close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hard Drive Question`

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Chevytuff19, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

About every 10 minutes or so, my hard drive with act like it is all of a sudden running at 100% for about 2-3 seconds. During that time, the computer is pretty much frozen, but returns to normal after the short period. It is really annoying while playing games, making Power Point presentations. It is a Hitachi 80 gig 7200 rpm hard drive in an HP zv6000 laptop. Thanks for any help.

Wes

2. srhoades

srhoades

The problem is not the hard drive, that is just a symptom. The problem has to be some other program either running on the foreground or background that has to periodically read/write from the hard drive. Shut down all non-essential programs, check for spyware/viruses and see if it continues.

3. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

What could be causing this. I closed AIM and Weatherbug and all the processes that I knew could safely be closed and it will still do it randomly. I ran Ad-Aware, WT Registry Cleaner, and CCleaner. Still does it....please help :(

BTW, I am running McAfee Virus protection too.

Thanks,

Wes

4. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

How much memory do you have in that PC? It could just be swapping to a pagefile. You may also want to defragment your harddrive.

5. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

I have 1 gig of ram. I also defragment the hard drive once a month whether it needs it or not. I have the pagefile set for 1,512KB and that is also the maximum. It might be the pagefile....how do you guys have yours set up?

Thanks,
    Wes

6. hogglock

hogglock

With a gig of RAM, you can ALMOST get away without a pagefile.
    Try setting the slider to the minimum. But I'll bet you've got some kind of malware...

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.