close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hard drive transplant. Help me please!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by beefums, Dec 9, 2006.

1. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

Ok, my computer is about to die. The Power Supply is going, the processor is starting to crap out. It is time to get a new computer.

Well, I do have a new computer. Trouble is it only has a 40gb hard drive. I want to keep that hard drive and run programs and windows off of it. However, I also want to implant my 80gb to hold music, games, documents, etc.

How can I rig it so both are running?

2. Darkmage

Darkmage

Okay, I'm a little confused.

Do you have a new computer with a 40GB hard drive? Is the 80 GB drive your existing hard drive in your now dying computer?

The easiest thing to do is to get your new computer up and running with only the 40 GB drive in it. Get everything updated and the drivers installed etc. etc. etc. Once that's done, simply transplant your 80 GB drive into the new computer on the 2nd connector of the IDE cable going from the motherboard to your hard drive.

Windows (on the 40GB drive) will recognize that there is another drive available and assign it a drive letter. You can then delete the Windows directory on the 80 GB drive.

HTH.

3. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

The 80 gig is in my current PC.

My parents gave me a one year old PC they had with a 40gb HD.

Where do I plug in these cables? I seriously am clueless.

4. prism

prism more ammo

a flexible solution is to get an external hard drive kit, and put your 80 gig drive in it.

5. beefums

beefums Omnomnom

eh, if I am going to spend money I'll just buy a brand new box.

6. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Dont need to get an external HD kit, you just slave the Drive. Just about any computer's ribbon cable can accomodate another HD.

Open up the box and look where your HD is mounted, disconnect the power cable and ribbon cable and unscrew it.

unplug the darn thing ok?

Open up your new computer and locate a spot to mount the HD.
    There is a jumper on the HD, set it to slave your 80GB drive.
    Some HD's have a little map on them showing you where to move the little square pin, use a pair of tweezers if you can't remove it with your finger nails.

after it's slaved just plug the ribbon cable into it and find an extra power plug, boot the machine up and let the computer recognize it. It may tell you to reboot your computer after is recongizes it.

After that enjoy you 80gb of HD space.

7. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Several variables exist:

The main issue with you old PC may only require a $40.00 power supply swap. There may be no permanent damage to the CPU but the power supply causes the whole system to crash and lock up, data read and write issues etc. But to check the power supply involves buying another one and most stores won't refund your money on parts. A Ma and Pa computer shop, a place someone you know trusts, could check it out for free if you buy the power supply from them.

(See if there is room to mount your old hard drive.)

All that being said:

What brand is the "new" PC?

Pull the power cables off the back of the PCs before you open the cases.

The old drive may be IDE and the newer drive maybe a SATA, serial drive. Like 4-lug rims on a 5-lug axle and it may not work. But, I doubt the old 40 GB drive is a SATA drive so look at the back of the “new” computer's hard drive’s data cable connector. You will most likely find it will be a flat "ribbon" with two block connector two rows wide, an IDE cable.

Check for a jumper location on your old hard drive that is marked either cable select or CS if the jumper is not there move from either the slave or master location to the "CS" spot.

A small cage may hold the hard drives in the “new” PC. You may need to remove the data and power connector from the old drive if you have to remove a cage, mark the “new” drive’s connectors with a sharpie marker first. Check for screws and look for a latch to allow the cage to be slide out of the case. Mount your old drive with the screws for the old computer or there may be slide in rails from the “new” computer, whichever works.

Replace the cage if needed and hookup the power connector to the drive. It is a rectangle with two black, one red and one yellow wire.

Double check your connectors to be sure they are all secure and replace the power wire to the back of the case.

Push the power button and see if the PC identifies the old drive. Your data will be on the D: drive. You may want to ask someone more experienced to help you do the clean up on the old drive and erase the windows folder on the old drive Be careful to insure it is the D: drive you are deleting folders on!

Best wishes!

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

You're talking 30 dollars.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=31389&CatId=1204

Its a great way to do mass storage backup also. Won't require opening the case on the new PC, just on the old one to remove the hard drive.

If this is a code red critical situation, and needs done ASAP, best buy sells their "Dynex" brand for $50. I have 2 of these and they work fine.

If you don't want to do that however, follow Blitzer and Net Ninja's advice.

IGF