Hard Primers- Spring Change?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by scott lambert, Apr 7, 2010.

1. scott lambert

scott lambert

Hello Guys, just picked up a new Glock 19 9mm and have a few questions...

I bought some surplus 9mm ammo from Sportsman's Guide and my gun will not fire it, only was able to fire 2 out of 20 rounds.

SG has offered to pick up the ammo but adviced that a change of the firing pin spring would allow me to shoot the ammo without trouble.

I ordered this extra heavy firing pin spring and it should be here this week....
    http://glockmeister.com/product_info.php?products_id=232

Time for the questions...
    1) Will changing the firing pin spring allow me to fire the ammo without problems?
    2) Should I keep the ammo or send it back? I have $8 a box in it as I bought a bunch. :shocked:
    3)Will changing the firing pin spring damage my gun or cause a drastic increase in weight of the trigger?
    4) If I end up sending the ammo back, who has the best prices on ammo that will fire properly in my gun?

Hope this is in the right place as I'm a newb so take it easy on me...:embarassed:

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

It might, but there's only one way to find out for sure....try it.

If it doesn't fire with the heavier spring....certainly. But I'd want to chronograph a few rounds to see how powerful it is before shooting much of it. Some countries have made ammo not intended for use in handguns, and it may not be good to shoot.

It is likely to increase trigger pull weight, but 'drastically'? Again, there's really only one way to know for sure. Can it damage your gun? Not too likely, but for me, I'd avoid doing a lot of dry firing with the heavy spring in place.

Good luck! :)

3. scott lambert

scott lambert

Thanks Butch.....

I was going to post a link to the ammo but SG ended up pulling it from there website right after I place a call.

I think it originally stated that is was 1960's ammo & I think it was intended/produced for a 9mm sub machine gun. However there was lots of good reveiws there and some Glock owners posted as well. Hope the reviews were not fabercated by SG

More info please...I do not know anything about chronograph's for handguns (what should I look for or expect to see?), now a bow that's a different story. I'm more of a long gun/hunter and just started to get into sport shooting

Home defense has always been 00 Buck Shot :supergrin:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  4. Glockin26

Glockin26

I had on order 1500 rounds of that Pakistani SMG ammunition but only after i placed the order i was informed it was out of stock. A few days later they put a disclaimer saying it has hard primers and was intended to be used with SMG's not pistols. I canceled my order and went to a gun show and picked up some factory brass FMJ rounds at 22 cents a shell. Glad i did. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, and good luck.

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I suggest you send it back and go to Wal-Mart for your ammo.

6. jack76590

jack76590

I understand if you have a great imbalance between your firing pin spring and recoil spring you could pull the gun out of battery.

Wolff talks about this on their website, but in terms of going to a too weak recoil spring with standard firing pin spring.

7. jack76590

jack76590

Cut and paste from the ad. Note it is corrosive. And non reloadable. I would go to Walmart as Danny suggests.

"Brass-cased. Berdan-primed. Corrosive. Non-reloadable. 124-gr. full metal jacket bullet"

8. Asmodeus6

Asmodeus6

The Pakistani "2Z" 80's surplus floating around is SMG hard primer ammo. I have 300 rounds of it through my 26 already without a single issue. If you find people crying about it not working it's because it's hard primer ammo and most people haunting forums are too clueless to just change a $3 spring. Doing that would get in the way of their ability to whine on the internet, instead of be out shooting.

6# striker spring + XP trigger spring to lessen the effect of the heavier striker spring.
    LWD or Wolff has what you need. It works just fine.

As for it being corrosive. I wouldn't doubt it. But how hard is it to clean a pistol barrel? I'll shoot this stuff ANY day of the week over WWB garbage. Especially if I can get it for the same price or less.

WWB sucks.

9. scott lambert

scott lambert

Thanks for the advices on sending it back but I wouldn't buy a pack of gum from walmart.

10. user

user VaLegalDefense

Well, it's the only place I can go to buy the kind of cat litter I want (no "fragrance"). That seemed appropriate to me.

Check to make sure the primers are dimpled adequately; there should be evidence of a good depression in the surface of the primer. If not, take the slide off and depress the hammer block safety, then push on the back of the firing pin with a punch. It would be best to measure the distance the firing pin sticks out the little hole, and compare that to specifications, but you ought to be able to eyeball it - if it doesn't stick out enough to fire the primer, it may just be worn. Then, again, if you're going to replace the spring anyway (i.e., taking the slide apart), you may as well replace the striker as well.

11. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

With new Glocks I like to shoot 4 boxes of heavy grain boolits just to loosen up the spring.

12. scott lambert

scott lambert

Double Post- Deleted

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  13. scott lambert

scott lambert

That's the plan, If I still can not fire it after changing the spring then I'll send it back.
    Have you got a link to the XP triger spring?
    And again this is a new gun so I doubt it's worn but anything is poss I guess.

14. scott lambert

scott lambert

Change the firing pin out for the extra fire power firing pin and ammo still will not fire.....guess I'm SOL.

15. striker777

striker777 GT Member

A++.... I won't drive in the parking lot.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  16. Jager1147

Jager1147

I manufacture Glock strikers, how about I send you a "second" (that is didn't pass QC) at no charge and post how it works? Our lightened strikers have some geometrical changes from stock and have a track record of lighting hard primers. Can't make any promises, but what have you got to lose? Check out my forum in the sponsors area here and e-mail me your shipping info if you're interested.

From another forum I sponsor:

Post # 22
    http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64668&pid=1188311&st=0&#entry1188311

Post #2
    http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94814&pid=1179778&st=0&#entry1179778

17. scott lambert

scott lambert

Sounds GREAT!!!

For some reason I'm having a hard time getting your email to pull under your personal info. Is there contact information if I access it through your site? Have email ready as a draft.
    Tks, Scott

18. scott lambert

scott lambert

Email sent through the services of this board, let me know if you did not get it. I'll be more than happy to give it a test run :supergrin:

Thanks!!!!

Scott

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  19. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Many years ago (pre-GlockTalk) I did a little informal testing with a Lightning Strike light weight firing pin and some surplus 9mm ammo that my G17 wasn't firing very well, and found that there was no real difference in performance between the LS and the OEM firing pin. I used the same gun with the same springs, only the firing pin was different.

The ammo I used was (I think) Arab made.....can anyone confirm that based on this pic?)
    [​IMG]

Both firing pins fired about half of the rounds attempted on the first impact, and all rounds eventually did fire with repeated impacts.

It will be interesting to see if your firing pin does any better.

And :thumbsup: for letting him try one! Heck, I'll try one too if you want! (Yup, I still have some of that same ammo to try it with)