close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

hard drive recovery

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pt945, Sep 25, 2004.

1. pt945

pt945 GLOCK 17

help my hard drive has crashed on my other pc. my question is can i save any info off of the HD? it is a windows error i am sure but i don't want to re install xp or f-disk until i can retrieve some items from the hd if possible.

any help will be greatly appriciated. it is mostly pics i want to save.

i have enough space on this hd to ghost the image on to a second partition but i really don't want to do that if at all possible. i have another hd i can put in the other pc but it is only a 8 gb hd so a ghost is not possible

help
    help
    help

chris

2. Anon1

Anon1

There are so many options depending on your available hardware, software, and experience.

The easiest might be:

Use a "Live CD" version of Linux, like Knoppix, to boot from the Linux cd and copy your files onto the good drive. This depends if you can download the Knoppix image which is probably close to 650mb, have a cd burner to burn it to disk, and then a cd-rom drive that will allow you to boot from it.

3. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

what was the exact error message?

i bet your MBR (master boot record) was corrupted. easy fix, you loose nothing.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

If it said that the MBR was corrupted, you just pop the XP disk in, go to the Recovery console, and type 'fixmbr'. From a DOS prompt, it is 'fdisk /mbr'. Easy!

If you don't have another machine running XP, then buy a cheapo HD, install XP on it (don't worry about activation) from the machine that broke down.

If you are running XP on the other PC, then you can skip that step and just slave the old HD into that machine and copy everything over.

Just make sure the drives are jumpered correctly and you will have no problems. I perform this operation on a near-daily basis with no troubles.

Good luck,

FastVFR

5. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Some physical failures cause damage to the disks themselves, which destroys data. The damaged area can expand with continued use. If this is your case, it is vital you immediately salvage whatever data is recoverable. I would suggest you remove the HDD and mount it in your other PC, then go data mining. If the disk is then accessible, go for the files you consider valuable (E-mail, bookmarks, etc.) and copy them to the known good HDD. Then try to effect a repair. If your HDD is eating itself and you attempt a repair first, you will continue to loose data and the repair might not be effective.

BTW, in my experience, if you hear a sound from the HDD reminiscent of a ticking grandfather’s clock when it is seeking data, your heads are thrashing and your HDD is nigh unto death; recover what you can and put the HDD out to pasture.