Hard trigger pull on the Glock .40

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Excoastie, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Excoastie

Excoastie

I'm used to a lighter trigger pull like my Model 41 Smith and I think my .40 is too hard.

I saw kits to install aftermarket parts and I told my buddy, an ex detective, about it. He said if I do it, don't ever mention it to a cop.

Is there something wrong about doing this?

2. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

On going debate. While I've never heard of anybody being prosecuted for a modified trigger, I suppose some might see it as intent on some level. A few years back, a police officer came under fire for an engraving on the inside of the dust cover on his AR15. Personally, I love a great trigger. The trigger pull on my target ARs, requires nothing more than a friendly smile. The trigger on the AR that might potentially need to be used for home defense, is stock. I don't own a 1911 with a bad trigger, but they're all range toys. All of my Glocks and the Sig that I carry are all stock. People will complain about a semi-auto handgun with a 5 or 6 lbs. trigger, but brag about a revolver with a 12 lbs. trigger. Thought is that adrenaline during an attack will drop that 12 lbs. trigger to 2 lbs. or less, if you even feel the trigger pull at all. When it comes down to it, it's your call.

3. Excoastie

Excoastie

Hmmm. Interesting.

4. Bradley T

Bradley T

5. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Just like the double action trigger pull is harder on a Smith and wesson model 19 than the single action trigger pull, the striker fired trigger pull on you Glock will be harder than the single action trigger pull on your model 41 Smith and Wesson.

When I got my first DA revolver I only shot it single action because it had a much easier trigger pull and I could shoot more accurately with it. And then I was at the local indoor range and the guy next to me was shooting a revolver DA and getting tighter groups than I was. I asked him how he was able to do that and he just said, "Practice".

So then I was determined to learn to shoot my revolver double action and someone advised me to only focus on keeping the gun on target and increasing my speed and not on the trigger. And it took about 1000 rounds plus some practice with a 9 shot Taurus DA revolver which had a horrible trigger, but eventually I could shoot my revolver double action as accurately as I could shoot it single action.

And that;s what it takes to shoot a Glock wit the factory trigger accurately. Yo focus only on keeping your sights on target and stop focusing on how hard teh trigger pull is especially since it isn't as hard as a DA revolver. And when I got my first Glock it only took abut 5-600 rounds to get good with it.

There are many downsides to messing with the factory trigger of the Glock. One, is that by making the trigger pull lighter, you're making the gun more dangerous to carry almost like carrying a 1911 with a round in the chamber and the hammer cocked and the safety off.
    And the other downside is that a Glock is 100 percent reliable in factory form but not all trigger jobs are 100 percent reliable.

It's better to learn howto use the factory trigger in case you ever have to use the gun for serious social purposes.

6. Excoastie

Excoastie

We used used the1911 in boot camp and on watch duty. Good thing I never needed to use it cuz I couldn't hit the barn with it, much less the door.

You guys make good points.

7. cciman

cciman MacGyver

If you learn to drive a stick shift smoothly, you will be an overall better driver, and more "as one" with your car.

If you get into the habit of modifying triggers as a crutch/aid to poor shooting technique, you will end up modifying every gun you own from this point forward, searching for that "perfect trigger".

8. FireMedic-50

FireMedic-50 Silver Member

Welcome to GT

Give us some history on the pistol, please.

new, old, generation, model?

have you owned it long?

have you detailed cleaned and lubed per glock specs?

it could be a very simple fix, but to armchair this we need these details.

9. Excoastie

Excoastie

I don’t have it in front of me but I believe its a 23. I bought it around 2002 ?? And shot it for the first time this summer. I took it apart and cleaned and lubed it and haven’t shot it again. I just remember how hard the trigger pull was.

The previous answers make sense and I’m going to take their advice.

I have a Colt Trooper and Borg Warner described how he practiced and could shoot double action. That’s something I’d like to try. Regarding that pistol, it had a scope on it when I bought it. That’s when I got into more advanced reloading, some time in the ‘70s. The man that sold me bullets weighed each bullet and with the scope, I could shoot about a 12” group at 100 yards. Of course, it was single action and resting my grip on sandbags. Quite a pistol. I saw one recently at a gun shop and they wanted $1000 and the dealer said they were popular. Scratching my head, I wondered why anybody would want a manual pistol when semi-automatics were easier.

10. FireMedic-50

A Coastie huh? I bet you are 6' tall....lol
    I was a 'Grape' on the Sara.

If it wasn't cleaned and properly lubed recently/ever and has been sitting all this time, that could be your issue right there. Fresh lubrication never hurts a pistol.

A Glock will never have a trigger like a 1911. Ever.
    I don't know if that is what you seek.

If it needs it, trigger pull can be lightened by a couple of simple things without [possibly] sacrificing reliability.

11. Excoastie

Excoastie

I am slightly over 6’. Joined at 17 and sworn in on 18th birthday. What is a Grape?

I lubed it recently, but didn’t refer to a manual.

I wouldn’t remember the trigger of the .45. That was 50 years ago. I got very good cleaning an M1, though.

I would try a few simple things on the trigger, but not at the expense of reliability.

12. FireMedic-50

A Grape is an ABF in Navy. Purple shirt, fueled aircraft.