close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hardware Questions

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by bigzebra, Mar 30, 2006.

1. bigzebra

bigzebra

Hello all, this is my first time posting in this forum.

I have several questions regarding pots, pans and knives.

I've been dabbling in (better, finer) cooking and have found that I need better knives than the crappy cheap ones I have. I cannot afford to purchase a whole set, so I'd like to start out with one or two good ones. What brands do you prefer? I've been looking at Henkles and Kershaw. Are these good? Also, what models should I be interest in?

Additionally, Caphalon or All-Clad? My wife and I purchased a set of non-stick Caphalon a few years ago with proceeds from our wedding. The set was pretty expensive, but well worth it as we have been VERY pleased with them so far. We also have a large Caphalon frying pan in stainless, which we have also been very pleased with. But, we are in need of some more sauce pans. Has anyone had any problems with All-Clad? They seem high quality, or should we stick with Caphalon? Or are there other brands that we should look at?

Thanks a bunch!!

2. bigzebra

bigzebra

Well duh, I just noticed and read the Sticky on the knives...

3. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

I have had good luck with Emerilware, purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond with discount coupons. I've been told it is made by Allclad. Anyone, I buy the stainless steel non stick sauce pans and am amazed how low I can turn the heat and it still simmers. The glass lids are nice too.

As for knives, it is really a personal choice. My knives are an assortment I have bought (different brands) over the years. My favorites are small knives made by Chicago Cutlery, a large Japanese cleaver (very thin blade) I bought at a restaurant supply house. I bought a cheap Kitchen Aid Santoku (sp?) which is a copy of expensive sushi knives. I like the feel of it so I might upgrade to a higher quality one in the future.

Just check out a quality kitchen supply store and handle a few knives that interest you.......I an a true believer that you get what you pay for in quality knives.

4. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

You kind of need a variety of pans....there's no one size fits all when you're trying to do better. The non sticks are find for some stuff but they dont brown well. Stainless will brown better and give you a nice fonde.

I have one of the Emerilware saute pans and its a great pan particularly for the price. I've got a set of Pampered Chef pans that I'm gradually phaseing out as I buy new pans, but I wont be getting a set....I like picking adn choosing from a variety of manufactureers.

5. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

My favorite knives are Wusthovs, although I own both Wusthovs and Henkels. I like the shape of the Wusthovs better. If you compare the two side by side, the Wusthovs have a little more curve and the Henkels are more straight. The best knife to start with is an 8 inch chef's knife. There is no getting around the fact that you will have to pay 75-85 dollars for it, save you money up and get the best. A good on line source is http://www.pcd.com/. My second favorite knife is a 6 inch utility (sometimes called sandwich knife). I use those two knives about 90% of the time, I seldom use a paring knive. For pans, Allclad is the best. I have had calphalon pans and the anodized aluminum wears off. Again save you money up and get the best. A good online source for Allclad is http://www.cookswares.com/. I would start out with a 10 inch frying pan and go from there. Get the stainless steel model and not the MC2 or LTD.

6. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

Sorry I did'nt read that you needed sauce pans and not fry pans. Again Allclad is the best. The best choice is the 2 quart sauce pan in stainless, followed by the four quart with helper handle. If there is a Williams-Sonoma Market, which is their outlet store, nearby, they sometimes have great buys on Allclad seconds. The seconds usually have a minor scratch which doesn't effect their quality.

7. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

[​IMG]

Me likey!

10inch Damascus!

8. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I own the Metropolitan style Chicago Cutlery set. They were a wedding gift. They have heavy black handles--not the wooden handles. If you're looking for a set and want to get them (Chicago Cutlery) cheap, the cheapest set can be found at most Case Outlets--they have all sizes, all styles and the blocks as well. Personally I liked being able to pick and choose what I wanted.

I also am piecing together a set of Calphalon. I like these, was fond of them when I started buying them piece by piece. I didn't go with a "set" because they didn't have a set with all the different sizes I used most frequently. They also have the glass tops like the AllClad do. Calphalon pieces can usually be gotten on sale at Kohl's.

9. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

I haven't seen glass tops on AllClad. What pieces are you referring to?

10. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Dexter-Russel makes excellent food service-quality knives.
    They're very reasonably priced...around $22-25. Grips are available in a variety of colors: black, white, brown, green, red, yellow.

I have a 10" chef's knife with a polymer/rubber grip and have used this knife for well over a decade. Although you're not supposed to wash knives in the dishwasher I have done so on numerous occasions and it re-sharpens readily.

11. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

Str8shooter said his tops were made of glass. I don't own AllClad, I own Calphalon.

12. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

I recently inherited two Le Cruset roasting pots that I have started using. Once you get used to them, the quality really shows through when roasting on the stove or in the oven.

EXTREMELY HEAVY though, not recommended for the elderly.

13. tavo

tavo

14. groundhawg

groundhawg

cooks illustrated mag/book highly recommends forschner [victorinox] fibrox knives. http://www.cutleryandmore.com/prodlist.asp?BrandID=6&LineID=18
    the next statement will probably be blasphemous to some ha but ive never really liked using a big chefs knife and found that i like the crazy cheap "rado" knives that can be found at flea markets. you can buy a paring knife and sharpener for less than $10. the knives will get very sharp after a few strokes through the sharpener and hold an edge pretty well. its a soft metal in these knives and they wont work to chop through bones but work well for normal kitchen use.

15. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

What dont you like about the 10" knife? I've been looking at a 10 incher.

16. tavo

tavo

17. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Hummm, you've givem me pause...I've got a 10" shun staked out on ebay, but I'll have to think some more about it. Sometimes it seems to me like the 8 is too short particularly when you're cutting watermelons and carving big roasts etc.

18. lcarreau

lcarreau Reload Artist

I have the big Wusthof set. It was pricey, but they are very good knives. Oddly enough, I mostly just use a couple. I might have been better off buying 3 ala carte. I mean it came with a bread knife, but there is not a lot of difference between a really good bread knife and a cheapy (IMHO.) You really want to shell out when it comes knives that are used for cutting meat and for chopping. That is where the high end stuff makes the biggest difference.

-Lonnie

19. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

I have a 10 inch goldhamster, a really beautiful knife, and two eight inch chef knives, one Wusthof and one Henkel. I rarely use the 10 inch chef knive, the 8 inch knives are much more maneuverable. The only time I use the goldhamster is when I need a lot of weight to cut through something, like a big brisket. I have handled shun knives in the store, they seem pretty light, so the 10 inch might be more easy to handle that a german made 10 inch.

20. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

The knife ended up going for $110 bucks. You can buy them all over the net for $120'something and you'll be getting "new" instead of something described as "mint". For the extra money I'd rather get new. Also I've found that the Shun knives are avaialble in a left handed version. I handled them and I could live with a righty but for a few extra bucks why not have what you want.

I'll have to go fondle some more and see which feels better the 8 or the 10. You're right tho, they're very light for their size.