close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hard Chrome upgrade Q?

Discussion in 'Kel-Tec Talk' started by Rusty Shackleford, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

Does anyone know when Kel-Tec tripled the cost of upgrading a slide to HC?

I had been unaware that you could even do this, but came across many posts saying that it cost $25.

Just got an email back from Kel-Tec saying it's $75 now and that's enough difference that I'm not likely to bother with it.

2. notsobigal

notsobigal

3. Wilson 17&26

Wilson 17&26

Prior to the introduction of the Second Generation P-3AT, Kel-Tec would swap slide & barrel for Hard Chrome plus pay shipping back to the customer for $20. It was a real money loser for the company, so I took advantage of it many times :cool:

IIRC it was in 2005.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

Thanks guys :supergrin:

I'm looking into the nickel plating so i can keep the slide (since it is flawless function-wise) and also waiting to hear back from KT about how much a HC slide would cost if purchased as parts.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

For what it's worth, I contacted KT about their pricing..

The price of the HC slide itself is $90 outright

or

$75 + a like-new slide

I wonder which they prefer =)

6. Wilson 17&26

Wilson 17&26

I’d bet they would prefer $90 to $75, as its more money in their pocket. Kel-Tec will throw your old slide in the steel recycle bin rather than having it chromed. Kel-Tec will not sell used parts based on what I was told (liability thing) so you should get a new slide either way. As for the price difference, Kel-Tec may be interested in keeping spare parts off the market or simply helping off set your cost of shipping your slide back to their recycle bin.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

For $30 + return shipping, do yourself a huge favor and send it to Jack Fuselier in Texas, I did and I love it:

[​IMG]

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

Thank you, Doc! (seeing these same pics over at KTOG actually prompted me to send mine off to Jack)

I took your advise, and my P3AT slide arrived back yesterday. He does very nice work!

My P32 slide was already in a PO box on its way to Jack before I went to bed last night.. :cool:

Heck of a deal to get "rust insurance" on two slides for less than the cost of the HC swap and I really like the feel of the slide now too if that makes any sense. I ran one mag through it just to make sure everything was reassembled well and functioning, and was amazed at how easily the fouling wiped off.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Glad you like it! It's sure cheaper to just buy the blued model and send it off to Jack, than to spend the extra $$$ and search FOREVER for a Factory Hard Chrome P32.

Don't know if it has anything to do with the nickel plating, but it feels like the slide serrations 'bite' quite a bit more and allow me a better grip while racking the slide.

I haven't shot mine yet, but plan on getting up to the range in the next couple of days to do a proper break-in.