close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

hardest thing i've done in a long, long time

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rfb45colt, Jan 22, 2010.

1. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

I lost my best friend today. I'm not ashamed to say my best friend was a dog, an 11 yr old Chocolate Lab female, named Cody. She was my hunting partner, my constant companion, and was loved by everyone who knew her. She was a total sweetheart. She lost a 5 mo battle with cancer. I had to make that final decision... make that final drive to the vet's... carry her in, and leave without her. She was euthanized a few hours ago... she died in my arms. :crying:

2. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

I know how you feel. It ain't easy

3. okie

okie GT Mayor

I'm so sorry my friend:sadangel:

4. Gallium

Gallium CLM

You did good by your friend, and put her out of her pain and misery.

'Drew

5. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

I'm sorry for your loss. I may be facing the same decision sunday with a Boxer that won't urinate. He's not really useful for anything like hunting, but he is my sidekick, and a loyal, protective one.

Keep your chin up.

6. Slobberchops

Slobberchops WTF?!?!?

:sadangel:

sorry to hear, but you done good being there for her.

7. silentpoet

silentpoet

I have had to do that before and you are right that it is about the hardest thing you will ever have to do. It does get better though, and you did right by her.

8. strangepork

strangepork

Sorry to hear it. I'm sure she was sweet and that you gave her the best care that you could.

9. gold2125

gold2125 Member

We had to put down our Irish Wolfhound the same way--bladder cancer. The vets were friends and came to our home. We were fortunate he died here. I am truly sorry for your loss.

10. napp32

napp32

Eleven years of love just doesn't seem like enough when this happens.

I've had to make similar trips on four occasions...it never gets easier. I suspect I will have to make, at least, one more such trip. My Sheltie turned 11 years old last week.

My Chocolate Lab is only fifteen months old. I will be 73 next month, so it's kind of a toss up as to which of us will go first.

Hang tight, my friend. Time will help; but it will never completely erase what you feel now.

11. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Sorry for your loss.

My dad who is in his 70's has had to go through every pet he had as a farm kid, then the pets that we had as kids and putting them down, not to mention all the pets he had to put down for others. I don't know how he handled it, and he's a Veterinarian. We've lost two cats due to health and age, and have two dogs that are getting up there.

Animals don't have a concept of time, and we treat them the best we can to enable them to live their lifespan. I like to think that when the time comes for my dogs I'll look back and think that I was able to give them a great life as they did the same for me while they were here.

And I do think that Rainbow Bridge thing is a buch of crap by the way.

12. GlockerMike

GlockerMike God Help Us

So, so sorry. It hurts bad, really bad, I've been there. :crying:

May time take some of your hurt away.

13. Super Trucker

Super Trucker NRA Endowment Life Member

Sorry for your loss, you did the right thing though. You will always have memories.

14. 69stingray

69stingray 427 ci

I'm sorry for your loss it will be two years this May since I had to put my Chocolate Lab down. Even thought it was time and it was the right thing to do it was one of the hardest things I've had to do. So I won't tell you all of that stuff just .... I feel for you ..... :crying:

Ray

15. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

My complete sympathies are with you and your family at your loss.
    We lost both our Labs last year.
    I know exactly how you feel...

16. SnowCajun

SnowCajun Old, no cure!

My sympathies to you over your loss, I know it's not easy, it never is! I've lost both my parents but saw that coming, therefore I was emotionally prepared when they went, at least as prepared as one can be for that. On the other hand I wasn't prepared for the loss of my black lab. Until that needle went in her leg and the vet looked up and asked, "are you sure this is what you want to do" ... and your hear your mind screaming and saying, "of course it's not what I want to do, but you said there was no other choice" ... then the finality of her being injected and feeling her going limp in my arms started the waterworks in my eyes. I couldn't stop, nor was I ashamed of it either.

A more true or loyal friend I'd never had. This March 12th 2007, it will be 3 years, I still have trouble keeping a dry eye looking at her photos. The pain is less but the missing her hasn't gone away. I have some of the best memories in the world with my best friend and I .. I'm thankful for every minute I had with her, and like my parents who were unhappy with the Japanese for bombing Pearl Harbor for a lot of years afterward the war, right now I'm not very happy with the Chinese for their tainted dog food that took my best friend away.

Nor am I happy with Iam's who gave me squat because I'd not kept the dog food packages and she was one of the early ones to be found that this tainted dog food was what was killing her. Iam's lied saying not to worry that I'd be taken care of, they gave me their word, yet their promises meant nothing, their word was worthless. I'll never purposely buy another product of theirs again in my life.

17. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

My black male lab is named Cody (CodyBoy). He had a good buddy named Brady that he lost back in Nov 09.

He misses him very much, probably more than me, I don't know.

I feel your pain and am not looking forward to when Cody no longer greets me with his football, when I pull in the driveway coming home from work.

:crying:

18. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Been there...

It hurts, but is right.

Sorry for your pain.

19. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

I'm so sorry about your loss. She's waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge. :angel:

20. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

I hope you're starting to feel better by now. All the best to you.