close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hard to be firearm ignorant these days.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by PlayboyPenguin, Mar 19, 2010.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

In another thread we are all discussing the worst guns we ever bought back when we were too young and stupid to know any better. One thing that is becoming clear is that the gun buyers that are young now do not seem to be making the same mistakes us older guys made. I think the main reason is gun forums like this one. It is just too easy to educate yourself these days and way harder to remain "gun ignorant." When I started buying handguns myself, back in 1987, there was no such thing as the internet to help me out. :crying:

2. farley45

farley45

The internet can also hurt, depending on what you like and where you are getting your info.

There are a lot of stereo types out there on the net that people read and believe.

Although, in general, I agree with you.

More so about figuring out and fixing problems with firearms rather than purchasing them.

3. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

I honestly believe that boards and internet are a double edge sword. To get informed on reliability, quality, and personal experience with the actualy fire arms, accessorits, etc. this is second to none.....Because everybody brings their experiences good or bad to the table, and if one of us has made a mistake some where some time, we can share our experiences and can help some what avoid pit falls.

When it comes to CCW, andi information legalities, such as where you can or can't carry, open carry....(shopping at Wal-Mart) STAY FAR AWAY. As the info will vary vastly from state to state, depending on municipality. (and some will just get you in really big big trouble)

I would advise staying away from Magazines, as (I may get flamed for this) but I think they tend to "sell out" in many respects, although I don't blame them as every one has to pay the bills. But, when your "handgun of the year" for several years straight, tends to be made by the same manufacturer that takes up alot of ad space, I have to question biases.

When Ruger beats Springfield Armory, Glock, and even Sig.......its time to cancel the subscription

4. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

Before Internet, (or before I had it) the only infor I received on fire arms was from my grandpa, which when it came down to it, the only thing he believed any one ever needed was a 1911, and Winchester lever Action rifle 30-30. That was it, what else could you want? or need?

That was his preference..................the internet has made the world smaller, and made it that much easier for some one to communicate with some one or any one about any particular subject, fire arms is just one area...

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

There are still plenty of stupid people out there. Hi-point hasn't closed it's doors yet and Taurus still sells PT1911's and Judges by the truckload.
    Never underestimate stupid!

6. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

I think the internet and gun forums do help some people, however I think the majority of gun buyers still choose guns the old fashion way, by either word of mouth, or by the suggestion of the guy behind the counter.

7. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

There are plenty who remain relatively ignorant despite, or even with the help of the internet. Even here, on this relatively civil and enlightened board, there are those who regularly swear to comically incorrect info, based solely upon what they heard from other novices, or what they read on the internet. So we gained a great deal, but we've also created a new class of uninformed folks, only these see themselves as quasi experts based upon their surfing skills. Gain some, lose some.

8. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

Three words:

Call Of Duty.

Don't play it, but every male, 9 years old and above, seems to play it and is now a faux firearms expert because of it.

9. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

What's funny is that I've had to stop and mentally separate my opinions about a gun and the video game version once. I'm like that gun sucks, oh wait.....

10. JNKIRK1974

JNKIRK1974

+1!

I love Call of Duty, but it's amazing how many people think they know about guns, just because they play the game!

11. dosei

dosei

There were gun rags back then. I never found it difficult to stay informed. While many may argue that gun rags simply give good write-ups to good advertisers, I disagree. I've read plenty of reviews that pointed out the faults of a gun. And online forums have plenty of bad information on them. If a reader does not take the time to cross check and confirm information, I feel they will be fed far more BS online than they would be from any gun rag.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  12. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

There's more firearms related crazytalk now than ever.

13. raven11

raven11

He has a point I have a college friend that thinks every firearms myth in the book is true, the only saving grace he dosent have enought money to buy a real gun

on the otherhand I agree with your statement

My first handgun was a walther p99 but for all the hype I rarely shoot it now
    i saw a second deal on sig228 online and now it is my faveroite handgun

And i I'm not even 25 yet

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  14. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

Ah, the internet, the opinion super highway. How did we manage to survive before it!

15. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Ain't that the truth:rofl:

16. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Thank god for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so we'll have a storehouse of silliness to chortle about as the years roll by. A repository of gun-owner retardation, as the case may be.

17. BobbyT

BobbyT

Sure the old wives' tales still abound, but there's much easier access to good info, and the world is much "flatter" now.

25 years ago you learned about guns from your dad, and maybe a couple shooting buddies who lived nearby. You had your one or two local gun stores, and whatever range was nearest.

That's thousands of tiny little isolated islands of very limited info. Nowadays, we have forums with 200,000 members from 50 states and a dozen countries, dozens of websites selling every part, cleaner, accessory, and ammo type, and people like those of Box o Truth, NutnFancy, Ballistics by the Inch, etc trying things out, publishing real world info, sharing their opinions, and gaining huge followings.

So yeah the bad info is still out there, but anyone who puts forth the slightest effort has a thousand times the info available just from a 30 second web search, not to mention more availability and price competition. There's no reason to buy a junk gun from a pawn shop when there are so many solid products available.

18. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

People still say this stuff:

"I have it on sound authority that if you're hit in the hand by a "45" you will spin around like a top."

"I have it on sound authority that if you're hit in the chest by a "45" you will be thrown back 10 feet."

"A .357 magnum will shoot through an engine block."

:)

19. Berto

Berto woo woo

In the eighties, we had magazine editors to tells the new Colt ______ was the greatest thing since the Alaskan firedragon. Now we have internet misinformation.

20. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Impossiblist

there is a lot of stupid regurgitation that goes on.

But there are also some cool old timers that privately pass along their knowledge on everything from guns to music, and we are lucky to have that.