close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hard Drive questions.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Freeze N, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Freeze N

Freeze N I Hate Snow

My 5 year old hard drive has started making a clicking sound when copying files. This has happened only about 2 or 3 times. Most of the time it is silent. Do you think this may be an indication that it may fail soon?

We received new computors at work this week, so I robbed a 40 gig HD out of one of the old ones. The hard drive is only 2 years old or so, and the company didn't want the old computors.
    Anyway I installed this in my computor as a backup so to speak, and copied all of my pictures and some other stuff to this newest HD. I left the original HD set at Master, and the newest to slave. It is working fine.
    I have some programs on my Original HD that I would like to move to the new one. Can I just copy the .exe of the program to the new one? I really don't want to Ghost the old to the new one.
    My plan is to set the new one to master or computor select, upon failer of the old HD. They both have Windows 2000 on them. What about drivers ect? What else should I try and move over to the new one?
    Thanks

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Other things to back up would be savegame files (if such games are installed), bookmarks/favorites, and the address book.

Drivers and such...don't bother. Just DL new ones when the time comes.

And yes, grab just the installer files for the games and such you want to keep. Some older games are transferrable but most need to be installed with components added into the OS itself.

3. Freeze N

Freeze N I Hate Snow

The programs I want to transfer are not gameing programs, just photo programs and such. I didn't know if they would reinstall properly on the new drive by just opening the .exe program.

What do you think the clicking that I am getting occasionally on the old HD is? Like I said it's only happened twice.

I have defragmented the drive fairly recently.

Anyone?

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

That clicking is usually the beginning of the end for a HDD, is what that is.

It is the result of wear allowing things to come into contact that shouldn't. Which results in more wear and eventually a dead hard drive.

That's why I recommend you back up any essential data to DVD-/+RW or an external HDD when a drive starts to do this sort of thing, and then reinstall XP with a new HDD in the machine.

Once XP is all set up with drivers and AV/malware apps in place, scan the old drive for virii, then run the old data onto the new drive. After that it's a simple matter to harden XP off, install the old apps and move the saved data folders back into their proper locations in those apps; before long, the system's as good as new again.