Hard night reminds me to appreciate what we have

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by x_out86, Aug 11, 2015.

1. x_out86

x_out86

Short and sweet post. Not looking for sympathy, just to decompress and maybe help put things in perspective.

Simply put, I watched a man commit suicide last night. Right in front of me, with what appeared to be little hesitation. Of all the suicides I've worked in ten years, this is the first time I've watched it happen.

While the experience was disturbing, what sticks with me more is the idea of appreciating the people in your life. Hug your wife, husband, mom, dad, kids, brother, sister, whatever. It appears this guy was a loner and decided to take his own life instead of go to jail for his actions. Tell them they are loved and valued. I can't say it would have prevented this, but just maybe it would have given him something to live for.

Stay safe brothers and sisters. Tell your friends and family how much you love and appreciate them.

Newcop761 likes this.
  2. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Good advice. We take too much granted indeed. What you saw definitely brings that to focus.

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

One thing I appreciate about LE, is you get to see things on a daily if not weekly basis that will remind you to appreciate your family and loved ones more.

4. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

this is the only job where people hate you because of the clothes you wear.

janice6 likes this.
  5. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

Sorry you had to go through that. And I am glad he didn't decide to take someone out with him. Talk to someone if you need to. Stay safe and try to keep sane.

cowboywannabe likes this.
  6. yamen1999

yamen1999

I'm not a cop, but I did do 20 years in the military. Cops see allot of disturbing things that affect you in a negative way. In talking to some vets, they believe seeking help means they are weak. Nothing can be further from the truth. All of us have a limit. When that limit is reached, we need to reach out for help. I've told vets and others, that you can't help others when your broken. You can't take care of family, when you are broken. You are not being selfish when you devote time to fixing yourself. Depression knows no boundaries, it's an equal opportunity life wrecker. The person the OP watched end his life was in such a dark hole, that not much could of been done to stop him besides making him unconscious. Sorry you had to witness them ending their life. All of you, take care of yourselves. I appreciate what you do.

7. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Amen. Thank you.

8. Ftttu

Ftttu

I hear you. I arrived at a suicide just this past Sunday morning just after it happened. I thought I was responding to the same guy who had sliced up his wrists at least a couple of times before, but when I got there, it was his next door neighbor. This guy took himself out with a 9mm to the side of his head from a Beretta M9.

I felt sorry for his girlfriend who was in the apartment with him when he did it and for the family who showed up afterward. The scene was terrible enough but with the victim's family and friends wailing, screaming and us having to wrestle some of them away, it made it that more worse.

9. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Sorry you had to see that, if you need to talk, let me know.

10. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

Glad he didn't first try to hurt you before ending his own life.

11. merlynusn

merlynusn

Hey if you need someone to talk to let me know.

12. Detectorist

Detectorist

Very sorry. Talk to someone on this forum. Sometimes it's easier if you don't work together.

13. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

x_out86 I'm sorry you had to see that.

I'm glad you're able to take something positive out of it; appreciating the people we love and have in our lives. Sometimes we take for granted the people in our lives.

Take care of yourself.

14. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Well said...