Hard drive partitioning question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by WINGS, Apr 6, 2007.

1. WINGS

WINGS CLM

My wife has a new Dell XPS 710 on the way. She ordered it with 2 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s (7200 RPM) w/Data Burst Cache drives.
    Is it worth partitioning the drives??? One drive will be used exclusively for her photography hobby and the software and also to store all of the photos. If so can you suggest some good partitioning software??
    Thanks
    W

2. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

What OS are you using? Windows has all the tools that you need for partitioning the hard drive.

If you want a utility I use Partition Magic at work.

3. chbix

chbix

what windows partiioning tools? I remeber Fdisk but thats not available in XP i dont think.

I personally have used partition magic and it works good.

As for reasons too why you would partion, would be that it would make sense to have the OS an programs stored on 1 partition and then all of the data on another.

Example of why. if you get a virus or have an OS issue that causes you to reformat, instead of reformating EVERYTHING and having to back up all the data, you can simply format the partition and be back on your way.

I think mainly partiions are for organizaion. its really up to you. 1 TB of storage huh? I just bought a 150 sata and thought that was cool....but I know photo editing and stuff can eat space.

4. Brass Nazi

If you are using W2K or XP right click on the my computer icon and select management, then select disk management. This utility will let you partition and format drives with a fat 32 or NFTS partition.

5. WINGS

WINGS CLM

The new PC was ordered with XP Pro

6. chbix

chbix

ill have to check my xp home cause I dont think i can partition, I know i can format but ..... interesting. Will it do non destructive if you wanted to format a current single drive into 2 partitions? Thats kinda cool

7. Brass Nazi

No, it will not allow you to seperate partitions and retain the data. Partition magic is one program that will do that.

I use partition magic to set up Linux partitions on machines that have only one large non Linux partition so that I can make it a dual boot system.

8. SomeDay

SomeDay

+1. This has saved me on more than one occassion. Mess up the OS for one reason or another and you still have all your files. My normal "set-up" - one partition for OS, one for "programs", another for files and back up. Now that I have the space, I have the one for files and backup, and another as a dedicated workspace. While this may be simply AR on my part, it makes organization easier.

9. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Why?

Some may argue my opinion but here it is:

I.M.O.

There is no longer a practical reason, or need, to repartition drives as the operating system can manage the entire drive. Determining a good, read simple, folder arrangement is more important in Windoze than having multiple partitions. Using a good backup software with an read/writable DVD is advised.

A partition is technically a huge file. If the File Allocation Tables get damaged that partition, a file, can be unreadable and unrecoverable (read gone). There is a good chance a lost partition can be recovered but why chance it by sub-partitioning the drive smaller than the original size that they come in?

If the drive is setup or converted to NTFS it is more stable and manageable. I would recommend converting the drives from FAT to NTFS, in my experience, as most drives are not NTFS from the factory. This tool it is in the management folder.

Next I believe it is important to set up permanent swap files on both drives to total twice the available RAM. That is each drive's swap file needs to be set to at least the same size as the computer's RAM. This works well and provides more speed and stability. Do these things before loading any new software onto the drives.

In addition Spinrite 6.0 is a great tool to keep the drive's data in tip top shape. You can download it from www.grc.com for around $70.00 and it is worth the money. There are newer and maybe even more powerful software data maintenance & recovery tools on the market as well.

And a good anti-spyware/adware/malware, antivirus and firewall package is a requirement and not an option today. I have settled on a product known as ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. You can go to ZoneLabs for $49.00 downloaded the suite and it is only $70.00 for a three computer license, get the yearly download option too for $8.00.

Best wishes and good computing!

Herb

:supergrin: :thumbsup: ;) :)

10. malkore

malkore

When you run Windows setup by booting from the CD, you get partition options during the setup.

I would suggest just mirror'ing the data from one drive to the other. 500gb is a ton...better to have redundancy/backup on her life's work of photographs, and a good organization scheme.

11. SomeDay

SomeDay

+1

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If you need a partition tool, I really like Gparted Live. It doesn't require an OS, you simply set your BIOS to boot from CD, burn the image to a disk, and restart. It works great, and can format almost any filesystem there is. Plus its free..

IGF

13. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I wouldn't create any more partitions than the two primary partitions on the drives.

I wouldn't dick with the system drive (c:\)at all. There might be a restore partition on it and you could really screw things up unless you know what you are doing. Just go with the primary partition and leave it at that.

As far as the second (D:\) drive, just create a photography directory and make the necessary sub-directories as needed. Focus on a data back up strategy, that's the most important thing.

If the Vista Dells are anything like the XP Dells your first task should be a system clean up because they have way to much worthless crap running in the background as services.