close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

hard times with my new g.i.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by bradbury, Aug 3, 2010.

1. bradbury

bradbury

not having a lot of luck with my new springfield 1911...had a helluva time field stripping it right out of the box...couldn't get the gun to come apart...had to give it a few taps on the back of the slide with a rubber mallet to get the slide off...then had multiple fte with commercial ammo...ejected rounds hitting me in the forehead...i was hoping after shooting the gun it would loosen up and wouldn't be so hard to field strip the 2nd time around, but no luck...pulled the plug, pulled the slide stop, and the gun wont budge...i tried the mallet again, but wont come apart...wtf!! exasperated to say the least...looks like i'll be giving springfield a call in the morning...anyone have any experience with customer service and getting them to pick up the dime with shipping?

2. bac1023

bac1023

Do you have any pics?

There's either something wrong with the gun or your procedures.

3. rsxr22

rsxr22

definitely post some pictures... Is this your first 1911?

4. bradbury

bradbury

no camera, sorry. never had any problems taking down the R.I.A. i used to have...pretty basic procedure...when you have to resort to a mallet to take down your gun, somethings obviously out of spec somewhere...

5. CMG

CMG

A silly question, perhaps, but you did remove the magazine, yes?

6. bradbury

bradbury

i know a picture is worth a thousand words but i'll try to be a little more brief for everyones sake...depressed the spring plug, turned the barrel bushing to the left, took off the barrel plug, spring remains in gun, pulled slide back to align slide stop with the takedown hole, pulled the slide stop out, and now the slide wont move forwards off the frame or backwards...no play in barrel or barrel link...

7. bradbury

bradbury

yes. mag out, chamber checked, hammer cocked...

8. bradbury

bradbury

the first time i could move the slide back and forth a little and there was some play in the barrel link...this time there's no movement at all...i can see the barrel link thru the slide stop hole and it's little forward of the slide stop hole but wont move at all.

9. bradbury

bradbury

had high hopes for the g.i....been shooting 9mm glocks for a while now and wanted to get into shooting the 45...i'm sure springfield will make it right and i'll be a happy camper again...just sucks to send your new gun off...

10. bac1023

bac1023

Very odd...

11. bradbury

bradbury

hey bac, i've had two 1911's and both were unfortunately not the most reliable guns...i'm not giving up on the platform yet, tho...they feel and look magnificent...and when they go boom are very accurate and soft shooting...btw, you have some of the finest specimens on the net, and both your collection and photography makes me drool with envy...

12. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Oddly enough I had this happen with the Springer GI I got just yesterday when I first field stripped it, and this was first for me with 1911's.

Not my first 1911 by a long shot, I can break them down with my eyes closed by now.

But the same deal, for some reason the slide got bound up on the frame. As best as I could tell it seemed somehow the barrel link got stuck against the frame or possibly the recoil guide was somehow preventing the barrel link from moving as needed. Could be the recoil guide was binding against the frame thus locking up the barrel link....it was hard to tell, but seemed related to the barrel link.

Either way...very weird. Just took a small punch and pushed the link forward through the slide stop hole and gave it a few gentle taps on the rear of the slide and off it came.

I've field stripped it a few more times and no problems at all....breaks down clean...can't duplicate the initial issue. In my case I'll just attribute it to it being new and stiff. Everything felt pretty gritty out of the box...gave it a good clean and lube and all seems to be well now. If you haven't done so, give the gun a good cleaning and some lube...especially the barrel link if you haven't done so and see how it likes that. Could somehow be there's some kind of grit it binding it up...possibly a longshot...but might be worth a try.

But the problem getting the slide off was indeed a first for me and a bit of a strange one at that. As long as it shoots, I'm not too worried about it. Sometimes 1911's can be a bit hinky out of the box. More often than not for me, they've all worked great from the start. I've had a few though that had some teething issues, but eventually smoothed out after some use and TLC.

If you're still having problems though, I'd give Springfield a call. They'll make it right.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  13. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

It is odd...hummmm

Did you fish the link forward like the above Magus said above?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  14. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Did you drop the mag?

15. bac1023

bac1023

He did Cobra.

Odd indeed. :dunno:

16. ctfireman

ctfireman

That really sucks to hear. I hope you guys end up as happy as i am with my new GI.

17. 11bdad

11bdad 11bdad

Can you pull the slide to the rear, or is it seized?

18. deadite

deadite Groovy.

That is weird.

Let us know what Springfield says.

deadite

19. Jim S.

Jim S.

When you do get it apart look for unusual wear marks.
    It should tell you where the problem may be.
    At least Springer customer service is good.

20. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Only other thing that I can speculate it could be is an out of spec part. Wrong size barrel link, out of spec recoil guide rod, or improperly fit barrel could be the culprit. Those things would contribute to the feeding problems you're having. Those or a poorly tuned extractor.

It will probably take a little trial and error on your part to figure out what the problem is. That or just call Springfield and ship it off. They've got excellent customer service and will make things right.