close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hard drive help.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Unlocked, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Unlocked

Unlocked 4 8 15 16 23 42 CLM

I am in need of a new 80gb hard drive for my Toshiba laptop. I've looked around a few places. I don't know if I need a SATA drive or not. How do I tell short of taking it apart. This laptop is not quite a year and a half old. Too young to need a hard drive. But haveing a couple of qualified friends look at it. I am apparantly SOL and am just going to have to replace it. According to one guy at a computer shop SATA is kind of new and I probably don't have it. But he wasn't sure and I have no idea. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Darkmage

Darkmage

I wasn't aware that they made SATA drives for laptops. Hmm...

[search] [search] [search] [search]

I'll be damned. Cool.

You probably do not have a SATA drive. The easiest thing to do is to check out the receipt you got with your laptop and see what it says about your hard drive. Have you tried going to Toshiba's web site and plugging in your laptop model?

3. srhoades

srhoades

Your going to have to take the drive out anyway, open it up now and find out.

4. Unlocked

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like I probably don't have a SATA drive. I haven't tried looking on the Toshiba site but I will soon. My next question is, Does the new drive have to be the same rpm as the old, or will a different rpm cause a problem? Basically I'm looking at getting one at a parts store here locally and It looks like my options are pretty narrow as far as brand. It seems to me that brand and rpm don't really matter as long as it's not any slower I should be fine. I have the restoration disk and key code for the OS. So I think I'm good to go?

Thanks for the help so far any more replies are welcome.

5. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I'm curious.. what is it about the drive that made your friends think it was bad..??..

Did they try chkdsk? If so, did it say there were bad sectors and did they try a /f?

How are you going to rebuild the system once you replace the drive?

6. Unlocked

My error log contains numerous "bad block" logs. When everything started I thought I had a virus. After updating, cleaning up, virus scanning, putting all kinds of adware ect. I looked around and found my error log. So after I discovered the bad blocks I ran a error check which literally took 12-13 hrs. I then defraged the hard drive. Still had trouble so I talked to two different friends and finally had one come over who ran another error check. It has told me during the error checks and since then (during boot up I think) that it was attempting to recover bad sectors (or something of that nature). I get several different error messages saying "failure to write" or "invalid image" constantly and this thing is SLOOOOOOOW.

From what I understand a bad bloc is like a crack in the windsheild. It's only going to spread. Everyone I have talked to at length about this has told me my hard drive is toaste. Maybe we are wrong. But I'm pretty sure that it is.

7. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Yep.. That sounds like a bad drive alright..

How are you going to rebuild the system with your new drive?

8. Unlocked

I'm not real sure what you mean by rebuild. There isn't much on our computer to back up. The only thing I was going to back up was our pictures, but all of those are still on the camera. The restoration disk has the OS on it. I have a friend that will help me tackle this. I just need to get the right hard drive and get with him one day. If there is something else I'm missing, please let me know. I'm really very uneducated about computers.

I looked up the hard drive model # and found the specs on line that said it was an ATA and not Serial. 5400 rpm and 16mb cache. I'm not sure what the cache is. Some of the drives I've been looking at only have an 8mb cache. I have found the exact Toshiba drive on E-bay that is new. I'm just not sure about going with one though as this one only lasted about a year and a half. Decisions decisions?

9. Darkmage

Darkmage

To answer your earlier question, a difference in drive speed will not cause any problems.

10. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

11. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

The only difference speed is going to make is a little more heat, maybe more noise, and in general uses more power. If you're concerned about battery life I'd check the watts used on you old drive and compare to the new drives. If battery life isn't a big issue I'd look in to a larger drive since the price really isn't that much different going from an 80gb to a 120gb.

12. Unlocked

Thanks everyone for the help. Hopefully next week I'll get this taken care of. :thumbsup: