close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

harddrive for dell laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mrglocks, Aug 24, 2004.

1. mrglocks

mrglocks Cookie Ninja

my Hard Drive went in my Dell latitude Xpi it was a 2 gig and was about 7 years old where can i get a new or used one? can i still get one for such an old Machine? by the way it was an IBM H.D.
    any help would be appricated.

2. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate

You can get a new hard drive, but your BIOS might not support the full size. You're probably better off getting a newer machcine, but if not, you can probably buy a new 10GB HD and swap it in. Or you could ebay an old drive.

-k

3. srhoades

srhoades

Any 2.5" drive will do. If you don't want new one that is large, get a used one off ebay.

4. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Dito Ebay

2GB? wow not much in terms of storage space. But if all you do is surf and write word documents that should work.
    However you may not want to upgrade to a newer OS due to the fact they take up much more room and the security and serice packs really make the OS grow.

You also need space for virtual memory. so a 10 to 20 gb model should work for you.

5. mrglocks

mrglocks Cookie Ninja

so more or less i should dump the machine?

6. prism

prism more ammo

don't dump it.

get a replacement hard drive. even if your bios doesn't support the entire amount, you should be able to use at least 2 gigs of it.

ebay is obvious HD source.

also, call Dell. they may help you out!

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

8. nothing

nothing Advertisement

Even if the bios doesn't support the harddrive most manufactures make an overlay that will allow the computer to use the full harddrive. The largest your computer would recognize without an overlay is probably 6.4GB.

9. jilverthor

jilverthor

Don't get a new computer just becuase your hard drive is damaged. You can buy new drives and install them into the machine if you are mechanically gifted. As an added benifit it wold probably speed up the machine since the newer hard drives have a much faster transfer rate. A great place to get a new drive would be Newegg.com. Here is a link to their notebook hard drive page:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=list&catalog=380&DEPA=1

While you have the computer open you could probably also upgrade the memory if you wanted (not sure about the specs if you have a second memory slot or what speed of memory it would take) and that would also speed up the computer some.

That all said, a 7 year old laptop is gonna be on it's last legs for most things. I am amzed that you don't have problems with the battery and things like that. It might be worth it to just get a new laptop if you are able to afford it.