run driver clean, try to install new driver, error message says no can do.

I'm starting to loose my mind, so then I go back to uninstall programs, click on nvidia, and without thinking, claick on the button that removes nvidia FROM THE PROGRAM LIST. How the hell do I get THAT back?

So what the hell do I do now? The monitor works, there's obviously a driver in there somewhere, probably a windows driver, so I have some functionality.

I tried using system restore, my only restore points were BEFORE windows found the proper driver for my LAN card, so that isn't gonna work.

Does anybody have any ideas? Right now my plan is to go to radio shack, buy a new lan card, stick it in the box, and do a CLEAN reinstall of windows XP.

But my brain is so twisted at this point I need some help from someone with knowledge and a clear mind.
    I really need some help, I can't afford a whole new machine at thsi point...

2. Toyman

Toyman

Can you be a little more specific on what the error message said? Possibly press CTRL-C at the error message and paste that in a Reply? (If it's a standard message box)

3. hogglock

hogglock

Went to the nvidia website, downloaded their latest driver. Installed it. Now I want to UNinstall it, so I can install the driver I know works with this widescreen monitor. There is no listing for the graphics card or and thus the device driver so I can uninstall in device manager. That is the problem.

4. hogglock

hogglock

Clean install fixed the whole problem. Turned out it was apparently all the propritary software and drivers on the old emachine causing all the problems...Never again will I buy a "premade computer". I always used to build my own, never had one tenth of these problems.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech