close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hard Drive Back Up Questions

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by spotco2, Mar 10, 2010.

1. spotco2

spotco2

Back in 07 when I bought this computer I also purchased a 300 Gig external hard drive.

Like a good little wanna-be geek, I did a full backup and set up incrimental backups to occur once a week.

My computer is fine and is having no issues to speak of. I just discovered that my external hard drive is completely full and the last time it was able to perform a backup was in December 2009.

I'm thinking the easiest thing to do is just delete all of the old backups and start fresh with a new full back up.

Am I correct?

Would I be better off just deleting everything or would I come out better reformatting the external hard drive?

2. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

I would never throw away any previous back up. You may wish you still had it later on. Get another external HD -- they're fairly cheap now -- and perform another BU to that. My 2 cents.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010

3. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Yup, that's what I'd do.

Or, for ~90 bucks you could buy a brand new 1 Terabyte drive from these guys: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822242013

Actually, the second thing is what I'd do. The first thing is what I'd do if I wasn't me.

ETA: Contrary to Zell's advice backups NEED to be dumped periodically. Old backups can cause more harm than good.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

If you're going to blow it all away, reformat. It's cleaner and you don't end up with file fragments that may or may not confuse the OS later.

Make sure to reformat it NTFS if you get the choice.

5. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

Yup!!

I ONLY do full backups, and just keep the last 3.

My computers are configured with a c: drive for the OS and applications, and a d:drive for data.

I copy the changed data drive to a 16G thumb drive whenever I have done any significant work that I don't want to risk losing.

I back up the OS/App drive once a month or before any big changes (like a major install or an upgrade of an important app)

The data drive also gets backed up once a month, but as I pointed out, any significant changes to the data are cloned onto my thumb drive.

6. BEANCOUNTER

BEANCOUNTER Millennium Member

Western Digital has an external backup product, WD My Book Mirror Edition USB. Mine is a black box with 2 terabite drives (raid) and strange blue light. What is nice about the product is that it does a continuous (real-time) backup of your data.

What My Book doesn't do is make a mirror copy of your entire hard drive. It's purpose in life is to backup your data files, not your system files and program files. The software could be better, but it does work. If you disconnect My Book, the software keeps track of changed files and resumes backing up when you reconnect.

I use a Maxtor external drive and Norton's Ghost to backup everything.

7. spotco2

spotco2

So y'all are suggesting that I leave the existing hd full, stick it in the safe and replace it?

8. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Great topic, thank you.

OP- Here is what I do and suggest-

1. Go out and get a bigger external HD for the PC, back up everything and have room to spare.

2. Keep the old HD with essential stuff only on it and keep it in your personal vehicle.

Why to I do this?

If my home is ever burned down, robbed or the PC or HD fail, I always have a remote back up with me. AND- in my travels, sometimes I might need to give someone a file or have them give one to me. I am always ready for the trade.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Not me. Get another drive and back up to it.
    Take this drive and put it in the safe
    When you have 3 or 4 full backups on the new drive switch them out and reformat this drive.
    Repeat until you no longer have a computer.

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I spent last week messing w/ a free disk cloning program called "Clonezilla"... Great program, and doesn't cost a nickel.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1192104

11. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member