close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Harddrive ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jack19512, Apr 15, 2006.

1. jack19512

jack19512

My wife has a harddrive on her computer that she uses just for storage. Today when she tried to access it she kept getting the dialog box that read "this disk has not been formatted, do you want to format it now?".

I checked everything I knew to check and even installed the drive in my computer as a slave and I got the same thing. What could have happened to this drive to cause it to do this?

The drive kept showing as RAW and I went ahead and formatted it and it appears to be working fine now. I am definitely not a computer expert and this is a new one on me. Any ideas what could have happened to this drive? Thanks

2. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I have had this happen before. Just be weary about what you put onto it and keep backups because it is dying :( Just happens sometimes. Is it still under warranty, if so I would send back and get another.

3. jack19512

jack19512

RaiderRodney

Thanks for the reply. Because of poor record keeping I don't know if the harddrive would still be under warranty or not. I am pretty sure I got it from Newegg.com. I don't know if they would have a record of the purchase or not.

4. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Yes. Newegg keeps orders apparently in perpetuity. Just log in and there's an order history link. The production date should be on the drive somewhere. Newegg only offers 1yr of coverage at most, but the sales record will give you sufficient documentation to get a replacement from the manufacturer, if it's still covered.

5. RaiderRodney

Yep, and if they don't have the manufacturer's data just head over to zipzoomfly.com and get it.

If it is a Seagate drive it should be a 5 year warranty from man. date. If it is WD though...probably only 1 year :( Good luck though.

6. jack19512

jack19512

I am out of luck as far as the warranty goes. I checked Newegg's site and looked over my purchases and I had purchased 2 harddrives but the one with the problem wasn't one of them. :)

7. RaiderRodney

You can still go through the manufacturer if it hasn't been to long. Did you check thr manufacturered date on the HD?

8. jack19512

jack19512

The harddrive is a Maxtor. The Mfg. date is Oct. 2002. I will order her a new one because she has lost faith in this one and as in your previous post it is probably on it's death bed. :) The next one though I will pay attention to the warranty and keep better track of this info. Thanks