close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hard Drive Enclosure Kit?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BilltheCat, Jan 14, 2007.

1. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

was thinking about one of these for a backup drive. Is the USB cable enough power to power a drive by itself?

I know I have a USB power cable for my cell phone, but considered that a lot smaller draw.

Just a thought. cheaper way to do a continuous backup of important files, docs, etc.

Lost it all with my Dell. Dont want to risk that again.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Some of the enclosures don't require a power supply, but most of them do. They are pretty easy to set up, and a cheap way to have a backup, especially if you already have a hard drive laying around.

IGF

3. WhatYouWant

WhatYouWant Duh!

I bought a few enclosures from Newegg and placed older EIDE drives into them. They are great for moving things between my friends and I.

When looking I usually find the enclosure and drives seperate save some money. I want to buy a network capable device (with at least RAID 1) but they are kinda expensive at this point. This would allow multiple computers to use the storage.

I also purchesed a program that will do automated backups to disk, network and burnable drives.

4. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

Which software did you buy. Do you like it??

RC

5. havensal

havensal Senior Nozzle Jockey CLM

I would also like to know. :beer:

6. WhatYouWant

WhatYouWant Duh!

Bought Ghost 10.0 from Norton. Seems to be ok but have not played with it much. I used an older version of Ghost a few years ago but it has changed since then.

7. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I bought a usb enclosure for the old 2.5 inch hdd from my notebook. Its strange cause the enclosure hdd runs great on my desktop, but wont run off my notebook. On the notebook it just clicks like its not got enough oomph to get going. I figure its its current problem with the laptop.

8. Toyman

Toyman

9. Perrito

Perrito Millennium Member

This HDD enclosure by Apricorn is the best one I have used. It is not cheaply made at all, like most others I have seen. It has it's own cooling fan which is extremely effective in keeping things cold inside. It also comes with Hard Drive backup software that is as good as many "ghost backup" titles out there which enables exact cloning of a hard drive for painless HDD upgrades without an OS reinstall. It's like buying HDD cloning software and getting a quality enclosure for free.....Apricorn USB Enclosure .

10. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Toyman,

Scroll down through the comments. An Acronis rep posted on there saying that it wasn't a free offer for everyone. It was a promotional deal for readers of a specific magazine in Europe. Not sure if that makes a difference to you, but there may be some problem obtaining the serial and installing version 7.0.

Joey

11. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

I have had several external HDD enclosures. The ones for laptop HDDs (1.8”-2.5”) generally are powered only by the USB cable. The small HDD makes for a much smaller device but these smaller format HDDs are more expensive (GBs per $) and also have a lesser capacity (generally ~200GB or less).

Cases that accommodate standard (3.5”) HDDs generally have an additional power supply. For a stationary backup device, I would recommend you get a 3.5” enclosure. I also concur with using New Egg as a source.

Right now I’ve got a 250GB IDE HDD that’s been chugging away in a LaCie enclosure for about two years. The fan’s noisy but it’s performed flawlessly. And I have a 500GB SATA HDD in a fanless Vantec enclosure. It’s silent (other than HDD noise) but it needs an occasional nudge (once every week or two) to keep it awake.

As for a backup application, what’s wrong with NTBackup? It does a perfectly good backup and it’s included with XP/Win2K3/Vista. Plus you can schedule it to run unattended while you’re asleep or out feeding the alligators in your moat. The principal disadvantage is that if your PC poops the bed, you can’t boot off the backup media and restore it. You have to reload the OS, then restore the backup.

12. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

I dont use Microslop anymore. I have an iMac now. OSX has more in common with unix than NT. I appreicate your comments on enclosures however. Thanks.

13. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

My bad. I forgot you'd gone over. Congratulations on the epiphany/conversion.

This is a fairly current (March 2006) discussion of OSX backup tools.

As for network storage, I have an Infrant NAS that I’m happy with. It’s RAID5 and 1.3TB usable capacity. It’s not what I’d call a bargain solution but it does give you all manner of flexibility for backups when you have such an enormous amount of storage space just waiting out on the network.

14. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Does your Apple use a SATA 2.5" drive? If so, let me know and I'll send you an Apricorn USB enclosure.

Dell shipped it to me instead of an IDE enclosure. They gave me credit, and didn't want it back either.

It's just an enclosure, you provide the drive.